Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New, more advanced version of rear lighted T for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the long-ago developer of the front and rear lighted Ts for the Model S, I was pleased to see versions of the rear T produced for the Model 3. But I was always looking for a way to light the entire T (front and sides) and have the whole T show as chrome when it was unlit. I also wanted to avoid having to remove the OEM chrome T on the car and then place it with double sided tape on the front of the rear lighted T shell.

My original version and all of the current versions of the Ts are side lit – that is the light emanates from the side of the T, not the front, and the OEM chrome piece blocks any light emanating from the front.

Happily, I found a manufacturer who specializes in Chip On Board (COB) LEDs who could also manufacture a shell for the T and electroplate it with a thin chrome film that shows the entire T as chrome when not lit, then lights the entire shape of the T when lit.

For the uninitiated, COB LEDs are a method of manufacturing where integrated circuits are wired and bonded directly to a printed circuit board. By eliminating the packaging of individual semiconductor devices, in this case LEDs, the completed product can be more compact, lighter and brighter, and less costly.

Evannex, thankfully, worked with me and helped fund the development of the COB LED lighted T for the rear of the Model; they will be the sole retailer of the product. The Ts should go on sale on the Evannex site very soon.

I thought it would be helpful if a provided a video of the T in operation. I shot the video with my iPhone, so it’s rather crude, but you’ll get the idea. It’s of the beta production version of the Model 3 rear lighted being bench tested.

Whoa, that's awesome! Would there be one for the S & X?

*EDIT* I just re-read your post, it seems like they are available for the S & X as well, please confirm. Thanks!

For sure. Not sure who will sell them but they're coming: Front and rear for the S, X. 3, Y, Cybertruck, and 2020 Roadster.

Wow, that looks awesome. I would definitely be interested in getting it for my m3. Could it be any color or just red?

For now, just red on the rear (legal requirement when the car is moving), front white. But if there's enough demand we can make an RGB version and also provide a black film, for the chrome blackout fans, that provides the same effects as the chrome: black when off, red or white when lighted.

Reactions: davezforce
How is this wired?

There are two wiring options. One is easy. 12v lead taps the license plate lamp wiring, ground taps any reliable ground source. The T lights a steady brightness whenever the license plate is lighted. The other more difficult taps both the license plate lamp circuit and the brake circuit, so the T lights brighter when the brakes are applied. This requires routing a wire through the rubber tube between the car body and trunk lid.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Matsayz
There are two wiring options. One is easy. 12v lead taps the license plate lamp wiring, ground taps any reliable ground source. The T lights a steady brightness whenever the license plate is lighted. The other more difficult taps both the license plate lamp circuit and the brake circuit, so the T lights brighter when the brakes are applied. This requires routing a wire through the rubber tube between the car body and trunk lid.

I assume a hole will need to be drilled to run the wire?

Whoa, that's awesome! Would there be one for the S & X?

*EDIT* I just re-read your post, it seems like they are available for the S & X as well, please confirm. Thanks!

Don’t know if Evannex will produce them for other Tesla’s, but if they don’t there will be other options. I’m determined to make them available for all Tesla’s.