Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP no where near the advertised range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Vancouver, Canada and Just received the delivery of MYP last week and changed twice via Suoercharger as my regular home charger is very slow. I am waiting for my electrician to install wall charger. I think my battery is draining extremely fast. How should I keep track of my battery usage to make sure there are no issues with the battery. How much battery consumption is normal for a 20-30kms trip? How much overnight drain is normal. My battery is draining 3-4% overnight. Appreciate any help as I am still exploring this car. Current mileage on car is 565km and it has already been charged 2 times from 25-90 at super charge plus two time overnight charged with my regular wall plug. I received the car with about 75% charge. I think something is wrong as it should give around 480kms with single charge.

I am virtually 100% positive there is nothing wrong with your car. There is no such thing as "how much consumption is normal for a 20-30km trip" because there are too many variables.

If you are having that much drain, turn off sentry mode.

You dont need to "keep track of your battery usage to ensure there are no issues with the battery". Tesla will not even talk to you about battery degradation unless or until your car hits 70% degradation (as calculated from the energy screen), as that is the warranty.

You can search this subforum for your topic, and you will find several (probably close to 50 or more actually) threads, or, if you want to look at one very (very very very very very) long thread on this exact topic, you can look at the 226+ page thread in the model 3 subforum on battery, range, health etc, as its the same topic.

TL ; DR = There is nothing wrong with your car, how much battery is used per trip depends on multiple factors but shorter trips use more battery as a percentage, turn off sentry mode at home (and stop "checking on the car" repeatedly, as every time you do it wakes it up), and the battery warranty is "70% capacity within 8 years or 120k miles". Anything other than that is not worth engaging tesla over, it will be a waste of your time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the "quoted" range from Tesla is based on EPA testing, and most people will never achieve those numbers because we all tend to drive faster than what the car was tested at (and hence use more watt-hours per mile). Not to mention, the car uses energy all the time for Sentry mode, cabin overheating protection, running the computers, etc. Unfortunately, Tesla and the other EV manufacturers all use the EPA ratings to quote range, but they aren't really of much use...You're going to get less range than you think, especially in winter, going uphill, going faster, etc....

Turn off Sentry Mode for your home location. When Sentry Mode is active it causes the Tesla Model Y to remain powered on. Overnight this uses ~3% of the battery or ~7% every 24 hours. If you turn off Sentry Mode when parked at home the Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode and the power drain will be a fraction of what you are now experiencing, perhaps 1% per week.

Turn off Sentry Mode for your home location. When Sentry Mode is active it causes the Tesla Model Y to remain powered on. Overnight this uses ~3% of the battery or ~7% every 24 hours. If you turn off Sentry Mode when parked at home the Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode and the power drain will be a fraction of what you are now experiencing, perhaps 1% per week.
That’s a good tip, I was not sure that I can do that. I will try that options…thanks

My personal rule of thumb is that "real world" range for Tesla is 25% below the EPA range based on typical driving habits (starts/stops, using the HVAC, driving fast on highways, etc).

Add in cold weather, headwinds, or elevation gain, and your range will be even worse.

I don't know anybody who drives under the conditions that are used in the EPA tests, which is why it's very annoying EV manufacturers trumpet that number as the range.

Feel like mods should sticky some post with these facts and a READ FIRST at the top of this forum because this is a such a pervasive question. It's obviously a function of Tesla's misleading advertising.

Unfortunately, the "quoted" range from Tesla is based on EPA testing, and most people will never achieve those numbers because we all tend to drive faster than what the car was tested at (and hence use more watt-hours per mile). Not to mention, the car uses energy all the time for Sentry mode, cabin overheating protection, running the computers, etc. Unfortunately, Tesla and the other EV manufacturers all use the EPA ratings to quote range, but they aren't really of much use...You're going to get less range than you think, especially in winter, going uphill, going faster, etc....

rolling around town, in mild southern california weather, I easily match the EPA range.

On the highway, rocking to San Diego at 80 mph? Not so much.

Reactions: preilly44