Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MS P90D Owner with an Important Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a very clean 2016 MS P90D with 18,000 miles on it. Power and torque is incredible-much better than my Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat. Here is my question:

I currently live in an apartment, but there is a Volta Charger next door at the movie theater. There is also a Tesla Supercharger less than five miles from my apartment complex. I have been to the Tesla Supercharger twice this week and have been able to charge the P90D from 50 miles and 150 miles SOC. I have not had to pay for use of the supercharger since the P90D is a MY2016.

The big question is if I send in the required documents to Tesla and have the ownership of the P90D in my name, will I lose the unlimited Tesla supercharging? Tried to find a clear answer, but so of the responses have been muddy.

Attachments

• 253E5719-FB31-4CA1-AF1F-F8A24EFBE9D2.jpeg
    253E5719-FB31-4CA1-AF1F-F8A24EFBE9D2.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 107
  • DC56BDEF-E97E-4A12-8308-34466C4A7EE1.jpeg
    DC56BDEF-E97E-4A12-8308-34466C4A7EE1.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 57
  • E98ECA17-533A-4EB7-8B49-8603E65CECAB.jpeg
    E98ECA17-533A-4EB7-8B49-8603E65CECAB.jpeg
    23.8 KB · Views: 58
What I recall is the free supercharging followed the car . ..when I returned my old leased P85D in the subsequent buyer kept the free supercharging..not sure if u got car via Tesla or other third party ..but I believe u will be fine

All 2016 Teslas originally came with free transferrable unlimited supercharging.

If you purchased the car directly from a private party owner, and the car has never been sold through a dealer or been back in Tesla’s possession, you will retain that benefit.

If not, you’ll lose it eventually.

In 2016 Tesla advertised it was the last year of free supercharging. We purchased a 2016 90D for that and several other reasons--better range, quicker charging and greater reliability. Of course Tesla continued to offer free supercharging after that year, but only for the first owner. I think you will be fine with your 2016.

Awesome thank you for the information. I bought my Tesla for a third-party (traditional dealership). When I tried to do a master reset I have to enter the email and password associated to the previous owner...which I do nothing have. Is there a way around resetting the vehicle without entering the previous owner’s email and password?

Wait a sec, if the dealer was not Tesla, I believe he should keep the FUSC.
I have a 2015 and I believe 2016 is the same. It is FUSC and stays with the car. Now Tesla can remove it if they happen to buy it and resell it. But as long as Tesla has not owned it, the OP here should be safe.
Now it is possible that Tesla took it on trade, removed FUSC, and then sold it to a third party but I don't think they routinely do that. If they did, they would probably have fixed the email thing... HAHAHA - like Tesla is that smart.

BTW - you should not supercharge exclusively. It is not good for the battery. Your supercharging may get throttled eventually.

Thanks for all think input. Lots of questions I can answer:

The Model S has never been returned to Tesla. I purchased the P90D at a legacy dealership here in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex. The P90D was taken in trade from a couple for a Range Rover. The reason why the MS has low miles is b/c the couple had company cars and only used the Tesla for leisurely driving. The factory tires have been replaced by Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4.

As stated, there is a Tesla Supercharger five miles from my apartment, but y’all don’t recommend using the SC frequently? Is it safe to use the free Volta Charger by my complex?

As stated, there is a Tesla Supercharger five miles from my apartment, but y’all don’t recommend using the SC frequently? Is it safe to use the free Volta Charger by my complex?
It actually hasn't been proven that frequent Supercharging degrades the battery, some cars with very high miles and low degradation have used Superchargers almost exclusively. Also there are two basic classifications of Superchargers Urban and Trip. Urban Superchargers (72 kW) are specifically for those who don't have at-home charging. The Supercharger reduces the rate of charge as the battery gets full regardless of type of Supercharger. What degrades the battery is leaving it at less than 20% or more than 90%. (Just going to less than 20 or more than 90 doesn't harm if you don't leave it there.)

Volta charging is L2 (6kW rate) so looking at about 19 miles per hour and with a 2 hour limit (not sure if this is per day or per session) that’s really only about 40 miles. Unless watching a movie might be a pain to spend that much time there for the little gain. Great if shopping at a mall or watching a movie but otherwise not worth spending the time in the car for that slow of a charge.