Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MX with black screens

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchase new MX about a month ago. It was a demo with about 1400 miles on it, and I love it...until this morning. Now both display screens are black, and I can't connect through the app to see what's going on.

I tried multiple flavor of reboots using the scroll wheels, buttons above the scroll wheels, and the brake. None of that has helped.

I've been reading up on the MCU issues and the symptoms seems consistent, but it seems too soon for something like that.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there another way to reset the MCU to help it "wakes up"?

Worth a call to your friendly neighborhood service center. Perhaps they can effect a fix via OTA magic.

Thanks, tried calling service but the car has no connectivity so they can't diagnose. I was hoping there was a quick fix to reset the computer (other than the scroll wheel reboot that didn't work) to save a trip to service center.

Have you tried to charge? Can you drive?

I can drive - just without any of the screens (which is do-able, but a little disconcerting). I tried charging and it turns solid green, so I guess my battery is full - I just can't verify this either on the screen or through the app (since the car has also lost connectivity).

I was once advised by Tesla service to disconnect the 12v battery to force a reboot. Didn't end up doing it as we finally got the car connected via laptop hotspot using hotel wifi (son's idea). Was 3 levels underground in hotel carpark so no cell phone coverage.

Any idea how to disconnect the 12v battery? I started disconnecting the + nut under the fuse box cover in the frunk. I saw a few sparks and decided against continuing.

The plus pole is the last to go off and the first to go back on. Taking the clamps off, You start with the minus pole, never the plus. That’s why you got sparks. If the plus pole is removed you quickly discharge the battery through the still connected minus pole. Don’t know how long your battery was without it’s plus connection. Try it again, starting with minus then plus. Wait a couple min and put it back in reverse order, starting with plus then minus. Good Luck
Also check the manual on where the 12V battery is and how to disconnect it.

The plus pole is the last to go off and the first to go back on. Taking the clamps off, You start with the minus pole, never the plus. That’s why you got sparks. If the plus pole is removed you quickly discharge the battery through the still connected minus pole. Don’t know how long your battery was without it’s plus connection. Try it again, starting with minus then plus. Wait a couple min and put it back in reverse order, starting with plus then minus. Good Luck
Also check the manual on where the 12V battery is and how to disconnect it.

Thanks. Are you talking about the terminals on the actual 12v battery (which requires frunk tub removal), or the auxiliary posts that are under the fuse box cover (+) and mounted to the frame (-), which only require removal of one easy panel. I've only tried the auxiliary posts, but I got sparks whether I was trying to disconnect the (-) first or the (+). :(

I’m talking about the terminals on the actual battery but then again, I never had to do it on my MX. Don’t know how hard it is to get that tub out.
Btw, there might always be a little sparks during the process of removal/install. Once you loosened it, take it off in a quick motion.

• Helpful
Reactions: ecMX
I purchase new MX about a month ago. It was a demo with about 1400 miles on it, and I love it...until this morning. Now both display screens are black, and I can't connect through the app to see what's going on.

I tried multiple flavor of reboots using the scroll wheels, buttons above the scroll wheels, and the brake. None of that has helped.

I've been reading up on the MCU issues and the symptoms seems consistent, but it seems too soon for something like that.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there another way to reset the MCU to help it "wakes up"?

End result was I couldn't get it back in (or even in gear as of this morning). Tesla sent a tow truck, which had to drag it out of my garage and onto the flatbed. We'll see what happens from here.

I guess my one lesson was to quickly get it to leave it somewhere easily towable if/while you still have the ability to drive it, even without screens.

Keep us posted on what they determine to be the root cause.

Will do. Still waiting to hear anything from service (since Monday) other than that they are "attempting to bring back the vehicle screens and determine a root cause"...no kidding. I receive several alerts that software updates have been both successful, and failed via the app. That's about all I know so far.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying Ludicrous mode on the P100D they gave me as a loaner. :)