TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New MS60 supercharging at max 70kw. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GoGoGadget, Jan 5, 2017.

1. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget Member

I've supercharged twice now at Atlantic Station in Atlanta. First time was max 50kw and now on the second try it maxed out at 75kw.

Note: I pulled in with about 50 miles range and the temps were about 55 degrees outside. One other Tesla charging but not on the stall next to me.

Should I be getting more juice? 100+kw?

I talked with another Tesla owner at the station and he was pulling 75kw on his 85D also.

Your feedback is appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. oktane

oktane Active Member

Yes. Several supercharges don't provide full output.

3. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Basis for that claim? Most superchargers should provide 100+ kw rates at least initially provided low state of charge and an unpaired stall has been selected.

4. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget Member

This news could be very disappointing, especially on a long trip with many supercharger stops. I was hoping for a faster charge rate.

5. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

I have yet to see more than 60kW. I keep hearing excuses how the battery is not drained enough when I charge, The Battery is not warm enough, Its too cold etc. I drove over 30 minutes and battery was at 22% and I could not get more than 60kW this evening and I sat there and waited over an hour to get close to an 80% charge. This is not what I was expecting at all.

6. EvanLin

EvanLin Member

It's not always at max rate. Depends on your SoC.

7. gghahram

gghahram Member

I have been getting 94kw or 323 miles/hour until about 70-80% then begins to taper down. 2016 60D refresh AP2.

8. oktane

oktane Active Member

Yes, this is the embarrassing dirty secret the Tesla salesman doesn't tell you - or at least they didn't tell me.

For example, Burbank, CA only gives 35 kW charge rate at maximum. Additionally, if someone is using the charging stall adjacent to you, you will not get the full rate.

NOLA_Mike has posted some nice threads.

Here's another one:
    Supercharging pain in rear

9. JRMW

JRMW Member

I've never seen more than 75kw but I've only used one Supercharger three times.

60 D bought Dec 2016.

10. sorka

sorka Active Member

Is this a 60 or a software limited 75? If an actual 60 kwh, then 75KW may be the max that battery can take. The smaller the capacity, the lower the maximum charge rate.

11. GoGoGadget

GoGoGadget Member

It's a new 60, so software limited 75.

It sounds like many Tesla owners are experiencing slow charge rates, not just me. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of the issue.

12. seevT

seevT Member

i have a two week old model S. have seen it charging @~60Kw ~75% and 30KW at 100%

Attached Files: