Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP: heatpump resonance when climate over 19 degress celsius

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my new MYP some weeks back. When I turn on the heat in the cabin (does not matter if AC is on/off) there will be a quite some noise from the heatpump. It sounds like som resonance (or humming) inside the car. Specially when the car is at a still it is annoying and sounds like a fossil car. It seems it is worst above 20 degrees, and when I set the temp for 19,5 degress and under (or stop the climate) the heatpump is not working that much and then the resonance/humming is not so high.
Outside temp is between 0-10 degress celsius and the issues is also there after the car has been driven for e.g. one hour.

Is this just how it is, or do your cars not make this above 19,5/20 degrees?

Reactions: Pianewman
The vibration can be pretty harsh at times. My car is like this too. As long as you're using Auto climate, it will eventually spin back down to maintain the set-temp. When it warms up outside, 20C won't be as hard to reach and the heatpump shouldn't have to work as hard.

The setpoint isn't something you can compare between vehicles, since the outdoor temp is the other factor that comes into play. The colder the air outside, the harder the heatpump has to work to bring your cabin up to temp.

If you precondition your car with the app, the times of highest noise/vibration will occur before you even get to the car, as the heatpump should spin back down to normal by the time your car is warmed up and you get in.

Above 20C? Are you sure it isn't the A/C compressor? My 12/2020 build MYLR HVAC (now at 43k miles) is annoyingly loud during warm/hot weather, not so much in cooler weather.
I'm pretty sure it's my A/C compressor. I notice it on road trips, stopping for a power nap at a SuperCharger, and the compressor cycling low-frequency drone is loud enough to keep waking me up! Yes, it's as loud as an ICE engine idling.
...just a thought...

The 2022 or 2023 model discussed here has a heat pump, so it's the same compressor whether it heats or cools. Your 2020 (like mine) has resistive heating with a compressor only for cooling (AC).
Nope, my 2021 MYLR has the heat pump. Tech says it's the compressor that's making the noise. In my auto experiences of 50 years, sadly, some compressors make noise, some don't.

Above 20C? Are you sure it isn't the A/C compressor?
Interesting, I never thought to check if it's the AC as I am in auto mode.

I'm not the OP but I do notice the noise when I raise the temp to 20C. I figured it was the heat pump winding up. Is it strange that the AC would turn on when I'm trying to warm the car up to 20C when it is 0C outside?

But I agree with the OP, I find the noise annoying so I lower the temp to 18C and just bundle up lol

Yes; the compressor in the Tesla Model Y can be loud as it can spin at up to 9000 RPM as required. You can't fully control what the Tesla Model Y's thermal management system is doing by adjusting the cabin temperature and HVAC blower fan speed.

The Tesla Model Y's thermal management system is state of the art. There are twelve (12) heating modes and three (3) cooling modes. This three-part video can help in understanding what goes on behind the green curtain.