Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

New MX with black screens

ecMX

Oct 27, 2019
NJ
I purchase new MX about a month ago. It was a demo with about 1400 miles on it, and I love it...until this morning. Now both display screens are black, and I can't connect through the app to see what's going on.

I tried multiple flavor of reboots using the scroll wheels, buttons above the scroll wheels, and the brake. None of that has helped.

I've been reading up on the MCU issues and the symptoms seems consistent, but it seems too soon for something like that.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there another way to reset the MCU to help it "wakes up"?

ecMX

Oct 27, 2019
NJ
I was once advised by Tesla service to disconnect the 12v battery to force a reboot. Didn't end up doing it as we finally got the car connected via laptop hotspot using hotel wifi (son's idea). Was 3 levels underground in hotel carpark so no cell phone coverage.

Any idea how to disconnect the 12v battery? I started disconnecting the + nut under the fuse box cover in the frunk. I saw a few sparks and decided against continuing.

The plus pole is the last to go off and the first to go back on. Taking the clamps off, You start with the minus pole, never the plus. That’s why you got sparks. If the plus pole is removed you quickly discharge the battery through the still connected minus pole. Don’t know how long your battery was without it’s plus connection. Try it again, starting with minus then plus. Wait a couple min and put it back in reverse order, starting with plus then minus. Good Luck
Also check the manual on where the 12V battery is and how to disconnect it.

The plus pole is the last to go off and the first to go back on. Taking the clamps off, You start with the minus pole, never the plus. That’s why you got sparks. If the plus pole is removed you quickly discharge the battery through the still connected minus pole. Don’t know how long your battery was without it’s plus connection. Try it again, starting with minus then plus. Wait a couple min and put it back in reverse order, starting with plus then minus. Good Luck
Also check the manual on where the 12V battery is and how to disconnect it.

Thanks. Are you talking about the terminals on the actual 12v battery (which requires frunk tub removal), or the auxiliary posts that are under the fuse box cover (+) and mounted to the frame (-), which only require removal of one easy panel. I've only tried the auxiliary posts, but I got sparks whether I was trying to disconnect the (-) first or the (+). :(

I purchase new MX about a month ago. It was a demo with about 1400 miles on it, and I love it...until this morning. Now both display screens are black, and I can't connect through the app to see what's going on.

I tried multiple flavor of reboots using the scroll wheels, buttons above the scroll wheels, and the brake. None of that has helped.

I've been reading up on the MCU issues and the symptoms seems consistent, but it seems too soon for something like that.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there another way to reset the MCU to help it "wakes up"?

End result was I couldn't get it back in (or even in gear as of this morning). Tesla sent a tow truck, which had to drag it out of my garage and onto the flatbed. We'll see what happens from here.

I guess my one lesson was to quickly get it to leave it somewhere easily towable if/while you still have the ability to drive it, even without screens.

Keep us posted on what they determine to be the root cause.

Will do. Still waiting to hear anything from service (since Monday) other than that they are "attempting to bring back the vehicle screens and determine a root cause"...no kidding. I receive several alerts that software updates have been both successful, and failed via the app. That's about all I know so far.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying Ludicrous mode on the P100D they gave me as a loaner. :)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC