TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New MS 3 weeks ago - 1st service center appt for paint and other issues

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by idealsol, Jan 5, 2017.

1. idealsol

idealsol Member

We got our new MS90 AP2 on 12-13. At delivery we found 2 minor paint defects , one on the front drivers panel ( small scratch right into the surface ), and another small scratch on a back panel, noticeable white speck showing thru black paint
    At the time they offered to paint both panels, but would need appx 6 weeks. We declined due to the wait but asked them to document our concerns
    After driving we found an additional problem, both front doors don't close fully without a lot of force. They sent the "ranger" out, super cool guy, but not able to fix in the field
    So thus our appointment in Costa Mesa today
    I was impressed
    - they looked at paint again, again offered to repaint both panels in 2 weeks. I agreed to that. Only issue was Xpel was already on front panel. So far, they are saying they won't cover reapplying the xpel to the panel. I asked my installer, he offered a super fair price, so unless tesla helps, I'll have to eat that.
    - after they get car back from paint shop, they'll address the door concerns and a couple very minor issues
    - free loaner but alas, not a tesla. They gave us a Mercedes. After driving that, I'm really liking the model S even more
    In fairness, an entry level Mercedes

One last non service item, just an observation. I got the AP2 update on dec 31. I have never used TACC before so while nothing new to many, I was blown away. Only thing I've driven is adaptive cruise control. My 1st TACC experience was a 10 mile drive, half freeway, half surface streets. I literally drove the 10 mile stretch without braking. Never got to a red light without being behind a car, so I drove without any pedals for the entire duration. Very nice

• Like x 1
  2. jwtseng

jwtseng Member

It's a great car, the Model S. you won't be disappointed once you finally have it back. My question to you and others who might have had this experience is this: At delivery, is it reasonable to accept a new $100k car and part with the $$$ or start payment on it when the car is not delivered as promised (new, free of damage)? Is it common for new cars to be damaged prior to delivery and for Tesla to be delivering the damaged cars as new or before catching and fixing the imperfections?

3. idealsol

idealsol Member

This was a tough call for me
    - I never actually found out, but I have to assume if I declined delivery until they fixed the paint, I would likely not be purchasing the car in 2016?? If true, then the $7500 tax credit would not be available until my 2017 tax year
    - The defects were small but defects none the less. The scratch on the front drivers panel was all the way to bare metal, a straight horizontal scratch, appx 1/4", way near the bottom. If not for having my Xpel installer with me checking for paint defects, I would likely have missed it
    - While most of the delivery team was great, the guy that estimated 4-6 weeks for paint seemed to be giving me the "bums rush"
    - As the 1st 3 weeks wore on, and as I discovered the door issue, I was starting to realize I should probably try to address the paint, as I was beginning to think it might bother me down the line
    - so to Tesla's credit they are fixing the defects at least, but I'm hoping it doesn't go much past the 2 week estimate as I am making a monthly payment

I think it I had it ti do over again, I might decline delivery if the paint needed to be fixed. In fact, I would surely decline delivery unless I was faced with a tax creit issue