Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y Very satisfying but NO HOMELINK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent 2.5 hours trying to extract the homelink module from a 2018 Model 3 and then rage quit because I accepted that it was impossible without removing the bumper.

I then purchased one on Ebay for $100 and plan to install it in the Model Y myself (they've made it a lot easier to access now).
Will need to pay for service to enable the software function though.

Btw, if someone knows how to remove the homelink module from the old Model 3 - without bumper removal - please let me know.

Instead of purchasing the Homelink I decided to use the trusty garage door remote that clips to the sun visor. It's incredibly low tech but it works.
A good option for many but I have 3 remotes I'd have to clip to the visor - one for my garage, one for the subdivision gate and another for my daughter's subdivision gate - so Homelink was a better choice for me.

A good option for many but I have 3 remotes I'd have to clip to the visor - one for my garage, one for the subdivision gate and another for my daughter's subdivision gate - so Homelink was a better choice for me.

Ive heard too many stories of people having their car broken into and having their remote stolen along with their registration that has their address. My wife carries hers in her purse, but I don't carry a bag. While I do agree a $50-$70k car should come with it, it is still worth $300 (installed) IMO. A little steep, but still very useful. It works very well and pops up as I get closer to my garage. Very convenient and no remote needed!

Reactions: UnicornDriver
I don't use the automatic close feature when leaving because I'm OCD and want to see the door close.
I'm OCD too, but I can see the door in my rearview as I drive away.

Do you have the Chamberlain MyQ opener? If so, you can set up the app to send you a notification if the door is left open for a prolonged period of time. Mine is set for 15 minutes. It's saved me a couple of times.

Reactions: Kennymb5384
As a last resort you can even use the garage door openers that you probably already have just saying ??

Bam! :D

$300 and another first world problem solved...
8DDFA860-F5FF-41F7-8076-7C1B9A7D4787.jpeg
1059FD48-88A6-4496-BA10-44B6F123209A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I spent 2.5 hours trying to extract the homelink module from a 2018 Model 3 and then rage quit because I accepted that it was impossible without removing the bumper.

I then purchased one on Ebay for $100 and plan to install it in the Model Y myself (they've made it a lot easier to access now).
Will need to pay for service to enable the software function though.

Btw, if someone knows how to remove the homelink module from the old Model 3 - without bumper removal - please let me know.

I actually did exactly this. I was able to unplug and detach the HL module from the mount on my 2018 Model 3 sticking my fingers thru, but ended up removing the bumper coz the module won’t fit out thru the small opening.

I had to do this to test this extra HL module that I took from my totaled Model X - and it worked, so then...

Then installed (plugged) the HL module (same model part number I took from my totaled Model X) to my Model Y. Paid Tesla $97 (45 min labor cost) to program the HL function.

2018 Model 3 HL module location:7DD877C9-BEA8-41A6-8F95-20965C9E8F0F.jpeg

Last edited:
I actually did exactly this. I was able to unplug and detach the HL module from the mount on my 2018 Model 3 sticking my fingers thru, but ended up removing the bumper coz the module won’t fit out thru the small opening.

I had to do this to test this extra HL module that I took from my totaled Model X - and it worked, so then...

Then installed (plugged) the HL module (same model part number I took from my totaled Model X) to my Model Y. Paid Tesla $97 (45 min labor cost) to program the HL function.

2018 Model 3 HL module location:View attachment 631788

It must have been frustrating to get THAT far and then have to remove the bumper anyway.
I could not get enough leverage while contorting my hand to fit through the gap, so I couldn't even unmount it.

There is very little content out there about this process, so thanks for the insight.

I'm hoping that installing it in the Y is going to be easy (per some videos) and that they won't charge me the "DIY'er tax" when they find out I did it myself.
$100USD is a little steep, when the whole point of this was to save $300USD. Maybe I can work the Homelink activation into my delivery.

..I wonder if they can "Activate" the feature BEFORE I install the module..

It must have been frustrating to get THAT far and then have to remove the bumper anyway.
I could not get enough leverage while contorting my hand to fit through the gap, so I couldn't even unmount it.

There is very little content out there about this process, so thanks for the insight.

I'm hoping that installing it in the Y is going to be easy (per some videos) and that they won't charge me the "DIY'er tax" when they find out I did it myself.
$100USD is a little steep, when the whole point of this was to save $300USD. Maybe I can work the Homelink activation into my delivery.

..I wonder if they can "Activate" the feature BEFORE I install the module..
Install to the Y is easy, takes removing the frunk tub and plugging the HL module to the connector. I ended up setting the HL module on top of (circled yellow) vs screwing the mounting bracket to actual location (circled red) becoz the bolt is somewhat short. It works fine on the yellow location.

The connector is capped, under the frunk tub driver side by the wheel well (green)8D8A0861-826C-463C-AED0-34B8042A4865.jpeg

The Tesla tech took 45 mins on mine, he had to push the software update like 3 times - some peeps were done faster about 30 mins, half hour labor cost ~$60.
CE4F6DD7-82E9-47A4-9612-752C389D3147.jpeg
or do MyQ for ~$30. Not sure of the best geofence option w/ Tesla though?

That could work, only there is this cell signal dud around 100 meters around my house. I actually use MyQ whenever HL missfires.

And, HL is integrated with Summon gimmick where you can Summon in or out of a closed garage. I’m too chicken to try. :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: Carlvs
Ive heard too many stories of people having their car broken into and having their remote stolen along with their registration that has their address. My wife carries hers in her purse, but I don't carry a bag. While I do agree a $50-$70k car should come with it, it is still worth $300 (installed) IMO. A little steep, but still very useful. It works very well and pops up as I get closer to my garage. Very convenient and no remote needed!
Why would getting into their garage allow access to the inside of their house? Surely they lock their doors :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Actually when I went from my Model S to a Model Y, I thought I would miss homelink and thought I would end up purchasing it. But I went back to the clip-on transmitter and it's a huge improvement. First off, the clip on is much more reliable and has much better range than HL did. If for some reason my garage doesn't open on the first press, I can reach up without looking and press the button again. With HL, I had to look at the screen, find the icon, and press. Even with auto-homelink I had to do this fairly regularly if the first press didn't take. Plus auto-homelink was usually more trouble than it was worth, because it never knew the starting point of the door, and therefore never knew if it was opening or closing.

I am much happier now with the clip-on.

Reactions: Carlvs
Agree that it should be standard. Another missing amenity is cooled seats. Seriously my wifes Subaru has them and my first model X had them. Anyway I digress. In my case as other have said mobile service came to my house and installed the homelink and programmed it. EZ PZ. Price of unit includes install fee.

Install to the Y is easy, takes removing the frunk tub and plugging the HL module to the connector. I ended up setting the HL module on top of (circled yellow) vs screwing the mounting bracket to actual location (circled red) becoz the bolt is somewhat short. It works fine on the yellow location.

The connector is capped, under the frunk tub driver side by the wheel well (green)View attachment 631862

The Tesla tech took 45 mins on mine, he had to push the software update like 3 times - some peeps were done faster about 30 mins, half hour labor cost ~$60.
View attachment 631860

That could work, only there is this cell signal dud around 100 meters around my house. I actually use MyQ whenever HL missfires.

And, HL is integrated with Summon gimmick where you can Summon in or out of a closed garage. I’m too chicken to try. :confused:

Do you use a geofence app with MyQ. IFTT only has a close door at X pm option

Yes, the solution is simply to use the controller that you generally attach to the visor but attach it with velcro the back side of the display at the lower left hand corner. It is completely invisible and much more convenient than paying $300 to hunt for a button on the screen!

People are making this way too hard.

no hunting needed when the button pops up on it's own as you get within a certain distance from your house.

No need to take it in. You order the kit, DON'T open it (voids the install warranty), mobile service installs it at your home.

Theory is not enough buyers were actually using it...for whatever reason.
Actually to install Homelink in every car requires Tesla to pay a fee to Homelink, and some owners don’t even use it.

Yes, the solution is simply to use the controller that you generally attach to the visor but attach it with velcro the back side of the display at the lower left hand corner. It is completely invisible and much more convenient than paying $300 to hunt for a button on the screen!

People are making this way too hard.
That is certainly a solution but I have 3 remotes I'd have to attach and if your suggestion were "completely invisible" wouldn't activation be as difficult as hunting for a button on the screen?