Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Tail lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The additional wire is to separate the brake and turn signal lights.

I don't think that a car without the extra wire would ever light the amber portion of the lights.

Actually that's incorrect.

The old tail lights already have separate wires for turn and brakes, you can see the separate pins for each function.

New Model Y Tail lights?

Others have look at the issue back from the Model 3 days and determine it is a software configuration change that's technically possible but not something Tesla is doing, at least for now.
Looking for someone to help order EU tail lights

That may change based on the comment from the service center in the post earlier in this thread.

The only question I don't have an answer to is in the old euro tails lights there is an additional pin, but it may be related to rear fog lights or something else (I'm not 100% sure about this).

Right. Not unless some electronics genius comes up with a module that can detect feeds from braking vs. turn signal (then split it into two outgoing wires for the new lights) which are currently fed through the same wire that lights up the LED bar. Seems doable but way above my pay grade. :p
The additional wire is to separate the brake and turn signal lights.

I don't think that a car without the extra wire would ever light the amber portion of the lights.

The 3-wire harness drives tail lights and the turn/brake center section. The 4-wire harness adds the outer “C” as a brake light. However, unless your car came with amber tail lights, pressing the brake will light up the center amber (combo brake/turn signal) along with the “C.” (Which is what the wire does with the red turn signals)

Those of us with 4-wire harnesses and red turn signals who replaced them with amber need Tesla to disable the amber section from illuminating upon braking.

So the three wire harness will light the center section no matter what color it is.

See attached photos. Same car with a 4-wire harness. You can see what lights up when. These photos lead me to the opinion that the 3-wire harness has brakes and turn signals on the same wire, which is either solid or blinking depending on the function, while I think that the 4th wire solely is the outer C for brakes.

Notice that whether the tail light has 3 or 4 wires, the center segment (red or amber) always is on when the brakes are activated. You cannot see from the photos, but the C segment lights up brighter when the headlights are on and the brake is pressed.

The folks who upgraded our tail lights are waiting for Tesla to turn off the center segment when the brake pedal is pressed.

Original RED Taillights
1 RED Headlights.jpg 2 RED Turn Signals.jpg 3 RED Brakes.jpg

Replacement Amber Taillights
1 Amber Headlights.jpg 2 Amber Turn Signals.jpg 3 Amber Brakes.jpg

Last edited:
See attached photos. Same car with a 4-wire harness. You can see what lights up when. These photos lead me to the opinion that the 3-wire harness has brakes and turn signals on the same wire, which is either solid or blinking depending on the function, while I think that the 4th wire solely is the outer C for brakes.

Notice that whether the tail light has 3 or 4 wires, the center segment (red or amber) always is on when the brakes are activated. You cannot see from the photos, but the C segment lights up brighter when the headlights are on and the brake is pressed.

The folks who upgraded our tail lights are waiting for Tesla to turn off the center segment when the brake pedal is pressed.

Original RED Taillights
View attachment 609965 View attachment 609966 View attachment 609967

Replacement Amber Taillights
View attachment 609973 View attachment 609979 View attachment 609977

I don't think that's correct (with regards to the turn/brake lines). Recall that there are distinct wires for brake and turn signal in the original 3-wire configuration. My understanding is that the car itself is sending the signal for both the turn and brake lights under most braking conditions because that was what it was designed to do. It only appears to be the same wire because the the car is making it look like that. A configuration change should be able to change the behavior to only send the signal to the brake lights and not to the turn lights as well.

Reactions: Mrbrock
Well let's think about it for a sec. 3-wires so can we assume 1 of those must be ground? That leaves 2 wires to supply 12V for controlling lights. What functions do we have? Brake, turn, backup. So how does 3 functions work on 2 wires? Am I missing something?

Well let's think about it for a sec. 3-wires so can we assume 1 of those must be ground? That leaves 2 wires to supply 12V for controlling lights. What functions do we have? Brake, turn, backup. So how does 3 functions work on 2 wires? Am I missing something?
3 wires — ground, brake/turn, tail light. When the car is braking the brake/turn is constant. When the turn signal is on, brake/turn blinks.

With the 4-wire harness and native amber lights, brake and turn are separate wires. But on pre-amber 4-wire cars, turn is still driven as brake/turn even though the fourth wire is driven correctly as brake which makes the outer C brighter.

We are waiting for Tesla to disable brake on the brake/turn wire.

Reactions: richoki
Oh man... I just read this entire thread...

I picked up my MY on June 29, 2020 - I'll need to collect my VIN, but I have all red tails... and I'm wanting the new amber turn signals. I despise red turn signals. EU has it correct!

From what I just read, we can swap/replace - but need to check wiring harness coming out of the body/trunk/hatch - and then spend nearly 200ea for the new taillights? I'm hopeful for a cheaper alternative that is more plug/play and potentially cheaper - but I also think that the early adopters are few and far between, with only a few thousand MY's out there before Tesla swapped red to amber turn signals.

m.

Reactions: RNHurt
My 2021 72xxxvin Y is in the service center to get delivery issues worked on.

One of the issues I had listed was taillight fitment issues. I got a email yesterday that they ordered l:

LAMPASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, LH
Part #: 1077397-00-G

Looking it up it shows as a 2017-2020 m3 driver outer tail light.

Apparently from this thread, 1502086-00-B would be the newer part number for the driver outer tail light.

Should I be concerned? I hope they didn't order me the incorrect part and I have to make them aware of this. Already not having a good experience with them.

Last edited:

One of the issues I had listed was taillight fitment issues. I got a email yesterday that they ordered l:

Apparently from this thread, 1502086-00-B would be the newer part number for the driver outer tail light.

Should I be concerned? I hope they didn't order me the incorrect part and I have to make them aware of this. Already not having a good experience with them.
Wouldn't hurt to ask them to confirm the number for you.

New:
LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, LH 1502086-00-B
LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, RH 1502087-00-B

Old:
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, LH 1077397-00-G
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, RH 1077398-00-F

New:
LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, LH 1502086-00-B
LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, RH 1502087-00-B

Old:
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, LH 1077397-00-G
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, RH 1077398-00-F
Yeah I sent them a message on Friday and they said they would look into it. I'm now thinking they want to wait to get the part and make a decision. Shitty thing is that I have to wait til Wednesday as that's when the part comes in.

Give it up already.

Just run a wire from the side turn signals (repeaters) to the amber connection in the rear lights. Thereby adding the 4th pin connection. There is no magical software update Tesla can do without changing the wire harness and I assure you that Tesla will never swap/rewire the harness in your existing early delivery car.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gigaron and Kobicue
Give it up already.

Just run a wire from the side turn signals (repeaters) to the amber connection in the rear lights. Thereby adding the 4th pin connection. There is no magical software update Tesla can do without changing the wire harness and I assure you that Tesla will never swap/rewire the harness in your existing early delivery car.
Can’t. The 3 wire harness has turn/brakes on the center segment - which is red for old, amber for new. The 4th (new) wire drives the outer C for brakes.

Reactions: richoki
Can’t. The 3 wire harness has turn/brakes on the center segment - which is red for old, amber for new. The 4th (new) wire drives the outer C for brakes.

Sensei says "You have not yet tried hard enough Grasshopper" The pins in the harness are removeable and moveable therefore you can you can move the pin to the outer position and add a new pin to the center position.

Just picked up my Y and they indeed put in the old version taillight. Blinker is red compared to that otherside that's yellow/amber.

Good thing about this thread or I wouldn't have ever known to check before I left.
A driver pulled up next to me to let me know my LH taillight brakeklight does not come on.

So it's not just a different turn signal but the brake light does not engage for the incorrect taillight part which is more of a safety concern.

Last edited: