Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS Lease Insurance Sticker Shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current 2016 MS lease is about to end and I'm starting a new MS 2020 lease next week. Called my insurance (Allstate) to get coverage for the new VIN and they are raising my premium from $2576/yr to $3900/yr! I believe my agent said it was because of the collision portion. Wasn't expecting this. Is this because they are realizing Tesla's are more expensive to fix?

Anyone else run into price hikes? Is there a cheaper alternative? Thanks in advance

Reactions: Aleks0404
I'm no expert, but I'd suspect the market value (i.e. if totaled) for a 2016 MS is a lot lower than a new 2020 Model S, hence the higher premiums.

Someone else just posted they got a replacement Model S and their insurance when down $66/6 months. So go figure.

Try shopping around to different insurance companies.

Reactions: baw
Shop multiple companies. The differences can be amazing. I have an M3 LR AWD and my policy is about $120/month total through State Farm. Your car will be more expensive, but the rate you were quoted still seems excessive. Of course, it also depends on where you live, If you live in NYC your rate may be in line.

Consider that the new car is probably worth twice what the current car is worth, so the collision portion of the policy, which is based on YOUR vehicle, is probably twice as expensive.

Quote:
I believe my agent said it was because of the collision portion. Wasn't expecting this. Is this because they are realizing Tesla's are more expensive to fix?

Yes, it it is the collision portion. When my rear passenger door/hinge was damaged, a certified Tesla shop quoted $17,000 for repair. My insurance adjustor couldn't reduce the cost so they had to pay the full amount less my $500 deductible. Teslas cost far too much for body work due to aluminum construction.

Just added a 2020 MS LR+ (only added wheels... $82k car...purchased, not a lease) to my insurance (Allstate). Already had 3 cars and a house on the policy. I'm 50, no accidents, no tickets, living outside of Seattle, $500 deductibles... policy increased $3100/yr (collision is 2/3 of that cost).

Need to spend some time shopping for a new insurer!

Just added a 2020 MS LR+ (only added wheels... $82k car...purchased, not a lease) to my insurance (Allstate). Already had 3 cars and a house on the policy. I'm 50, no accidents, no tickets, living outside of Seattle, $500 deductibles... policy increased $3100/yr (collision is 2/3 of that cost).

Need to spend some time shopping for a new insurer!

So I have been shopping around. Try Geico.

Quote:
I believe my agent said it was because of the collision portion. Wasn't expecting this. Is this because they are realizing Tesla's are more expensive to fix?

Yes, it it is the collision portion. When my rear passenger door/hinge was damaged, a certified Tesla shop quoted $17,000 for repair. My insurance adjustor couldn't reduce the cost so they had to pay the full amount less my $500 deductible. Teslas cost far too much for body work due to aluminum construction.
That’s a small part, most of the cost is in the price gouging portion of the bill.

Reactions: bhzmark
I have a 2016 Toyota Tacoma, 2019 Tesla Model 3 and a 2020 Tesla Model S.....My total for 2 car and a truck annual premium went up from $1150 to $2375........an increase of ~ $1225 for the Tesla MS....not bad.......I have USAA and also have my house with them along with my supplemental Part G insurance....oh, been member for over 45 years ever since I was a 2ndLt in the Marine Corps.....

My current 2016 MS lease is about to end and I'm starting a new MS 2020 lease next week. Called my insurance (Allstate) to get coverage for the new VIN and they are raising my premium from $2576/yr to $3900/yr! I believe my agent said it was because of the collision portion. Wasn't expecting this. Is this because they are realizing Tesla's are more expensive to fix?

Anyone else run into price hikes? Is there a cheaper alternative? Thanks in advance

Have you tried TESLA's auto insurance?? My rates went down pretty significantly when I switched from GEICO to TESLA insurance.

Wow! I am realizing that I have some REALLY cheap insurance here in Nebraska! My wife and I have four cars on our auto policy with American Family. A 2020 Model S, a 2020 Model 3, a 2006 Lexus SC430, and a 2018 Ram 1500. For full coverage on all 4 cars, we pay $2200 per YEAR. I'm 56 with no tickets or accidents and have my homeowner's insurance with the same company, but still.