Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP owner - My take on ride quality.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The small bumps are not a big deal when on normal streets..I don't really think that's the complaint (although maybe for some it is).
The issue I seem to find is on freeways or anywhere at a fairly high speed going over small bumps in a freeway (see Los Angeles) and it just gets really really bumpy in the back...harsh in the front...really unusual in the back.
This is somewhat why I wrote my post. Many of the criticisms don’t limit or specify that scenario as the issue but rather make it seem like it’s all conditions and tend to scare window shoppers.

In My daily driving I don’t encounter that type of condition. Mostly city driving with short stretches (10 miles or so) on freeways that are mostly smooth. We have plenty of potholes but I just avoid them. :) if I were driving on washboard like conditions I’d consider upgrading the suspension or going with the MS.

And I’ve never ridden in the back so have no comment on that ride.

The small bumps are not a big deal when on normal streets..I don't really think that's the complaint (although maybe for some it is).
The issue I seem to find is on freeways or anywhere at a fairly high speed going over small bumps in a freeway (see Los Angeles) and it just gets really really bumpy in the back...harsh in the front...really unusual in the back.

I just drove down a stretch with some close consecutive depressions like I think your describing. My passenger in the back was bumping side to side. I can see how that would be a big deal if you are driving stretches of road like that every day or nearly every day. If that were the conditions I was driving in everyday on the freeway commute I’d chose a different car. Thankfully it’s not as I love driving this car on normal roads!

This is somewhat why I wrote my post. Many of the criticisms don’t limit or specify that scenario as the issue but rather make it seem like it’s all conditions and tend to scare window shoppers.

In My daily driving I don’t encounter that type of condition. Mostly city driving with short stretches (10 miles or so) on freeways that are mostly smooth. We have plenty of potholes but I just avoid them. :) if I were driving on washboard like conditions I’d consider upgrading the suspension or going with the MS.

And I’ve never ridden in the back so have no comment on that ride.
Well I've expressed this as well...For sure, the suspension could be a lot better...it is actually pretty poorly designed (or seems that way) from what I can tell. On a normal street, the ride is quite smooth, probably feels that way also because of the sound (or lack of it). Bumps at slower speeds aren't that big of a deal..
As far as bumps on the freeway..not talking potholes obviously...The bumps on the freeway the car does very poorly.. At freeway speed, they're magnified. And so a sporty car with good suspension, you feel it..but it is far less harsh. The back is just terrible.
The better sporty cars find a way to let you feel the road but still handle bumps like these....Tesla is still really short in that area.

That said, my main use case is not driving on a freeway like that...so I'm generally pretty happy with it. I think if I did drive on a freeway like that and always had passengers in the back, I'd definitely be looking at replacing the suspension or getting a different car...

Reactions: bobbyjae and Zalick
For reference, with lighter rims 8.5" wide, and MPP comfort coilovers set to default comfort settings....My 18 prius prime still ride better
not sure what you are trying to prove here.
my little moving couch has better ride than rocket CUV that weighs 4500 lbs with some make up term "comfort coilover" suspension. By the way narrower tires had nothing to do with improving ride quality.
FYI, not sure why some companies are pushing their "comfort" coilovers. The coilover suspension system is designed and developed for the race cars on race tracks, not for comfort

Reading threads on the rough riding MYP made me nervous while waiting 3 months for the car. I've owned other cars with a firm ride (87 Toyota MR2, 2014 Lexus IS 350, and 2016 4 Runner) and I'd say the ride in the MYP is much more compliant than any of our recent vehicles. That said it's not like riding on a cloud and our 2016 Mazda 3 is significantly softer. My wife is pretty sensitive to a harsh ride and she love the MYP.

So, you are totally okay with a few people complain about the ride, but not okay with people who say they the totally fine and the way it is supposed to be?
It’s more than a few. It’s the vast majority. And that sentiment has been echoed by every major publication to review the vehicle as well.

That > 1 forum post.

my little moving couch has better ride than rocket CUV that weighs 4500 lbs with some make up term "comfort coilover" suspension. By the way narrower tires had nothing to do with improving ride quality.
FYI, not sure why some companies are pushing their "comfort" coilovers. The coilover suspension system is designed and developed for the race cars on race tracks, not for comfort
They are saying their Prius rides better than the MY even with all available upgrades to address the suspension issues.

How hard was that to understand?

It’s more than a few. And it’s been every major publication to review the vehicle as well.

That > 1 forum post.
Let's say we have about 10-20 or even make it 30 people who are "worst ride quality ever advocates" on this forum. Now, go Google how many MY/MYP cars were delivered so far. that's 30 vs. millions who are satisfied with the car with no issue with ride quality.
If this is legitimate issue experienced by most owners of MY/MYP, we would see millions of more postings, and surely force Tesla to do something dramatic pretty quick, but it is not the case.
Hates will hate no matter what.

I was concerned about the suspension on the MYP we picked up earlier this month. I drive a 2021 Model S, so this MYP was for my wife. I'm pleasantly surprised by the suspension, I was expecting the ride to be a lot rougher. Granted it's not as smooth as the S, but it would be unfair to compare. The roads in New York, where we took delivery are a lot harsher than where we live. If I was living in NY, I would consider a wheel change, solely because of the risk of destroying the wheels in one of the many potholes. However our town, where most of the wife's miles will be done, routinely scans, repairs and resurfaces our roads.

To each there own, but i dunno the MYP must ride a lot better than my MYLR if what people are saying here is to be believed.

I have a late model 911 and frequently get a Macan as a loaner, I think the Macan (non active suspension - low end loaner car version) is sprung much better than the MY.

To each there own, but i dunno the MYP must ride a lot better than my MYLR if what people are saying here is to be believed.

I have a late model 911 and frequently get a Macan as a loaner, I think the Macan (non active suspension - low end loaner car version) is sprung much better than the MY.
Its all relative to what your road conditions are as to "believing" what people say. I tried to provide context and background to my experience. If I were routinely driving on bouncy LA freeways like Polymer mentioned above, I would probably select a different car. I'm also not singing praises for the suspension, but simply saying its just fine for my driving conditions. If they came out with a new model and a softer ride, would I trade it in? Probably. But as its currently built I don't view the suspension as a real negative for my daily driving.

Reactions: dagug
Showing that even a lowly prius prime with stock suspension has a better ride, even with getting coilovers(which did help a bit). The slow bumps/bad roads are the worst

Its all relative to what your road conditions are as to "believing" what people say. I tried to provide context and background to my experience. If I were routinely driving on bouncy LA freeways like Polymer mentioned above, I would probably select a different car. I'm also not singing praises for the suspension, but simply saying its just fine for my driving conditions. If they came out with a new model and a softer ride, would I trade it in? Probably. But as its currently built I don't view the suspension as a real negative for my daily driving.
I live in Los Angeles…no major issues on the freeways. I go from San Fernando valley to Santa Monica, downtown Los Angeles, 405 and took the 5 up to northern Bay Area. 🤷‍♂️. Car to Springs twice.

A street that drives me bonkers in any car…laurel canyon from Hollywood in to valley. Ruthless old street 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Zalick
I think thats fair and I apologize that what I wrote came across that way. I think there's a lot of posts on this forum saying it's acceptable and it's not as bad as people say it is and there's also posts where people say the suspension is really good. The later is what I'm not so sure about...but everything is subjective

Reactions: Zalick
Your findings and opinion mirror mine. We are 70 coming from a 2020 LR AWD Y and to be honest I was prepared to dislike the MYP ride. Kind of like the 1984 Corvette Z51. A go-cart on the track that could generate OVER 1 g on a track but bucking bronco of a car on streets In the hands of everyday drivers.
Funny you mention that vehicle as thats EXACTLY what my Model Y on the 20" Induction reminds me of.. my 2007 Corvette with the Z51 package. The Model Y has by far the stiffest suspension I've ever experienced in a 4 door vehicle and its not even close. If I didn't know any better I would swear I was driving my old Vette again.

C9A0C39F-DA42-4268-9D72-0D0E79080587.jpeg

FA238E1C-CC82-47B8-BB65-DF57AE0646D7.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: systemr and Zalick
I think thats fair and I apologize that what I wrote came across that way. I think there's a lot of posts on this forum saying it's acceptable and it's not as bad as people say it is and there's also posts where people say the suspension is really good. The later is what I'm not so sure about...but everything is subjective
Yeah, I don't understand the argument that the suspension is really good. It is definitely not really good and not a selling point of the vehicle To me its simply not a big negative and certainly not enough for me to pass on the vehicle given my local driving conditions.

Reactions: Corndart and glide