TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New MS initial impressions and questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by blackbird2150, Dec 28, 2016.

1. blackbird2150

blackbird2150 Member

Hey TMC,

Just took delivery of my beautiful 75 Midnight Silver Model S about two weeks ago. I love the car and have been very impressed. It's extremely quick, and quiet and the ride is well balanced. I opted for an inventory with gen 1 autopilot and love it. It's been great so far and it's amazing how quickly one gets used to these little convenience features! I was able to join the Arizona (APS) EV charging time based plan. So I pay $0.21 from noon-7pm, $0.06 5am-noon and 7pm-11pm, and $0.04 11pm-5am per Kilowatt (excluding the 800 or so fee's/taxes!!). So not bad with the rates, and my work provides 2 hours of free 40amp charging a day, so I get about 35 miles (about 80% of my commute)!

Unfortunately, the day after I got it, I need to call and have 4 items serviced: Alignment, the Next Gen seat creaking/squeak, seat rocking, and there is a gap in the trunk space. The first two items, to me are just annoying but were easily fixed. The seat rocking, where my seat would rock slightly when braking (regen too), required them to order a new seat which will come in January. The last item, is a little more peculiar... In the trunk, right behind the seats, there is a gap in the lining and the "frame" of the car. The tech at the delivery center in Arizona said he had never seen it before. He took all the lining out and relaid it twice, and it didn't fix the issue. He then said he looked at many of the other MS awaiting delivery and they all have the problem to some varying degree, these are all with the refresh. The passenger side had about a 1.5" gap and the driver side had about .5". Anyone else seen this issue?

I did have a question about charging... I had a 14-50 outlet installed. Looks great, flush with the garage wall and ran about 65' starting outside. The first few days I saw on the tesla: 29 MPH charging, 40/40a and about 244v. Yesterday I noticed though about 22MPH, 30/40a and 244v. Is that a problem with the install or perhaps I was charging at a peak time? I don't know enough about how electricity to tell if I have a problem or not. Thanks!

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Often it takes a few minutes for the full charge rate to line out. Perhaps the first times you were outside the car checking for sparks and flames for a few minutes, then checked the rate? The lower rate to start may be more prevalent in higher or lower ambient temperatures or depending on how recently you drove the car. It may need to adjust the battery temperature. You will see similar behavior at a Supercharger, but the ramp-up seems a little faster.

• Helpful x 1
  3. TodMichael65

TodMichael65 Member

See if you can dial it back up to 40. It happened to me in my Model S where after some higher power draws from the two AC unites running in the heat of summer and the car trying to draw 40 that the car thought that was happening all the time and it dropped the Amps to like 32 and it didn't come back up automatically. But I dialed it back up to 40 on my screen and it stuck again.