Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP owner - My take on ride quality.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that most people who hate/don't like the MY/MYP suspension want the cushy ride and the performance is at the bottom of their list, which is not a bad thing at all. You just bought a wrong car for your needs. That's all.
You think that..but you're wrong.
First thing is, as much as you think it is, MY is not a sports car...It might accelerate quickly because it has an electrical motor but it isn't a sports car...its primary customer doesn't even care about that. And even if they did, the suspension still isn't good enough. THIS IS AN SUV.
But beyond that...It isn't that people want cushy..they just want it to not be so harsh...Porsche SUVs are not nearly as bad in the back...People are often very ok with a Merc/BMW type feel where you feel the road..but you have a nice ride. Not an overly plush ride..just a nice ride.

I'm sorry you can't see this...which is fine...but you're in the small minority....Koolaid runs strong with some..

First thing is, as much as you think it is, MY is not a sports car...It might accelerate quickly because it has an electrical motor but it isn't a sports car...its primary customer doesn't even care about that. And even if they did, the suspension still isn't good enough. THIS IS AN SUV.
But beyond that...It isn't that people want cushy..they just want it to not be so harsh...Porsche SUVs are not nearly as bad in the back...People are often very ok with a Merc/BMW type feel where you feel the road..but you have a nice ride. Not an overly plush ride..just a nice ride.

I'm sorry you can't see this...which is fine...but you're in the small minority....Koolaid runs strong with some..
I'll agree and disagree....

Agree: Dont want cushy but don't want neck jarring bobblehead ride

I got the Tesla for power, and being EV(not caring about auto-cross). Its fast as hell and electric and cheap for the performance(when I bought for 50k). For the currrent price i wouldnt buy

Reactions: sleepydoc
It seems to me that most people who hate/don't like the MY/MYP suspension want the cushy ride and the performance is at the bottom of their list, which is not a bad thing at all. You just bought a wrong car for your needs. That's all.
You make it seem black and white but the two are not mutually exclusive. I drove an Audi A4 that was sporty, handled well and had a firm suspension without being harsh. Other EVs have comparable acceleration but manage to have a better ride. The problem is Tesla hasn't put any resources into designing their suspension. People just like to use the performance as an excuse.

As @Polymer says, the MY is not a sports car, especially not the LR version, and most people don't buy it to be a race car.

You make it seem black and white but the two are not mutually exclusive. I drove an Audi A4 that was sporty, handled well and had a firm suspension without being harsh. Other EVs have comparable acceleration but manage to have a better ride. The problem is Tesla hasn't put any resources into designing their suspension. People just like to use the performance as an excuse.

As @Polymer says, the MY is not a sports car, especially not the LR version, and most people don't buy it to be a race car.
European cars have firmer suspension setup than Korean/Japanese cars, but A4s are far from sporty. That's why Audi makes RS/S cars for sport/performance.
I didn't say MY/MYPs are spots car. They are designed to be performance oriented when comparing to other comparable EVs out there, that's why they have quicker steering ratio with firmer suspension setup as well as the speed/torque. Most people know what they are getting into by test driving the car before purchase, and that's why you don't see millions of people complaining about the ride/suspension quality on/offline.
I agree that they need to improve more to accommodate those butt sensitive people by introducing the adjustable suspension, but given the current demand without it, I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

It's amazing he doesn't realize that. There is nothing about the MYLR or MYP that makes it a sports car.

Both the Rivian pickup truck AND the 9,000lb Hummer EV are FASTER from 0-60 than a MYP. And nobody would dare confuse them with anything sporty.

Newsflash = EVs are quick!

I wish I was in the small minority, but you guys with sensitive butt/feeling are the minority. Prove me wrong. Show me where millions of other MY/MYP owners world wide complain about the ride.
If the ride is very harsh for you, was the ride not harsh when you did the test drive? or you had too much Koolaid in your blood that you didn't feel that? or maybe you are not very knowledgeable or have enough experience with cars in general, and only learned about these few instance from the internet.
It's so funny that I become a fanboy/Koolaid guy on Tesla forum and those haters think they are the majority and try to push others around.
I get that you get your feelings hurt every time you drive your Tesla, but most people don't.

I have to disagree with you on the statement that Tesla doesn’t put any resources on suspension. I actually own an Audi Q5 with low profile 21 inch wheels, and the suspension is very similar to the MYP. I actually prefer the overall ride of the MYP because of how controlled it feels on turns.

I’d argue that it comes down to the thin tire profile. To expect a soft cushy ride on low profiles is a bit ridiculous. I also watched that recent video from Ryan Shaw stating that Tesla has internally made ~30 updates to the MY suspension since 2020 - and it seems that is true based on experiences from people who have owned both 2020 and 2022 MY/MYPs.

I wish I was in the small minority, but you guys with sensitive butt/feeling are the minority. Prove me wrong. Show me where millions of other MY/MYP owners world wide complain about the ride.
If the ride is very harsh for you, was the ride not harsh when you did the test drive? or you had too much Koolaid in your blood that you didn't feel that? or maybe you are not very knowledgeable or have enough experience with cars in general, and only learned about these few instance from the internet.
It's so funny that I become a fanboy/Koolaid guy on Tesla forum and those haters think they are the majority and try to push others around.
I get that you get your feelings hurt every time you drive your Tesla, but most people don't.
What is there to be butt hurt with? I really like my car which I've repeatedly said but you have a hard time grasping...For a majority of what I drive on, it is great....For those times I end up on a freeway where it is bump and have someone in the back, I feel bad for them. Or in the rare occasion I'm in the back, I feel bad for me.

How can I show you millions of complainers when most people don't even join a forum? So set this up with an impossible task....that's a smart way to go. Nevermind that someone just listed like 15 publications that complain about this very thing.

I think you are the one lacking in experience..I'm comparing it to many different cars that I've owned or driven....You obviously have not..both in thinking the MY is a sports car (LOL) and that this is the suspension you should expect (LOL).

You lack the experience to understand one basic thing....You can enjoy the car, like the car, even love the car..and still think something isn't quite right with one part of that car and would like to see that improved....Someday you'll get it.

I love my MYLR, as well as the M3LR that it is replacing. As a non-expert driver and non-car nut, I have to say that I definitely prefer the “drive” of the 3. It simply feels like I am more connected to the road (for lack of a better term). Do I wish the drove like the 3? Sure. But that seems unreasonable, since they are designed for two different mission profiles. If there were a way to make the Y drive more like the 3, I might consider it. But it might be like trying to turn a pig into a racehorse. As it is, the Y is a very very fast pig, which is fine.

Reactions: Zalick
I love my MYLR, as well as the M3LR that it is replacing. As a non-expert driver and non-car nut, I have to say that I definitely prefer the “drive” of the 3. It simply feels like I am more connected to the road (for lack of a better term). Do I wish the drove like the 3? Sure. But that seems unreasonable, since they are designed for two different mission profiles. If there were a way to make the Y drive more like the 3, I might consider it. But it might be like trying to turn a pig into a racehorse. As it is, the Y is a very very fast pig, which is fine.
pig on fire!

I have a 2021 MYP, supposedly this vehicle should have an awful suspension that is entirely too stiff.
I have no complaints about the suspension, it handles fine, I do not feel it's too stiff or jarring. My wife is the primary driver of the MYP and she has no complaints on the suspension either. I also have the 2022 LRAWD Model 3, the suspension on that vehicle is also just fine.
I've owned everything from Sports cars, trucks, and luxury sedans so I believe I have a pretty good idea of what different suspension set-ups feel like.
New or potential owners should know that there are also alot of people out there who have no problems with the suspension set-up on the MYP or Model 3.

I think my biggest problem with the Model Y Performance is the low speed ride quality. On the freeway above 55mph though this car glides really well and absorbs bumps decently.

I can't stand going through my neighborhood though, and it may be the way the road was created, but I feel every single bump and dip and crack in the road and it kind of drives me crazy. Even my dogs seem to hate the Model Y for the first couple of minutes because it just rattles them and they refuse to lay down until we're out of my neighborhood.

I can't stand going through my neighborhood though, and it may be the way the road was created, but I feel every single bump and dip and crack in the road and it kind of drives me crazy. Even my dogs seem to hate the Model Y for the first couple of minutes because it just rattles them and they refuse to lay down until we're out of my neighborhood.
Present M3SR+ owner, Feb/Mar ‘23 MYP coming …

Yikes! MY dogs would send me down to the local Ward Office to demand they fix the roads. ;)

cj

I hope all these “reviewers” go back and drive a newer PMY. We took delivery of a July build PMY and can confirm the suspension is vastly improved over our July 2020 build LR AWD Y.

But once a bell is RUNG it’s hard to UNRING.
:cool: Cool!

Test-drove a 2023 Shanghai MYP a few weeks ago, and thought the ride was as good or better than our 2021 Fremont M3SR+. My wife was impressed … good enough for me.

cj

• Informative
I went with the 245/50s (same Michelins A/S Pilot Sports A/S tires that came on the car so that should be an Apple's to Apple's transition). I wanted MAXIMUM PROTECTION, COMFORT and to recover most of the lost range and I'm told the 18s will produce a FASTER 0 to 60 time. I was willing to give up a bit of lateral G's since who approaches 1 g on city streets? I've owned 7 vetes since 1972 and it's been my experience that anyone pushing the handling limits on city streets is an accident waiting to happen.

Yes, the Mobile Tech is scheduled to be here tomorrow between 8 and noon to do the swap. My estimate was $74. I was going to sell the 21s but there really is no market for them unless you are willing to give them away for far less than the individual parts cost new. I listed them for $2500 as NEW TAKE OFF's (less than 200 miles) and finally pulled the listing when my best offer was $1800. So I will keep them and put them back on when I sell or trade it then sell the TSportLines for whatever I can get for them. My plan is to keep the P for about 24 months as I did with my LR AWD Y.
Hey, the wheels you swapped on your MYP wheels to 18s with 245/50-ZR18. Were the wheels 8.5" wide? or 8 inch?