TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New Nanotechnology Triples Battery Capacity

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by Electric700, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Electric700

Electric700 Member

#1 Electric700, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

From the article:

Wow, that'd be great. To think, a vehicle with a 300 mile range would be great...

3. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

While I would love to see it...
    Every month somebody says this same thing.

Once they get out of the lab and into commercial use, then I will get excited.

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

But, but, ... won't fusion power (cold, warm or hot) solve all our energy problems within 20 years?
    That's what I've been hearing for decades so it must be true.

5. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

"My my top advice really for anyone who says they’ve got some breakthrough technology is please send us a sample cell. Okay? Don’t send us PowerPoint. Just send one cell that works with all appropriate caveats. That would be great. That sorts out the nonsense and the claims that aren’t actually true. Talk is super cheap. The battery industry has to have more bullsh*t in it than any industry I’ve ever encountered. It’s insane."

-Elon Musk

6. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

I think the key words here were "looks to" improve battery energy density and "approximately" triple. Other than that, I'll wait for Elon to say what batteries he is putting into a real car that I can buy. Those will be the batteries I care about since those will be the ones I am using.

7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#7 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    Thanks for including nano in the thread title so that I don't need to read the article.

(The reason not to read it, is that if humans could manufacture nanotech at scale and at reasonable cost it would open up a myriad of possibilities that would kill all current nanotech-dependent "breakthroughs" in the lab.)

8. Electric700

Electric700 Member

I have another article as a response to your statement :rolleyes:: The 9 Best Nanotechnology-Powered Products | DiscoverMagazine.com.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Doesn't affect my view. With so many nano-tech based battery designs it's impossible to know whether solving the problems required to scale one battery tech would simply enable a better alternative, making it a pointless waste of time to read yet another article on a new one. I get more excited about improvements in current manufacturing processes or breakthroughs in nanotechnology manufacturing itself.

10. Zzzz...

Zzzz... Member

Vanadium is quite an expensive metal. Just saying.