Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new MX / MS have wireless cellphone charging. how can I put this in mine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This should only impact the rotating cover that has the phone dock on the bottom. The Tesla wireless charger evidently uses USB for power, so may not be that difficult.

It depends upon how the rotating cover is mounted. If it is bolted in on either side, then disassembling the console may be required for the installation.

But if it is pressure mounted with pegs fitting into holes on either side of the console, then installation could be pretty easy by prying out the old cover and installing the new one.

If Tesla makes this available on the Tesla Store, we'll order one for our 2017 S and 2018 X. The phone mount has been one area of disappointment because Tesla's standard dock hasn't supported any of the phones we've owned (in a variety of cases) and 3rd party products to fix the mounting problem haven't worked very well.

This should only impact the rotating cover that has the phone dock on the bottom. The Tesla wireless charger evidently uses USB for power, so may not be that difficult.

It depends upon how the rotating cover is mounted. If it is bolted in on either side, then disassembling the console may be required for the installation.

But if it is pressure mounted with pegs fitting into holes on either side of the console, then installation could be pretty easy by prying out the old cover and installing the new one.

If Tesla makes this available on the Tesla Store, we'll order one for our 2017 S and 2018 X. The phone mount has been one area of disappointment because Tesla's standard dock hasn't supported any of the phones we've owned (in a variety of cases) and 3rd party products to fix the mounting problem haven't worked very well.
How would the retention work any better with the wireless charger? Wouldn’t it also require side clips to keep your phone from coming off while driving?

With the USB docks, the retention has to be pretty snug and have the phone exactly positioned so the phone will slide onto the protruding USB connector at the bottom of the dock. In order to slide onto the USB plug, there is no margin for error - the slides on the side must center the phone so the USB port is directly over the plug and the slides must be at the exact thickness of the phone and case to position the phone (front-to-back) to be directly over the USB port.

With a wireless charger, there's more margin for error. The phone doesn't have to be positioned (left-right) at a specific position, there is a range of left-right positions where the phone will charge.

What is important is ensuring the phone will lay on the charger - which is primarily done by gravity, except when the vehicle is rapidly accelerating, when the phone may temporarily lift off the charger and then get back to the charger once rapid acceleration is over. And that can be controlled by providing some minimal padding on the inside of the retention clip to help keep the phone from moving around under acceleration.

Hope Tesla will provide this as an option for existing S/X vehicles (or someone else brings it to market).

902FB2EB-5E46-4C05-8878-D8D42658328C.png

Attachments

• AE63559A-3DDD-4391-B53A-6EFC558E5900.png
    AE63559A-3DDD-4391-B53A-6EFC558E5900.png
    635.9 KB · Views: 99
While wireless chargers are great, it charges longer than a wired charger and somehow heats up the battery more. Plus you cant touch your phone while your charging too. Theyre better on night stands

I use wireless charging almost all of the time with my Galaxy S10+, except in the car, when I use the USB-C charging dock.

The rate of charging speed is dependent upon the capabilities of the charger and phone.

USB chargers typically charge at 10W - with the newest chargers for the Galaxy S20 Ultra capable of 45W.

Wireless chargers are slower - running from 9-15W.

I'd be willing to live with slower charging if that eliminated the hassle of trying to line up the USB plug everytime I docked the phone.