Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Montreal, QC - Cote Vertu Blvd.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not a great thing they are doing, but they have the right under the old supercharging system. Tesla never stated 'no fleet cars' or anything to that effect. I thought of a taxi right away when I heard my local city was getting a supercharger, but I was worried the letters Tesla sent out would turn into action. I'm not sure legally Tesla can do much, which is probably a big reason why they changed the program.

It's not a great thing they are doing, but they have the right under the old supercharging system. Tesla never stated 'no fleet cars' or anything to that effect. I thought of a taxi right away when I heard my local city was getting a supercharger, but I was worried the letters Tesla sent out would turn into action. I'm not sure legally Tesla can do much, which is probably a big reason why they changed the program.
IMHO having the "right" to do it is a little slippery... Superchargers are for long distance travel, not local travel, and I believe Tesla has the right to enforce this rule where abuse is so obvious.

Reactions: CSFTN and Falkirk
I don't say it's OK. Indeed, Elon told us (after the fact) that the purpose of SCs was to charge along road trips, and charging locally was not fair.

But you said
they have no right to do this.
My point, is that yes, they have the right, they bought the cars with SC access without written limitation, even locally, as anybody else who did. Hence, in my view, there is no ground to the complaint you filled with Tesla. They do have the right.

Plus, it could certainly be argued that even if it's not fair to charge locally for the layman, operating a fleet (taxi, deliveries) is a legitimate reason to use local SCs.

Reactions: Jaff
A
I don't say it's OK. Indeed, Elon told us (after the fact) that the purpose of SCs was to charge along road trips, and charging locally was not fair.

But you said My point, is that yes, they have the right, they bought the cars with SC access without written limitation, even locally, as anybody else who did. Hence, in my view, there is no ground to the complaint you filled with Tesla. They do have the right.

Plus, it could certainly be argued that even if it's not fair to charge locally for the layman, operating a fleet (taxi, deliveries) is a legitimate reason to use local SCs.
Absolutely not! They have no right because they can charge at their offices.
I'm sure there's not much Tesla can do about it now, but morally, it is wrong to use them when they know the SC's are meant for long distance travel.
It's just a lazy way out and I am disgusted with them.
I won't be using Teo ever!

A

I'm sure there's not much Tesla can do about it now, but morally, it is wrong to use them when they know the SC's are meant for long distance travel.
Teo have FIVE location they can charge around town at level 3 speed. They should not use supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Am thinking their chargers are nowhere near the airport, and this SC is pretty close. This is why their drivers charge there. Time is money in that business.
I live in San Francisco, and have seen the Tesloop cars and other black Tesla taxis clog up the supercharger in San Mateo, since it is 10 minutes from SFO. This would suck if I were a long distance traveler.

Is it "right" or "within the spirit" are two very different things, and both points of view can be valid.

Am thinking their chargers are nowhere near the airport, and this SC is pretty close. This is why their drivers charge there. Time is money in that business.
I live in San Francisco, and have seen the Tesloop cars and other black Tesla taxis clog up the supercharger in San Mateo, since it is 10 minutes from SFO. This would suck if I were a long distance traveler.

Is it "right" or "within the spirit" are two very different things, and both points of view can be valid.

They have 5 50KW charger. 2 at their head office, 2 in the old port and one at the Plateau. So yeah none near the airport. And i'm pretty sure all those 5 are used by their Kia Soul EV and Nissan Leaf so they suck the juice from Montreal Superchargers for their Tesla.

Did Tesla Motors give them a $2,500 discount per car with the understanding they wouldn't use the Cote Vertu Supercharger?

If not, I have no problem with them using 6/12 Cote Vertu stalls, since they move their vehicles promptly when done recharging. There are also 2 additional stalls at the MTL Center 5 km away.

Who has been hurt by this? Most slow charging was probably due to frigid batteries, not power splitting.

Teo is saving the atmosphere from tons of CO2, if they need Supercharging on days when it is below 0F to do it, so be it.

Did Tesla Motors give them a $2,500 discount per car with the understanding they wouldn't use the Cote Vertu Supercharger?

If not, I have no problem with them using 6/12 Cote Vertu stalls, since they move their vehicles promptly when done recharging. There are also 2 additional stalls at the MTL Center 5 km away.

Who has been hurt by this? Most slow charging was probably due to frigid batteries, not power splitting.

Teo is saving the atmosphere from tons of CO2, if they need Supercharging on days when it is below 0F to do it, so be it.
Totally disagree with you there!

A

First off, unless you were extremely unlucky to pull it just a minute or two after one of the Teo Taxi's that you were paired with something else was limiting your charging rate to 30kW, such as a cold pack or a broken supercharger. The superchargers can put out 145kW and the first to arrive gets priority, but due to the taper, even if the taxi arrived at 0 it would be using less than 115kW in just a minute or two.

Secondly they paid for the cars, and paid for free unlimited supercharging just like you. There was nothing saying superchargers couldn't be used commercially. This is Tesla's fault for not putting more restrictions on the supercharging from the get go. Something they have since fixed, but we'll have to live with the consequences for now. The good news is that even with the taxis there they still have left plenty of open spots, and even being paired you should get a reasonable rate.

I don't particularly like that a commercial enterprise is using the public superchargers either, but as long as they are leaving open stalls they aren't really hurting anyone, so I wouldn't really mind.

I was happy to be able to use Teo and get a Tesla ride from the airport yesterday. I think @jaguar36 nailed it: I t is another example of small/medium oversights by a small (at the time) company that was not overrun by lawyers.
If they had been, there is no way we would have Autopilot today. Not a chance, too much risk.

So, in short, yes it kinda sucks that a commercial entreprise leverages the lone Supercharger on the island. But it was not forbidden, and there is a potential solution with private superchargers, if they find a site close of the airport to set them up. Am sure that is doable.

But right now, Teo needs to fend off Uber in Montréal. And I cannot stand Uber as a company. Nor are drivers, who over here prefer Lyft hands-down.

If I could just simply make one point. History shows that people do not change their ways when things change. All I have to say is wait until the Model 3 hits the streets. Tesla and all us current owners see the Model 3 as the mass market vehicle. Which means one that can be used like any other vehicle for individuals and families alike. Thus, superchargers will be in demand. So if Teo and other fleets are using the supercharges like their own personal home chargers; then there is going to be major arguments at stations. Teo needs to accept reality. The superchargers were meant and stipulated for long distance travel. Operating their fleet within Montreal is not long distance travel. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand they are taking advantage and failing the honour system miserably. Examples like this and individuals who have entitlement attitudes are what have caused the changes that Tesla has had to bring in.

People have to take responsibility for their actions and stop thinking they have more right than everyone else. We cannot all use superchargers as our own personal home chargers for daily charging. Get a grip.

Reactions: Falkirk
I was there yesterday and one Teo arrived 5 minutes after me, so i'm guessing it's everyday. They have no charger near the airport and the Model S and X from Teo are mostly used there.

On a funny note. When we arrived yesterday my wife said "Oh look there a damn Mazda 3 in the supercharger!" and i replied "nah it look like more like a camry.."

It was a Model X

:p

If I could just simply make one point. History shows that people do not change their ways when things change. All I have to say is wait until the Model 3 hits the streets. Tesla and all us current owners see the Model 3 as the mass market vehicle. Which means one that can be used like any other vehicle for individuals and families alike. Thus, superchargers will be in demand. So if Teo and other fleets are using the supercharges like their own personal home chargers; then there is going to be major arguments at stations. Teo needs to accept reality. The superchargers were meant and stipulated for long distance travel. Operating their fleet within Montreal is not long distance travel. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand they are taking advantage and failing the honour system miserably. Examples like this and individuals who have entitlement attitudes are what have caused the changes that Tesla has had to bring in.

People have to take responsibility for their actions and stop thinking they have more right than everyone else. We cannot all use superchargers as our own personal home chargers for daily charging. Get a grip.
All the more reason not to ever use TEO!

This is why Tesla must charge for Supercharging. Otherwise they will not be optimally utilized. An appropriate fee will dissuade people who do not really need it. People who really need it will pay for it, and should be happy with the improved availability.
Possible, although folks have been saying that 24$ an hour to park at a Supercharger is not high enough for areas like New York city. It is actually cheap parking.
Others also say that people paying to "park" at a Supercharger would feel entitled to do so, as they are paying for the privilege.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I personally do not know how to handle humans.

Reactions: mrElbe