Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MY: Scraping Noises in Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cigar Man

Intriguing Human
Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2020
McAllen, Texas
I had a good hand wash done on my new MY yesterday, then immediately had to drive through a muddy area and got sprayed mud on the side of the car.

Rather than go back for another hand wash (expensive) when all it needed was a quick wash of the lower outside, I thought I would use the automated car wash across the street. I used to use that regularly for my Prius, When I entered the track, I heard a loud metallic scraping sound from the left front. They stopped the car wash, and I backed out. Yes - they nicely refunded my money.

I looked underneath and could not see any damage, but then again, I don't know what I'm looking for either. Anybody have any idea what might have caused the problem?

BTW - for those of you who wonder why I just didn't go out to the drive way and wash off the mud myself, I live in deep south Texas and the temperature is 87 degrees as I write this. I am an old man (77) and I sweat easily. So - what I'm saying is that I am just too lazy to wash it myself - though that is what I eventually did.

I had a good hand wash done on my new MY yesterday, then immediately had to drive through a muddy area and got sprayed mud on the side of the car.

Rather than go back for another hand wash (expensive) when all it needed was a quick wash of the lower outside, I thought I would use the automated car wash across the street. I used to use that regularly for my Prius, When I entered the track, I heard a loud metallic scraping sound from the left front. They stopped the car wash, and I backed out. Yes - they nicely refunded my money.

I looked underneath and could not see any damage, but then again, I don't know what I'm looking for either. Anybody have any idea what might have caused the problem?

BTW - for those of you who wonder why I just didn't go out to the drive way and wash off the mud myself, I live in deep south Texas and the temperature is 87 degrees as I write this. I am an old man (77) and I sweat easily. So - what I'm saying is that I am just too lazy to wash it myself - though that is what I eventually did.

Good for you brother. 74 here, and I pay people now to do stuff I don't care to do myself. My reward for getting here. :)

Reactions: Cigar Man
Yeah, I haven't hand-washed a car in at least 4 years (almost retired). But with everything I've heard about the paint, I was planning to switch to this waterless wash system. We'll see it it works.
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00X04JRMU

OP: Have you examined the height of the track mechanism at the car wash in question? Also, is it possible the inside of your wheel was rubbing on the track?

With regard to waterless washing, IMHO, ANY system that says "waterless" is asking for trouble. Limiting liquid from the washing process increases the density of the "sludge" created when the cleaning solution/cloth capture the dirt/grit off of the painted surface. I see it as wiping the paint with a gritty damp cloth with enough grit to damage any paint surface, especially one that is notoriously weak in the first place (Tesla).

There's a reason OCD detailers use gentle high pressure wash first to remove any loose dirt/grit, and THEN use a 2-bucket system. Lots of water, wipe in one direction with soft cloth/lambskin (back and forth scrubs dislodged dirt over the paint), rinse cloth/lambskin in the RINSE bucket. Repeat.

For sure, OCD, but I've done this for decades w/o any significant paint wear...after 10-12 years.

OP: Have you examined the height of the track mechanism at the car wash in question? Also, is it possible the inside of your wheel was rubbing on the track?.

No, I didn't check the height of the track. Since I had used the place for my Prius for a couple of years, and since the MY is considerably higher than the Prius, I didn't worry about it.

The manager at the car wash also thought the inside of the wheel was rubbing on the track. I'll take a closer look at that. Thanx for the suggestion.

I haven’t used an automatic car wash with a track with my Tesla yet, but you don’t really have “neutral”, you probably either need to put it in tow mode or if there ever was a “car wash” mode added out it in that. It could be the regen was strong enough to cause something on the car wash system to slip... possibly to keep from damage to their equipment from happening if someone chucked it into park or jumped on the brake by mistake...

You can use an automated car wash with the Tesla vehicles if you wish. Before entering the car wash be sure access the screen setting to fold in the sideview mirrors, be sure to turn off the automated windshield wipers. Not sure about ride height if you have a Model S or X with air suspension. If the car wash requires you to exit the vehicle then you would need to place the Tesla in tow mode before exiting the vehicle. Otherwise, as long as you remain in the vehicle with your seat belt fastened you just need to shift the Tesla into Neutral. Be aware that if you move around too much while sitting in the driver's seat, i.e. raise your butt off the seat while going through the car wash the Tesla will shift to Park, so don't do that.

Depending on the car wash, the tire and wheel combination on the Tesla, it is possible that the inside or outside rim of the wheel could come into contact with one or both of the guide rails of the automated car wash. I would suggest measuring the height and width of the guide rails before attempting to take the Tesla through any automated car wash.

Last edited:
Depending on the car wash, the tire and wheel combination on the Tesla, it is possible that the inside or outside rim of the wheel could come into contact with one or both of the guide rails of the automated car wash. I would suggest measuring the height and width of the guide rails before attempting to take the Tesla through any automated car wash.

I looked again, and I think it really is the inside of the rims.

I don't intend to use an automatic car wash, unless there is a peculiar circumstance like this was. There is a high likelihood this will be the last car I will buy - - and I want to pamper it.