Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Traction battery breaking in period

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Received the model Y on May 30, so 23 days ago and since it’s a long range, I’ve charged it maybe 5 times at 90%. The first time at 90% it read 277 miles, and the miles started creeping up slowly at 90% after the next 4 charges, now at 281 miles. The full charge 100% read 310 miles last week and not the 316. So next Friday morning I will charge to 100% for the Vegas trip and see if it will stop at 314 miles

Anyone seeing this breaking in of the battery? I remember the Model 3 went through the same break in.

Fred

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
There is no “breaking in” of a battery.

What you’re likely experiencing is just the calibration of the BMS range estimate. I suggest setting that energy display to percentage and getting your available range information from the navigation app or energy graph.

Here’s a little more background on BMS calibration and brick rebalancing: Tesla Official Statement on Range

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
There is no “breaking in” of a battery.

What you’re likely experiencing is just the calibration of the BMS range estimate. I suggest setting that energy display to percentage and getting your available range information from the navigation app or energy graph.

Here’s a little more background on BMS calibration and brick rebalancing: Tesla Official Statement on Range
Thanks! Will do that.

Fred

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC