Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Motor Trend articles on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, the glazing—it’s in three segments—continues forward, arching all the way to the unusually low base of the windshield, a panoramic backdrop for the dashboard.
This confirms what I had suspected from some of the video footage I've seen. The dashboard has a really low horizon, which makes the car feel a bit like you're driving a go-kart -- I LOVE that! When I first saw in-car footage from the reveal event, it instantly reminded me of a '90 Civic or '89-'93 Integra in how it has a really low windshield base. It provides not only that go-kart feeling, but also a really good view of the road.

Unless I'm mistaken in the interior photo it looks like the Model 3 is sporting the regular steering wheel similar to the Model S vs. the weird aircraft looking yoke that was seen in the prototypes at the unveiling.

Unless I'm mistaken in the interior photo it looks like the Model 3 is sporting the regular steering wheel similar to the Model S vs. the weird aircraft looking yoke that was seen in the prototypes at the unveiling.
Here's a screenshot from one of the reveal test rides. The wheel looks the same.
upload_2016-5-10_11-53-46.png

This confirms what I had suspected from some of the video footage I've seen. The dashboard has a really low horizon, which makes the car feel a bit like you're driving a go-kart -- I LOVE that! When I first saw in-car footage from the reveal event, it instantly reminded me of a '90 Civic or '89-'93 Integra in how it has a really low windshield base. It provides not only that go-kart feeling, but also a really good view of the road.

I wonder if the Model 3 design team tried to recapture some of the behind-the-wheel feel of the Tesla Roadster. I always wanted a Roadster, but it was far too expensive and impractical (from a passenger/cargo standpoint) for me. A Model 3 with the low ride of a Roadster, expansive view of the road, and all the latest in practicality/safety/autopilot tech is exactly what I'm looking for.

Absolutely! This might just be my favorite part of the Model 3. I was flooded with good memories of my Integra and its low hood and belt line when I first saw the 3. I mentioned to a few of my motorhead friends how much the 3 reminded me of a 90's Honda, they couldn't understand what I meant. For those of us who were fond of those 88-2000 Honda cars, I was thankful that the Tesla team bucked the trend and went to a low belt line design. Its design in many ways feels like a natural evolution of the Integra if Honda had remained the innovative Honda of those days.

In the motor trend video they said the charging port will probably be at the same location as the Model S.... but why is it not there? How are they currently charging the car they are currently running? Anyone have ideas?

It's inside the trunk there are some pictures floating around with them at the charging station with the trunk open and the charging cable going into the trunk

Reactions: JeffK
It's inside the trunk there are some pictures floating around with them at the charging station with the trunk open and the charging cable going into the trunk
Which is exactly how the Model S mules charged as well (using Roadster ports). The Model 3 is likely using Model S components and the cables and such are likely the wrong length and such to install into the bumper.

But yes the charge port will undoubtedly be in the same place as S and X since that's how the superchargers are set up.

Not necessarily new info, but MT did make their best educated guesses at dimensions.

I'm skeptical of their guesses at range though. an 80 kWh battery on that chassis SHOULD approach, if not barely break, the 300 mile mark.

Not sure it would be possible with this weight... T3's estimation about the weight lined up with what I was expecting... I the range will be somewhat similar to the model S....

Not sure it would be possible with this weight... T3's estimation about the weight lined up with what I was expecting... I the range will be somewhat similar to the model S....

The unknown factor here, at least to us so far, is the new batteries. If they can pack the same amount of energy into a more lightweight package, then all bets are off, and 300 miles/charge is attainable.

We'll probably know a little more in Q4 when the Gigafactory begins manufacturing its 1st cells.

I noticed MotorTrend estimates the length to be 184.1"- that was some new information I didn't know before and not surprised about. I was figuring about 182" last month.
i
I noticed MotorTrend estimates the length to be 184.1"- that was some new information I didn't know before and not surprised about. I was figuring about 182" last month.
i just saw a MS in NIce France . did not remember it being such a large car.
perhaps it just looks big compared to other Euro cars. To have the M3 be smaller seems natural in comparison.