Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MX!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will be my third Tesla. My first was a 2016 Model S - I made the leap as soon as they updated the nose. It was my dream car at the time, and so-so seats aside, it has been amazing, never had a single issue with it. The second was a 2017 Model X for my wife which she liked, and I loved.

After paying down the S, I wanted to upgrade to an X for myself. I particularly loved my wife’s seats, and since they’ve been changed less-to-my-liking in the newest version of X, I targeted the narrow window of post-Raven, and pre-seat-change in 2019. I found a fall 2019 used X on the Tesla site with all the right specs, and ordered it.

PURCHASE PROCESS

This time around the buying process was pretty different. So much was integrated into the app, which was really frictionless. Completing the down payment was particularly simple, connecting the app to Chase for an ACH transfer.

Less clear was who I was dealing with… I’d sometimes get texts and sometimes emails, and it seemed like they weren’t coordinated. One channel would ask a question I answered already through email. Not terrible, just confusing. I think their incentive is to keep things moving forward at all costs, which is obviously beneficial to them, but maybe the experience cost they incur is less clear. Both sales people were very responsive and flexible making adjustments along the way.

DELIVERY

Delivery was very different from when we got my wife’s X. With my wife’s car, we picked up at Fremont, and they had all the delivery cars lined up in a hanger, with spotlights on each car. It was like nothing else I’d experienced and I still remember how thrilling and special that experience made the whole thing. I don’t know if it’s because we picked up in a different location or just that as Tesla has scaled that type of experience has gone to the wayside, but it was much more pedestrian… basically they said “the car’s over there in the lot, you can check it out, and come back when you’re ready”. More efficient, less ceremonious - probably the right trade-off at their scale, but meh. I did have some follow-up questions and the staff was super nice and helpful, answering questions.

USED CONDITION

The most surprising part of it was how apparent it became that Tesla is really just trying to be minimally involved in the handoff from seller to buyer. The sales person said, “oh, cool, this one came with two fobs - you know, if the seller turned in only one fob, you only get one”. That, along with a family of other details made it clear that they don’t really want to be in the certified pre-owned business. Some low-hanging polish steps like basic rim rash touch ups, scraping off glue that was on the glove box, removing prominent tape glue from outer trim, replacing tire air caps that were missing, making sure any used purchase comes with two fobs… all seemed like things other manufacturers would do when certifying their cars. Tesla may benefit from getting out of the used business altogether if they don’t want to be great at it.

PROBLEMS

Unfortunately, driving home from the dealership I started noticing a low level noise, which worried me. As I drove further the noise became louder and louder until I couldn’t clearly hear what the nav voice was saying at 7. As a truck passed me on the left, the screeching sound became louder because the sound bounced back to me, and the subsequent driver was staring at me like “what the hell is wrong with that car”. I rolled down the window and the screaming sound was super loud. I pulled off right away and called roadside assistance, who then towed the car to my local center.

Turns out, the sound was produced by a stone that got lodged in the brake system. My wife had noticed several small gravel-stones in the treads at the dealer when we were inspecting it, and apparently, that was the culprit - who knew such a little thing could cause so much noise. The service team was super professional, prioritized the repair, and turned it around that next day, which was impressive. The car returned to me was quiet as a mouse, and I was thrilled.

MORE PROBLEMS

Day two of driving, I’m driving home on autopilot, when suddenly it flashes the red alert to take over, and then displays a slew of warnings: emergency braking disabled, anti-lock braking disabled, stability control disabled, regenerative braking disabled, vehicle hold feature unavailable, traction control disabled, and several more. I pulled over and called roadside.

So, two drives, two tows… not what you want in the first three days of ownership. I still love Teslas, how they drive, and what they’re trying to do, but short of actually catching fire, I think this is the new car-buying nightmare we all fear. Best case scenario, they replace whatever brake parts and/or motor parts necessary and it’s good as new. Worst case, it ends up tangled up in the lemon law. Here’s hoping it’s the first one.