Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New MYP panel gaps around frunk and lift gate. Would you ask service to fix these?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve read a lot of different posts about panel gap issues. Some folks seem to think that fixing them could create new gaps, or other issues and rattles. Other people suggest taking the car in over and over until they are fixed. Curious to know what you all think about these.

1. Hood (frunk lid) has a gap on one side that is larger than the other. Seems slightly off centered.

2. Lift gate looks good on the drivers side, but has a large-ish gap on the passenger side. I noted this at delivery and the advisor said that this is pretty normal, and fixing it would likely create a misalignment elsewhere.

I’ve taken the car in 2 times so far to have these addressed without much success, and I have an appointment this week to try again. The car is otherwise awesome, and I could probably live with the gaps if I had to. Just want to know if you’d keep taking the car in over and over until these are fixed, or if you’d just live with them and enjoy the car.

Thanks for your insight!

Attachments

• 6841E25E-DE18-4C75-BD9F-7C9C201D9A96.jpeg
    6841E25E-DE18-4C75-BD9F-7C9C201D9A96.jpeg
    484.8 KB · Views: 679
  • CD0A0313-5B27-4B77-BB09-BCD197335FE2.jpeg
    CD0A0313-5B27-4B77-BB09-BCD197335FE2.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 459
  • FF9A4E37-C0DC-45F2-90F1-1FD4BA583614.jpeg
    FF9A4E37-C0DC-45F2-90F1-1FD4BA583614.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 459
  • 12F6AB58-F112-4433-B835-391A6EACFFE5.jpeg
    12F6AB58-F112-4433-B835-391A6EACFFE5.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 468
I would absolutely make them fix it. I had some issues on my 2022 MYP (3rd week of June delivery). Much like yours, the hood was off, as well as the hatch (not trying to be rude, but mine wasn't as bad as yours looks). It seems as if some incompetent Tesla employees handled your first two visits (which has happened to me in the past - I'm on my 4th Tesla - where some "advisors" know what they're talking about, and some I feel as if I actually know more than them). It's not a difficult task to correct the aforementioned items. They fixed mine with zero issues and made it right. I would definitely suggest you keep pushing them to fix the issues you have. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: jacknv
If you're not happy with it..take it in...

Make sure you inspect everything because they often cause OTHER gaps while fixing one and they don't bother checking. To be fair, they seem to be doing a bit better than they were a few months ago...

I don't know if I'd wait for it to be perfect..but try to get it good enough...I had the same hood issue and mine looked sunk in...and they got it to a better place..not perfect but not bad...Same side as you.

Same rear issue as well...which when they fixed it created a big gap on the other side and one on the top that stuck out...
End result was better on the other side, slightly better on the original side...mostly fine on the top..

Also had a door issue and some other minor things....Overall, not great..but also not blatantly terrible like it was before...and the rest of the car seems fine..

Update: Tesla San Francisco successfully fixed all of the gaps mentioned in my original post. Really happy with the outcome. Persistence paid off!
Great news. I had lift gate gaps like yours. Except large gap was on drivers side and hardly any gap on passenger side. Liftgate also made snare drum and rattles when going over moderate bumps. First sc said it was in spec. Second sc said it was out of spec & sent car to local bodyshop because they lacked equipment to perform liftgate corrections. The gaps and rattle were fixed.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
Top is after they were done.m bottom is when I picked it up upon delivery day
Ask if they can send it to a body shop. My SC (Centinela near Los Angeles international airport) said for liftgate work they have to send it to body shop since they lack the equipment to align rear liftgate properly.
I’d show the before and after photos. I’d try to get a matching angle of the after photo too in order to help,prove to SC.