Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP full power loss while driving and locks steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

So this happened to my wife this weekend with her brand new 22 MYP (6 weeks old and 2000 miles).

While driving on main road at 45MPH (thank god she was not on the highway), the car completely lost power and started to beep with error codes and the crazy part it locked the steering. The regen started to slow the car aggressively, luckily the traffic was light and the emergency light was operable, she was barely able to nudge the car to right to get off the road before it completely stopped (pressing the accelerator was doing nothing).

The brakes work but the Hold or Park did not work (PRND disappeared from the screen), and she had to call for help so some folks stopped by and put a rock to stop the car from rolling.

Then when she called me panicking, I walked her through the reboot process (both with brakes and no brakes), the reboot did not fix the issue as the error codes were still visible and PRND was still not showing but, the steering got unlocked and the Park seemed to engage as the car stopped rolling. By the time I got there she had the car locked/closed for about 20 min and when I checked, same errors were still on the screen (one of the messages she saw while driving was "Exit the vehicle may restore power")

We ended up towing the car to Tesla and we are waiting for them to give us update. The tow mode worked.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I understand power unit could have failed but LOCKING the steering wheel!! from 45 to 0 MPH she was barely able to exit one lane. I do not want to think if this happened on a busy highway!!

Error codes are attached bellow

Attachments

• IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 373
Is it possible that you have just lost power steering? That would make the steering feel pretty heavy in comparison. In a panic situation it might feel like locking. If she was able to "nudge" the car to another lane then it wasn't locked it seems, just heavy. I'd be very surprised that the steering would lock, I'm not even sure it ever locks.

Yeah, it might not be locked 100% but for sure 99% . you should be able to steer more than what she was able when the adrenaline kicks in.

She was able to moved it only few degrees to the right, also when she stopped the couple of guys who stopped to help could not even move it to put the car in a better spot.

i driven before old cars with no power sterring, at speed even with no power assisted system, steering is fine when the car is moving, it feels locked when stopped but when you start rolling it gets alot easier. Thats the first thing they teach you to not fight the steering until you start rolling ( it will be doable but will require huge effort)

My 2020 model x just had a similar incident. I was on a mountain road and rounding a corner about 30 MPH when the steering locked up. I tried to turn it hard and slammed on the brakes as i was going to be over a cliff. Thankfully there was a pull out in front of me where my car was headed and i got it to stop but not turn. The dash read (or something similar, i was panicked)'may have to use excess force to turn the wheel'.
I drove the car 'very' slowly home with no more incidences.

Ouch glad you are safe.

In my wife case, the rear power unit failure caused this. It is super dangerous but Tesla said when the car lost power the PS stopped working. I have all communication documented with them just in case.

No doubt this occurrence sucks, but on the topic of steering it sounds like the car simply lost power steering. Your reference to older ICE vehicles losing power steering may be on cars that used the older hydraulic power steering. Newer cars - ICE or BEV - use electronic power steering and are generally speaking more difficult to turn the steering wheel when the power goes out; this will be especially true for a significantly heavier BEV.

Hello All,

So this happened to my wife this weekend with her brand new 22 MYP (6 weeks old and 2000 miles).

While driving on main road at 45MPH (thank god she was not on the highway), the car completely lost power and started to beep with error codes and the crazy part it locked the steering. The regen started to slow the car aggressively, luckily the traffic was light and the emergency light was operable, she was barely able to nudge the car to right to get off the road before it completely stopped (pressing the accelerator was doing nothing).

The brakes work but the Hold or Park did not work (PRND disappeared from the screen), and she had to call for help so some folks stopped by and put a rock to stop the car from rolling.

Then when she called me panicking, I walked her through the reboot process (both with brakes and no brakes), the reboot did not fix the issue as the error codes were still visible and PRND was still not showing but, the steering got unlocked and the Park seemed to engage as the car stopped rolling. By the time I got there she had the car locked/closed for about 20 min and when I checked, same errors were still on the screen (one of the messages she saw while driving was "Exit the vehicle may restore power")

We ended up towing the car to Tesla and we are waiting for them to give us update. The tow mode worked.

Has anyone experienced something like this? I understand power unit could have failed but LOCKING the steering wheel!! from 45 to 0 MPH she was barely able to exit one lane. I do not want to think if this happened on a busy highway!!

Error codes are attached bellow
That is beyond concerning man - did they give you a root cause?

Ouch glad you are safe.

In my wife case, the rear power unit failure caused this. It is super dangerous but Tesla said when the car lost power the PS stopped working. I have all communication documented with them just in case.
Did Tesla explain why loss of power steering caused inability of your wife and two other men to be able to steer?

Yes, Tesla said the loos of powertrain caused something in the steering to stiffen up to the point where it was hard to move. I expressed my concerns and they said nothing. I have it documented in our chat in the app about this.

There are several reports of rear drive unit failing and in all cases, the car becomes inoperable within seconds. The car has two motors, Tesla should allow the car to at least drive to a safe place on the remaining motor.
agreed espically the other drive unit is fine and the steering fixed it self after a reboot and Tesla could not find any errors with it.

i driven before old cars with no power sterring, at speed even with no power assisted system, steering is fine when the car is moving, it feels locked when stopped but when you start rolling it gets alot easier. Thats the first thing they teach you to not fight the steering until you start rolling ( it will be doable but will require huge effort)
Old cars without assisted powwr steering, designed for manual steering are not the same as cars with non-operable assisted steering. The later is very difficult to steer and this will be more so with such a heavy car. To the point where it will feel locked, especially with such a small wheel.

Old cars without assisted powwr steering, designed for manual steering are not the same as cars with non-operable assisted steering. The later is very difficult to steer and this will be more so with such a heavy car. To the point where it will feel locked, especially with such a small wheel.
That's true, but the OP's topic is still not a Tesla or EV thing. It's an "any car with electric/hydraulic power steering" thing (i.e., all modern cars).

That's true, but the OP's topic is still not a Tesla or EV thing. It's an "any car with electric/hydraulic power steering" thing (i.e., all modern cars).

Nonsense. There is clearly something wrong with Model Y's rear power drive and Tesla has to be aware of this problem. I just had the same thing happen. Exactly the same error codes. Mine was build June, 2023. This issue was reported by OP back in October, 2022.

Here's mine. This happened yesterday while I was, ironically, on the way to service center to address an unrelated issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 55
Nonsense. There is clearly something wrong with Model Y's rear power drive and Tesla has to be aware of this problem. I just had the same thing happen. Exactly the same error codes. Mine was build June, 2023. This issue was reported by OP back in October, 2022.

Here's mine. This happened yesterday while I was, ironically, on the way to service center to address an unrelated issue.
We get it, you're upset as anyone would be at you issue, or issues. But the fact is you're in the minority, clearly.

I think you're in the wrong thread by accident. This one is about power steering (OP incorrectly claimed/guessed that Tesla was actively locking the power steering).

If the "power" goes out in any car (ICE, BEV, etc) the power steering is going to drop in the same manner.

I think you're in the wrong thread by accident. This one is about power steering (OP incorrectly claimed/guessed that Tesla was actively locking the power steering).

If the "power" goes out in any car (ICE, BEV, etc) the power steering is going to drop in the same manner.

His experience with the loss of power and the error codes he has are related to the known issue of rear drive train failure I believe Tesla is trying to hide. The steering wheel locking is something I haven't experience, but it seems to be in addition to the failure described above.

You are correct. Any vehicle that loses power, whether with a hydraulic or electric power steering system, will be more difficult to turn and it will be harder to turn the slower the vehicle is moving. There is something else happening here. It looks like there are reports of people having the steering lock in place, where they are unable to move it. At all. Not just hard to move as when the power goes out. Just unable to steer, period. That's my impression here at least. Maybe I'm missing something.

His experience with the loss of power and the error codes he has are related to the known issue of rear drive train failure I believe Tesla is trying to hide. The steering wheel locking is something I haven't experience, but it seems to be in addition to the failure described above.

You are correct. Any vehicle that loses power, whether with a hydraulic or electric power steering system, will be more difficult to turn and it will be harder to turn the slower the vehicle is moving. There is something else happening here. It looks like there are reports of people having the steering lock in place, where they are unable to move it. At all. Not just hard to move as when the power goes out. Just unable to steer, period. That's my impression here at least. Maybe I'm missing something.
You're just re-hashing what was already discussed. The steering is simply difficult to move and this is even more true for a modern electric power steering system on a heavy car. My comment was not "nonsense."