Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Tail lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
damn, the early adopters get screwed over and over. Let's see.... $3000 bucks price cut, door buttons, now tail-light, who knows maybe the motors too... With Tesla stock north of $2000, what would Elon do to make this right?

Did you find your car to be worth it when you purchased it? I presume so. This is how things work. Be glad you’ll get software updates instead of a middle finger like you would from other manufacturers.

And yes, I was a Model 3 early adopter. I could buy a loaded Model 3 P now for what my AWD cost at the time. I’m glad I didn’t wait.

damn, the early adopters get screwed over and over. Let's see.... $3000 bucks price cut, door buttons, now tail-light, who knows maybe the motors too... With Tesla stock north of $2000, what would Elon do to make this right?
Or if this was a "normal" car company, you would just wait for model year 2021 for any improvements.

Eh...nobody got screwed. Tesla iterates fast. Comparing Tesla to the big three auto manufacturers is apples and oranges. They will iterate. Often. In line...not wait until the next model year. I applaud them for this. Also, Sandy Munro's comment that since he did the Model Y teardown they found 13 improvements to the octovalve. This is what is means to own a Tesla. If you want the line to remain static, and everyone else behind you to never get improvements, then you don't have the right sight picture. I bet if it were you that received these improvements in front of others, you wouldn't demand they give you the older model without the improvements!

I'd say making constant improvements is what Tesla is doing to make it right.

Not picking on you - just commenting that this rapid iteration keeps them lean and always looking for improvements. I say bravo!

For what it's worth, my friend told the sales advisor it's not a software update and got a response a few days later saying he'll get the new tail light design.

I don't see how it can be a software update - the LEDs are installed. Unless they came with multi-color lights, which I doubt. Never know!

You're missing the point. Every other standard car would be what first came out and improvements would not be likely to show up until the next model year. Early adopters didn't get screwed. Also, there's likely to be a bit of constant churn with all the models that will make it hard to choose the right point to buy. For me, I knew it was time to buy a Y when I had $70,000 in earnings on Tesla stock...

Reactions: decrypt
It looks like the new tail lights are now listed in the parts catalog:

LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, LH 1502086-00-B
LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, RH 1502087-00-B

(And they are listed as over-the-counter so anyone should be able to buy them, not that that means they will work properly. Also, the hatch side lights are different as well, and I don't know if you would need to change both.)

vs. the US ones:

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, LH 1077397-00-G
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, RH 1077398-00-F

Last edited:
It looks like the new tail lights are now listed in the parts catalog:

LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, LH 1502086-00-B
LAMP ASY, BODYSIDE GLOBAL, RH 1502087-00-B

(And they are listed as over-the-counter so anyone should be able to buy them, not that that means they will work properly. Also, the hatch side lights are different as well, and I don't know if you would need to change both.)

vs. the US ones:

LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, LH 1077397-00-G
LAMP ASY, REAR BODYSIDE SAE, RH 1077398-00-F

Thanks for the update...now to find out how much this is going to cost me, haha!!