Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MY Owner - first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tc0222

Jan 24, 2021
Wow. Just picked up my MY Ling Range, 20” wheels. Left the dealer in Mt Kisco, drive up the Taconic to Yorktown, back through hilly twisties. MY handles phenomenal. Even in stock configuration, the motors deliver really well. Regen braking coming down switchbacks is better than a downshift.

Question- sitting overnight in the cold the battery lost 10mi of range. I take it this is to be expected. Looking to see what others experience.

Cheers!

Tony C

Reactions: Watts_Up
Welcome and congratulations on your new MY! It’s understandable to put your vehicle in the “miles range” display mode at first. After a short while, most owners switch over to “percent battery” display, which provides an energy available estimate similar to ICE cars. You will then find yourself not worrying about a few miles lost here and there.

Battery drain and phantom drain are discussed at length on numerous threads here. Sentry mode will keep the vehicle awake and thus cause battery drain. Check to see if Sentry mode is enabled for your home and work locations, and decide if you want or need Sentry mode in those places. (You can always override these settings temporarily by tapping the sentry icon on the top right of your home screen... or switch it on and off from the Tesla app.)

* Note: Frequently accessing your Tesla app will keep your car awake and cause phantom battery drain.

Personally, I use TeslaFi which is a subscription service to record and document almost all data from my Tesla. I love it. It shows all energy used, all charges, stats for drives, cost for charging at different locations, etc. so you have a complete log book on your vehicle history.

You can designate destinations as ”Tagged Locations” which makes for an easy travel log / total miles driven for business tax purposes, etc.

More importantly, TeslaFi shows when you car is sleeping. For some strange reason after a software update, my car was experiencing high phantom drain. Going to TeslaFi, I found that my car was not sleeping and made a few adjustments in the sleep settings.

TeslaFi is free for a trial period.

Should you opt to try TeslaFi, my referral code is “TeslaFiCodeRS” It is not a big deal, nor the purpose of my post, but it is appreciated should you find this helpful.

Enjoy your new MY!

Last edited:
Maybe I am the exception to the norm but since day 1 I had battery set to miles. First on the M3 then on the MY. I can't tell how much range I have with %, but with miles I can tell if we will make it there and back when heading out for a day trip...

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
More importantly, TeslaFi shows when you car is sleeping.
For some strange reason after a software update, my car was experiencing high phantom drain.
Going to TeslaFi, I found that my car was not sleeping and made a few adjustments in the sleep settings.
I don't use TeslaFi for that reason as every time TeslaFi tries to check the status of your car, the car wakes up and stays up for about 10 minutes.

One device I would recommend to install is a 12 V battery monitor that you can access remotely using Bluetooth using your phone.

In particular you can determine if the car is sleeping (the battery would stays around 12.5 V)
or when the internal DC/DC converter is charging the 12 V battery (the battery would stays around 14.5 V).

When not driving, the 12 V battery get recharge about every other day for about 2 hours, but this might also depend of the ambient temperature.

This is a good way to determine if you may have too much battery drain, when the car is suppose to be asleep,
or eventually know if your 12 V battery get old and cannot keep the charge and needs to be constantly recharged.

Reactions: mark95476
Wow. Just picked up my MY Ling Range, 20” wheels. Left the dealer in Mt Kisco, drive up the Taconic to Yorktown, back through hilly twisties. MY handles phenomenal. Even in stock configuration, the motors deliver really well. Regen braking coming down switchbacks is better than a downshift.

Question- sitting overnight in the cold the battery lost 10mi of range. I take it this is to be expected. Looking to see what others experience.

Cheers!

Tony C

Hey fellow New Yorker! Congrats on the new MY! I ordered mine on 1/30 and will be picking up in Mt. Kisco as well. Curious how the delivery went as I've heard mixed reviews about this SC. I went there for a test drive and it was packed. Did you wait a while, how was the delivery inspection etc... Thanks in advance, I have pre delivery anxiety while I wait!

I don't use TeslaFi for that reason as every time TeslaFi tries to check the status of your car, the car wakes up and stays up for about 10 minutes.

If you have TeslaFi setup correctly it will not wake up or prevent the car from sleeping.

TeslaFi doesn't wake my car up. My car has been sleeping the past 20 hours, even with TeslaFi.

Agreed, I use TeslaFi, just to tell me and make sure it is sleeping without having to touch the Tesla App which can easily wake up the car without meaning too.