Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Our newest suspension line introduced in April 2020!

You asked, we listened. It is clear that many of our fine TMC members prioritize quality and comfort over all else, so after testing the waters with a hybrid version of the Sports kit, we have committed to a fully retuned version that will now be known as the Comfort Adjustable kit.

AWD: MPP Model 3 Comfort Adjustable Coilovers AWD/Performance | Mountain Pass Performance

RWD: MPP Model 3 Comfort Adjustable Coilovers RWD | Mountain Pass Performance

MPP-AWD-Coilovers-Featured-Image.jpg

Custom designed for the best ride possible.

For our customers who demand exceptional ride quality and comfort without compromise, we have worked with KW to redesign our Sports kits with new damper valving and spring rates to bring this to reality. Taking full advantage of the twin-valve technology offered by KW, we have improved the characteristics of our Comfort line, introduced damping adjustability and also gained the corrosion resistance of INOX stainless steel. If you want the absolute best road suspension for the Model 3, look no further.

• Damper valving and spring rates designed for road and touring. With the compression and rebound adjustment at only intermediate settings, the ride is more comfortable than OEM suspension.
  • Specially designed to provide the highest quality driving experience, no drawbacks such as noise, vibration or harshness.
  • Two-stage patented TVR-A (Twin Valve Rebound – Adjustable) technology with significant and noticeable changes with every click. Unlike some adjustable coilovers that claim to have many clicks or a wide adjustment range, these coilovers have true motorsport damper technology and the adjustment in the low-speed range is over 300%
  • Two-stage patented TVC-A (Twin Valve Compression – Adjustable) technology with significant and noticeable changes with every click. Full soft to full stiff compression is over 350% difference in forces at some damper speeds.
  • Height adjustable from 10mm below factory ride height down to 60mm below factory.
  • INOX stainless steel bodies for optimal corrosion resistance and durability
  • Progressive bump rubbers tuned to engage only in the most aggressive compressions while keeping the chassis composed.
  • Utilize the OEM upper hats for minimum NVH transmitted into the cabin. No spherical bearings or floating top hats to clunk and transmit road noise!
  • Bolt-in installation. A competent shop can have these coilovers installed in 3.5 hours.

Very nice! Thank you for continuing to support and add great products to this platform. I think a lot of people will appreciate this setup.

I've been very happy with the basic Comfort's but this will be awesome for fine-tuning the setup and they should be a great option for people in areas that get snow.

Reactions: MountainPass
Very nice! Thank you for continuing to support and add great products to this platform. I think a lot of people will appreciate this setup.

I've been very happy with the basic Comfort's but this will be awesome for fine-tuning the setup and they should be a great option for people in areas that get snow.
Thank you for your support, you've been a pleasure to deal with and I am glad you are enjoying your Comforts :D

Could be what I was looking for. Priorities are 1) slightly lower height than sports suspension 2) daily street comfort 3) better than stock handling 4) corrosion resistance. Although I don’t really auto-x or hpde anymore. A random event isn’t out of the question. Live in the northeast and take my 3 on multiple ski trips.

Couple questions. Are these spring rates different then the non adjustable comforts? What would be the difference between these at intermediate settings and non adjust comforts? What would the difference be between the sports at a softer setting and these at the intermediate?

Any idea on what a set of OEM upper hats cost? Any chance you will offer them with the OEM upper hats?

I believe this has been asked before in one of the other MPP threads. Tesla does not sell the top hats separately. You have to buy the whole shock/spring assembly. You can try and buy an old setup on eBay...but still pretty $. The better question is whether they will come out with an aftermarket solution like Redwoods floating top hats.

@MountainPass what size spring and shaft does this setup use? Looking to see if it’s possible to run Redwoods top hats with these.

Last edited:
Could be what I was looking for. Priorities are 1) slightly lower height than sports suspension 2) daily street comfort 3) better than stock handling 4) corrosion resistance. Although I don’t really auto-x or hpde anymore. A random event isn’t out of the question. Live in the northeast and take my 3 on multiple ski trips.

Couple questions. Are these spring rates different then the non adjustable comforts? What would be the difference between these at intermediate settings and non adjust comforts? What would the difference be between the sports at a softer setting and these at the intermediate?

This kit will certainly cover your suspension criteria 1 through 4! The spring rates are the same as our Comfort Non-Adjustable kit, the performance increase and price difference both lie in the dampers themselves. The Sports kit has firmer springs, so the two kits will not be comparable even if you have the dampers set to equivalent settings. For someone who is looking to hit the track every now and then, I would point them to the Sports kit, as these springs won't be firm enough for that type of driving.

Any idea on what a set of OEM upper hats cost? Any chance you will offer them with the OEM upper hats?

To be honest I have no idea. We won't be offering them as we would have to make huge bulk orders through the Tesla parts department then resell them to our customers, it doesn't make sense.

I believe this has been asked before in one of the other MPP threads. Tesla does not sell the top hats separately. You have to buy the whole shock/spring assembly. You can try and buy an old setup on eBay...but still pretty $. The better question is whether they will come out with an aftermarket solution like Redwoods floating top hats.

@MountainPass what size spring and shaft does this setup use? Looking to see if it’s possible to run Redwoods top hats with these.

What he said!

You could do that, just don't blame us for the NVH! It looks like their standard hat will work, same spring and shaft size.

You could do that, just don't blame us for the NVH! It looks like their standard hat will work, same spring and shaft size.

Yeah I wouldn't really recommend those top hats if you are looking for a comfortable and quiet suspension. They are going to add NVH to the spot where you are most likely to hear it (right on the top). Swapping the stock hats over is very easy to do.

Yeah I wouldn't really recommend those top hats if you are looking for a comfortable and quiet suspension. They are going to add NVH to the spot where you are most likely to hear it (right on the top). Swapping the stock hats over is very easy to do.

The hardest part is compressing your stock springs to remove the hats. If you are DIY'ing this, please be safe!

The hardest part is compressing your stock springs to remove the hats. If you are DIY'ing this, please be safe!

Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone (and I am sure others) offer spring compressors that you can borrow and return within 14 days for free, definitely do not attempt to do the swap without a spring compressor or you are going to have a bad time.

Reactions: EVNation
This kit will certainly cover your suspension criteria 1 through 4! The spring rates are the same as our Comfort Non-Adjustable kit, the performance increase and price difference both lie in the dampers themselves. The Sports kit has firmer springs, so the two kits will not be comparable even if you have the dampers set to equivalent settings. For someone who is looking to hit the track every now and then, I would point them to the Sports kit, as these springs won't be firm enough for that type of driving.

By “random”, I mean over the lifetime I own the car. Unless I get bitten by the bug again lol. Would you still suggest the sports? If the adjustable comforts handle better than stock and you turn them up for track days...it won’t be better than a stock setup on the track or in the canyons at least? I get they’re not track focused. But I would think the adjustable comforts would make them at least a little more track capable than the non adjustable comforts and definitely more than the stocks?
Sorry for all the questions...trying to decide if I should go sports, sport with comfort springs, or the new adjustable comforts.

By “random”, I mean over the lifetime I own the car. Unless I get bitten by the bug again lol. Would you still suggest the sports? If the adjustable comforts handle better than stock and you turn them up for track days...it won’t be better than a stock setup on the track or in the canyons at least? I get they’re not track focused. But I would think the adjustable comforts would make them at least a little more track capable than the non adjustable comforts and definitely more than the stocks?
Sorry for all the questions...trying to decide if I should go sports, sport with comfort springs, or the new adjustable comforts.

I think the hot setup for you might be the Comfort Adjustable kit combined with aftermarket sway bars. Our bars will be delayed until at least summer now with all that's going on, but this will reduce the body roll vs. the Sports kit and still give you a great ride.

• Informative
Reactions: bcpm3p

I am going to repost a post of mine from a previous thread.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to describe this. Bilstein's are (again, my opinion) a low-quality, high-volume, OE-style shock. What I mean by that is you drive with your Bilstein Sport's and the lowering springs and they feel harsh. And you think, well these feel so stiff, they must handle well. When, in reality, they handle like absolute turd. I've run several BMW's with Bilstein's. I used to think the same thing. Then I bought quality dampers on those same cars (Moton, AST, MCS, KW, etc) and WOW, was I wrong. A suspension shouldn't feel like it's hard and working to break your back and knock your teeth out. Hard does not equal good. In fact, because they are so stiff they actually suck at absorbing road imperfections (which is basically the whole point of them) and make the car extremely unpredictable at the limit (due to oscillations and bump steer) and crap to drive at all other times. A real quality damper can provide both a comfortable ride and incredible handling characteristics. That is why, even though I have ridiculously stiff springs on my MCS Coilovers (we're talking 3-4x stiffer than stock), they actually ride as comfortable as the stock dampers and springs. There is added NVH due to all the spherical bushings/bearings, but that is to be expected on a setup designed for the track.

So the question is, where does MPP/KW land in all of this? I'm not going to say the Comfort's were designed for the track, because they weren't. However, they prove to be nicely composed, balanced, and predictable on the track. I've pushed the Comfort's pretty hard and was pleasantly surprised. Sure, they aren't the fastest setup in the world, but they are a big upgrade and are a notable step up over stock when pushing them; otherwise they ride as nice or better than stock. All the above is the reason I strongly recommend against just throwing springs over dampers. The stock dampers are OK at best (which is true of basically any car from the factory), and not at all designed for a lowering spring. Even then, most damper and spring options out there weren't really designed to be run together which is why a true full coilover with a damper valved specifically for the springs it is going to use is the best setup every time.

My understanding (perhaps @MountainPass can chime in here) is that the comfort's run a lower spring rate with fixed rebound and compression settings that would fall somewhere in the middle of the adjustment offered by the Sport's version. In theory the Sport's could be adjusted to be a little softer than the Comfort setup or noticeably stiffer.

TLDR; A truly good suspension setup is both comfortable and provides excellent handling characteristics (they are not mutually exclusive).

Hopefully that helps; suspension is an extremely complex system even though it looks simple on the surface!

My guess is the Comfort Adjustable kit will be your best option as it should ride better on the street and on the track than the stock setup.