Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MY owner Planning for a trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty simple really. For a "short" trip (under 500 miles or so) just use the in-car Tesla nav system. More distance/multi-day trip use both PlugShare and A Better Route Planner. Download both and play with them.

Self serving suggestion: My book, Electric Vehicles, What About Them? !? goes into detail on how both of those apps function.

As a new owner of MY, planning for a trip.
Please suggest any app(s) where I can setup the trip details and also have an idea of super chargers on the way.(free app's please)
About the trip, the Navigation tool inside the car will be certainly the most practical way to navigate from supercharger to supercharger.
By clicking on the icon of the supercharger you can determine it's speed (250 kW, 150 kW, or 72 kW), the number of stalls available, and the various amenities near by.

The most critical in general will be to be able to charge at your destination if there is no supercharger close to your stay.
You will have then to use some public L2 (7 kW), similar to your home and the speed will be like 10% an hour or 20 miles an hour,
so typically you will have to leave your car for may be 3 hours, something you will have to plan in advance unless you can charge at night.
App like PlugShare, Charge Point, Volta... would be very practical to find L2 chargers, but you cannot alway rely on the App to determine of there will be an available spot.

To plan your trip and optimise the superchargers usage, the App "ABRP" and Wep page "A Better Route Planner" will be more practical to use,
because the Tesla Navigation currently can only be used inside your car and can only give a itinerary from the current locatoion of the car.
Some people prefer charging as fast as possible (like 10 % to 60%) and rush to the next charger to charger for 10 to 20 minutes.
Some other people prefer stay longer at a super charger (30 minutes to 1 hour) to have time to eat and to charge to 80% or 90% to limite the numer of stops.