Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they add speed limit viewing all the time, my old 2014 jeep navigation shows speed limits and is dead accurate when they change most of the time. Its nice to know what the limit is so you don't speed in unfamiliar areas that you don't want to.
I also like the breadcrumb feature that shows where I just was.

Reactions: ironwaffle
Am I the only one that actually liked the large, pictorial representation of highway exits? I think they were extremely clear and uncluttered. The new maps on the instrument cluster actually seem to have less detail in terms of street names, at least in the video showing 'current & new' depictions.

Agreed! The new UI in the instrument cluster seems like a huge step backward to me and in watching the video difficult to follow. This is going to be AP 2.0 all over again I think as they get another partner out of the mix.

Reactions: kavyboy and Ken7
Does it do traffic-based routing like Waze and Google Maps do, or does it still prefer the shortest distance route? Without the former, it's still useless and I'm still forced to look at my tiny phone screen rather than using the fantastic built-in displays.
Teslas currently do traffic-based routing. I saw it first-hand driving back the day-into-night of the 2017 eclipse.

001E203D-82D2-4240-B9E9-4F79E8736F77.jpeg

Teslas currently do traffic-based routing. I saw it first-hand driving back the day-into-night of the 2017 eclipse.

View attachment 289450
I also got traffic based routing during the eclipse. It probably saved us at least 30 minutes. I've seen it pop up when I get into the car sometimes, without me even having to navigate to work. It just knows. :)

Reactions: MP3Mike
I also got traffic based routing during the eclipse. It probably saved us at least 30 minutes. I've seen it pop up when I get into the car sometimes, without me even having to navigate to work. It just knows. :)

Correct, but it's sporadic and inconsistent. Moreover, it's to built into the standard directions -- Tesla nav almost ALWAYS underestimates (by a LOT) the time it takes to reach a destination and the proper route to take. Waze typically does not, on the other hand...

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex and TaoJones
From what I've seen and Elon's comments about black box, legacy code it would appear this update will mostly be "under the hood" and not feature rich from the end user's perspective aside from faster maps (vector based) and more updated maps (I believe Tesla was stuck on mapping from 2015).

So, I agree with those suggesting we temper expectations. However, this should be a nice base for more frequent updates in the future.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
Did he mean this last weekend or this coming weekend? :D
It means the June 7th weekend oddly. It takes time to understand how Elon’s brain works. When he says light years, often he means 92 days to be exact. His brain has regular mass, but somehow generates much more gravity, bending time to his whim. It’s fascinating.

Agreed! The new UI in the instrument cluster seems like a huge step backward to me and in watching the video difficult to follow. This is going to be AP 2.0 all over again I think as they get another partner out of the mix.
I honestly can’t see, at least from a graphical standpoint, how anyone can get excited about the new dashboard maps. If I didn’t know any better, I would have picked the old map as the ‘new & improved’ version. :(