Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When will a car be designated as a 2017? Does it occur from the build date or delivery date? Reason being is that I may delay my delivery for a 2017 model and I need to know what month I should take delivery. Sorry if this has been answered before.

When will a car be designated as a 2017? Does it occur from the build date or delivery date? Reason being is that I may delay my delivery for a 2017 model and I need to know what month I should take delivery. Sorry if this has been answered before.
As Kirk says, there are no model years as other manufacturers use. The 2017 "model year" starts 1 JAN 2017.

Build date. So from your lender, insurance company and DMV's point of view, as stated above, any car built after 1/1/2017 is a 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: ShadowR55
Yes, my DS says they go by strictly calendar year, so December 31 of this year will be a 2016 model and January 1 of 2017 will be next year's. The only exception was the signature models that was built in 2015 but designated 2016 model.

I think down the road when there are more Tesla's on the road they'll need to move to a model where major enhancements should associate with a year (or some other label). People will get more confused and will be hard to assess perceived valuation on each car.

______________________________________________________________________________________
On order: X90D Pearl White, tan leather, light headliner, 6 seater, 20", PUP, Sub-Zero, AP, Tow hitch
Tesla Discount Referral code: Referral | Tesla Motors

I know from browsing these forums that model year is not a factor for updates but from a resale value standpoint, I'm sure it will matter in the future.
I think not using model years will be a problem if/when there is a significant redesign during a calendar year, which hasn't happened yet, unless the all-new model carries some unique identifying name or ??? e.g. something like 2019 Model S for the old model and 2019 Model S 2.0 for the all-new model.

Otherwise, you could have two significantly different cars of the same model identified by the same year which will make it more difficult for pricing guides like KBB, NADA, etc. to gather data to value vehicles and therefore make it more difficult for banks/lenders, insurance companies, and others to value vehicles using such pricing guides.

I think not using model years will be a problem if/when there is a significant redesign during a calendar year, which hasn't happened yet, unless the all-new model carries some unique identifying name or ??? e.g. something like 2019 Model S for the old model and 2019 Model S 2.0 for the all-new model.

Otherwise, you could have two significantly different cars of the same model identified by the same year which will make it more difficult for pricing guides like KBB, NADA, etc. to gather data to value vehicles and therefore make it more difficult for banks/lenders, insurance companies, and others to value vehicles using such pricing guides.
Very true

Ok, so I paid my $2500 deposit on 6/25 for a mid December delivery and I too am now thinking about delaying until end of Feb in hopes of AP 2.0 and the 2017 designation. About when does a VIN get assigned? 1 month prior to delivery, 2 months, a few weeks?

Also, I assume that my DS is a different individual than my OA? I ask because I have yet to communicate with a DS and I want to know if I have to wait let's say until September to push out my order should I decided to do so. IS the general rule that you can push out up to 6 months prior to entering into production?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

About when does a VIN get assigned?

I think it is assigned sometime after your order confirms and sometime before it goes into production. Essentially at any time Tesla wants to, which can be earlier if they aren't busy. They could even build your car months before your delivery date and just have it sitting around waiting for you to pick it up. (I swear I have read that people had their cars ready way before the scheduled date.)

I think the only way to be absolutely sure you get a 2017 VIN is to not let your order confirm until 2017. (So you could place it on 12/25 if my math is correct.)

I think autopilot could be considered a major enhancement. Some cars in 2014 have it some don't. Just my thoughts.

Ok, so I paid my $2500 deposit on 6/25 for a mid December delivery and I too am now thinking about delaying until end of Feb in hopes of AP 2.0 and the 2017 designation. About when does a VIN get assigned? 1 month prior to delivery, 2 months, a few weeks?

Also, I assume that my DS is a different individual than my OA? I ask because I have yet to communicate with a DS and I want to know if I have to wait let's say until September to push out my order should I decided to do so. IS the general rule that you can push out up to 6 months prior to entering into production?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'm in the same boat. I'm planning to take delivery in Dec and thinking to delay it for a 2017 model year car for resale value.

I think autopilot could be considered a major enhancement. Some cars in 2014 have it some don't. Just my thoughts.
Autopilot is an option that can be added to the valuation just like Smart Air Suspension, Pano roof, etc. Some 2014s, 2015s, and 2016s have Autopilot, some don't and a valuation can include it or not.

A manufacturer adding an option or feature during a model year is not unique, a car having or not having a particular option is not unique but using the same year for an old version and an all-new redesigned version of a model would be unusual/unique and could create complications with things like valuations.

Same with the refreshed Model S! That is a big change in 2016, but you'd never know by model year. You have to look at the options/specs, or go by VIN and know the cutoff point, which I don't think many people know (I don't know what it is).
True, and that's a relatively minor facelift compared to an all-new redesign which would have an even bigger resale/valuation impact. Some believe that as Tesla grows and expands, they will eventually move to a 'model year' system. I guess time will tell.

Autopilot is an option that can be added to the valuation just like Smart Air Suspension, Pano roof, etc. Some 2014s, 2015s, and 2016s have Autopilot, some don't and a valuation can include it or not.

A manufacturer adding an option or feature during a model year is not unique, a car having or not having a particular option is not unique but using the same year for an old version and an all-new redesigned version of a model would be unusual/unique and could create complications with things like valuations.
They'd have to make two levels: one for the safety features provided to any car with autopilot hardware, and an additional one for those who paid for the autopilot package to get the convenience features. Slightly confusing, but probably feasible.

This is the reply that I received from my OA with regards to delaying delivery of my order and the 2017 VIN request. Look at the text that I highlighted in red below. Thoughts from the group here?

"Scott,

I am looping in Shannon from delivery to delay your delivery date as much as possible and request a 2017 VIN (understanding this is soley a request). We cannot do Feb, March delivery as the max we can delay an order is 6 months.

I cannot comment on AP 2.0 but yes we are always improving our technology. With regards to massive depreciation hit I would not be so worried- a Tesla with Autopilot is a hot commodity and you will be driving the car for many years. When you do put it up for sale buyers will understand Tesla has a true model year and a late 2016 is the same as early 2017- buyers will look at what the car is equipped with and how much of the powertrain warranty is left.

With an order on 6/25/2016 we will technically be able to push your delivery out to 12/25/ 2016 and will keep you in the loop with progress of this request."