Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MY Efficiency Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon all, first off an apology if this has been covered but after searching and reading I thought i'd start a thread.

So we are 13 days into owning our first EV (MY) and so far loving every minute.

The car was delivered with 6 miles on the clock and we have now covered around 450 miles.

- This morning the car had 198 miles of charge (after warming up) and after my wife did the 19 mile school run and then onto work the car now has 164 miles so a loss of 34 miles after covering 19 miles. Obviously it was a chilly morning etc but I was wondering if this is about right and what is to be expected?

The "range" shown on the top of the main screen is a calculation based on the percentage remaining of the battery and the Tesla-quoted EPA range of the car. It has very little bearing on the real world range. To prevent confusion, change that to display the percentage (by pressing on it), then use the efficiency applet to show a slightly more accurate estimation based on recent driving and outside temperatures. Set it to average (not instant) and 30 miles.

Afternoon all, first off an apology if this has been covered but after searching and reading I thought i'd start a thread.

So we are 13 days into owning our first EV (MY) and so far loving every minute.

The car was delivered with 6 miles on the clock and we have now covered around 450 miles.

- This morning the car had 198 miles of charge (after warming up) and after my wife did the 19 mile school run and then onto work the car now has 164 miles so a loss of 34 miles after covering 19 miles. Obviously it was a chilly morning etc but I was wondering if this is about right and what is to be expected?
Temperature is one of the things that really hurts EV Range and combined with shortish journeys will really, really impact. Pre-heating the car while plugged in is a good idea, there are differing views about doing so when not plugged in, personally I only warm the Cabin for 10 Mins if not plugged in. As others have said change Miles to Percentage on the screen and don't fret you're seeing pretty much a worst case scenario right now for 9 months of the year it won't be an issue.

Reactions: Bennett_8
TRIPS will show the "current" trip - provided car hasn't gone anywhere since.

That will have Wh/Mile ...

You could put that "trip" into ABetterRoutePlanner and see what how much juice it thinks would normally be used (choose car model and change temperature / weight-of-passengers/wind as appropriate).

Difference of the two might give you some idea of warm-up / cold-weather start off penalty. ABetterRoutePlanner would give you an idea of how different the trip would be at 0C, 10C and 20C. Although I expect it is more normally used for planning longer routes, to plan for where to charge and so on.

Worth considering pre-conditioning the car (i.e. turn Climate on) whilst still connected to the mains. Probably makes no odds if you are going 20 miles, but for a long trip doing that off the mains, before you start, gives you both a warm cabin to set off in and that start-off energy penalty not coming out of the battery, and reducing range (i.e. on a long trip)

If you change the display to percentage then as a rough guide around 3 miles per percent. For a better estimate put the destination into SatNav and check the ENERGY screen (select the TRIP tab) - that will look something like this (and update as you drive, so you can slow down if you aren't going to make it!)

I think a couple of labels used are inaccurate:
"Projected consumption" is the original estimate
"Actual consumption" is "Current estimate, based on usage so far" - foul weather, aggressive driving, taken into account.

img_0171.jpg

The 19 miles included driving onto work plus we have primary and secondary school aged children
19 miles in Cambridge is literally equivalent to 34 miles off the car - given the traffic congestion and the amount of heating you were using to keep the car warm especially today in Cambridge!

I am just making an assumption here - if you have 198 miles of charge in an Y - that's roughly equivalent to around 75- 85% and the car at the end had around 164 roughly equal to 60-70%. That's sort of normal in this weather especially today. But as others pointed out use the energy app and also battery percent /wmh if you want to look at efficiency.

Hope you are the White Model Y I keep sighting near Trumpington - looks really nice.

Sounds perfectly reasonable, 19miles of driving and how many degrees of cabin temperature increase? Unlike a petrol car there's no excess heat created to heat the cabin, so it all costs power.

Unless you have it plugged in and pre-heat, this will take mains power mainly (still a little from the battery).

19 miles in Cambridge is literally equivalent to 34 miles off the car - given the traffic congestion and the amount of heating you were using to keep the car warm especially today in Cambridge!

I am just making an assumption here - if you have 198 miles of charge in an Y - that's roughly equivalent to around 75- 85% and the car at the end had around 164 roughly equal to 60-70%. That's sort of normal in this weather especially today. But as others pointed out use the energy app and also battery percent /wmh if you want to look at efficiency.

Hope you are the White Model Y I keep sighting near Trumpington - looks really nice.
Mines a Black Y

Attachments

• 20220301_162212.jpg
    20220301_162212.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220306_135508.jpg
    20220306_135508.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: spdpsba and GT_M3
I'm sure there's a song or saying about the first cut being the deepest, it's very similar with the first mile in an EV especially when it's cold.

The energy consumption chart is useful as it shows whats going on although it does seem to miss energy use from things like preconditioning or before you've started driving. The first few miles when cold you'll see quite heavy use and then as the cabin and battery warm up the consumption settles down. If its doesn't after 10-15 mins then thats when to start asking questions.