Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Haven’t we seen this show before? Rollout with issues, followed by a slow buildup until they reach near parity with the 3rd party they were too cheap to continue paying.

Can’t wait.

Yes and in that show, many of the fanbois will already claim that it has reached parity or even exceeded, long before it reaches parity.

We have indeed seen this show before.

Feh - and feh a second time.

The Navigon IC routing has been excellent and extremely helpful for fine details - countless times. If I had only the touchscreen to rely on instead of:

1) Touchscreen (Google maps w Tesla features)

2) Navigon

3) Waze on my smartphone

4) and sometimes Google Maps on my smartphone concurrently as well (for the long trips).

Then I’d’ve had higher risk and lower safety in again, countless scenarios.

To lose the Navigon granularity in favor of another homegrown solution that’s not ready for prime time would be yet another frustration to add to a growing heap of extant frustrations:

- AP2 being less than AP1.
- Audio management having seemingly shat the bed and having been forgotten about.
- Touchscreen pane management and other UI foibles.

And then to have had this spun as “light years ahead”... ?! Maybe from a behind the scenes perspective, but for customer UX? *shakes head*.

I find myself once again hoping that the next update is not worse than what we have presently.

This may be the point at which I stop applying updates unless and until this new functionality improves over time.

Of course, there won’t be release notes available to preview before applying the update. Although I suspect a kind soul will post images of them here which will be most appreciated.

So... thanks in advance for that.

The current navigation system has a number of limitations, with very few improvements since it was introduced almost 6 years ago.

The navigation map data is loaded (at most) annually - a throwback to the early navigation systems which required visits to service centers to install new maps on optical disks or transferred to an internal harddrive. It appears the current US maps are at least 2 years old, and result in bad routing in areas with recent construction. To implement EAP/FSD, the navigation system must have up-to-date maps, which either means pushing map updates to the cars much more frequently OR (more likely) routing could be done on a cloud server (when it is reachable).

The speed limit data base is a mess. Tesla changed providers last summer - and the new speed limit data has many roads (at least in our area) that either have incorrect speed limits (too high or too low) or have no speed limit information at all on some roads [including frequently used side roads]. Since Tesla uses the speed limit data to restrict when EAP can operate in AutoSteer mode, we need more accurate speed limit data to avoid the rapid breaking that happens when driving on a highway and the software believes the speed limit has dropped below the EAP allowed speed. Like the map data, the speed limit data should be kept more up-to-date and may work better if the data can be pulled from a server rather than relying on sending out more frequent updates.

The navigation functionality is limited to the capabilities supported by the Navigon/Garmin software module Tesla licensed. Since that software supports functionality like waypoints or route customization on other platforms, either Tesla chose not to license that functionality, or (more likely) they decided not to implement the user interface for those features. Hopefully they are planning to do more than just replace the Navigon/Garmin software module with an alternative (open source?) replacement - and this time they'll plan to add features present in other navigation systems.

Google maps is currently being used on the console display - and because Google has invested a lot to keep their maps up-to-date, unless Tesla can find another source for similar quality, up-to-date, road and satellite map data, the new navigation software is likely going to continue using Google maps for the underlying map display - layering on top the navigation map data (routes, chargers, real-time traffic, ...).

Realistically, if we base the new navigation software on what we've seen in previous major Tesla software releases - it's likely to be a "two steps forward and one step back" release. There will be some new features/capabilities that will be great. The UI will probably look great. And there will be a few areas where we'll scratch our heads and wonder why anyone thought those aspects were ever a good idea (like removing the first letter scroll bars from the 8.0 media player UI).

Though with navigation map data and speed limit data so poor in areas right now - anything using up-to-date data has to be an improvement.

Bring it on!

The current navigation system has a number of limitations, with very few improvements since it was introduced almost 6 years ago.

The navigation map data is loaded (at most) annually - a throwback to the early navigation systems which required visits to service centers to install new maps on optical disks or transferred to an internal harddrive. It appears the current US maps are at least 2 years old, and result in bad routing in areas with recent construction. To implement EAP/FSD, the navigation system must have up-to-date maps, which either means pushing map updates to the cars much more frequently OR (more likely) routing could be done on a cloud server (when it is reachable).

The speed limit data base is a mess. Tesla changed providers last summer - and the new speed limit data has many roads (at least in our area) that either have incorrect speed limits (too high or too low) or have no speed limit information at all on some roads [including frequently used side roads]. Since Tesla uses the speed limit data to restrict when EAP can operate in AutoSteer mode, we need more accurate speed limit data to avoid the rapid breaking that happens when driving on a highway and the software believes the speed limit has dropped below the EAP allowed speed. Like the map data, the speed limit data should be kept more up-to-date and may work better if the data can be pulled from a server rather than relying on sending out more frequent updates.

The navigation functionality is limited to the capabilities supported by the Navigon/Garmin software module Tesla licensed. Since that software supports functionality like waypoints or route customization on other platforms, either Tesla chose not to license that functionality, or (more likely) they decided not to implement the user interface for those features. Hopefully they are planning to do more than just replace the Navigon/Garmin software module with an alternative (open source?) replacement - and this time they'll plan to add features present in other navigation systems.

Google maps is currently being used on the console display - and because Google has invested a lot to keep their maps up-to-date, unless Tesla can find another source for similar quality, up-to-date, road and satellite map data, the new navigation software is likely going to continue using Google maps for the underlying map display - layering on top the navigation map data (routes, chargers, real-time traffic, ...).

Realistically, if we base the new navigation software on what we've seen in previous major Tesla software releases - it's likely to be a "two steps forward and one step back" release. There will be some new features/capabilities that will be great. The UI will probably look great. And there will be a few areas where we'll scratch our heads and wonder why anyone thought those aspects were ever a good idea (like removing the first letter scroll bars from the 8.0 media player UI).

Though with navigation map data and speed limit data so poor in areas right now - anything using up-to-date data has to be an improvement.

Bring it on!
I don't think the map data is nearly that old. There are roads around me that have significantly changed in the last 6 months and they are displayed correctly on my nav.

On the speed limit database issue...

I had (perhaps laughably) assumed that the speed limit data came from the AP cameras seeing/reading speed limit signs and remembering the data -- basically building its own database. This assumption was based on the fact that my wife's AP1 Model S displays speed limit information, while my "classic" pre-AP Model S does not.

If in fact the speed limit information comes from a separate database, why is it not displayed in my pre-AP car?

Reactions: BerTX
Well, considering that there are new roads that are just months old on the current nav system, I question that statement.

I can't say if it is the same for the US and for different map suppliers, but I had a Tomtom gps that showed roads that had been planned but not yet build i my old neighborhood.
Luckily, it wasn't a problem for me since I was local, but it would be a pain if you didn't knew and the gps just routed you through a construction site.

Reactions: mrElbe
On the speed limit database issue...

I had (perhaps laughably) assumed that the speed limit data came from the AP cameras seeing/reading speed limit signs and remembering the data -- basically building its own database. This assumption was based on the fact that my wife's AP1 Model S displays speed limit information, while my "classic" pre-AP Model S does not.

If in fact the speed limit information comes from a separate database, why is it not displayed in my pre-AP car?

My understanding is AP cars use the database, which is overridden by the camera data. So if the database says 60mph and the car 'sees' 50mph, the display will show 50mph.
As to why cars without cameras don't display database listings, my guess would be safety and likely regulations.
Without cameras, the incorrect info can't be updated. This would be especially bad in temporary speed changes such as construction zones.

• Helpful
Reactions: pedriscoll
My understanding is AP cars use the database, which is overridden by the camera data. So if the database says 60mph and the car 'sees' 50mph, the display will show 50mph.
As to why cars without cameras don't display database listings, my guess would be safety and likely regulations.
Without cameras, the incorrect info can't be updated. This would be especially bad in temporary speed changes such as construction zones.

AP2 & AP2.5 cars have ONLY used the database since autopilot was activated. No camera recognition of signs at all and the database is and has been what is displayed on the screen. Don't know why it's good enough toe AP2 & AP2.5 cars but not for "legacy" cars without cameras?

Well, considering that there are new roads that are just months old on the current nav system, I question that statement.

In the nav system, what is displayed on the IC, or on the Google maps on the CID which is not used for navigation? (It just has the route from the nav system superimposed over the Google maps.)

If you have no Internet connection Nav will continue to work in the IC, but you would have no maps displayed on the CID. (Nav maps are stored on an SD card in the CID and updated about once a year with data that is a year old.)

No way to use the camera to read speed limit signs. They had to use that one to make the windshield wipers work.
Incorrect, just because the wide-angle camera operates the wipers does not mean that is all it can do... Its neural net can be augments to recognize whatever else is needed beyond just rain/debris. In fact folks have seen that they were groundwork to do just that already beginning to be incorporated into the NN.

So is Tesla doing away with Navigon completely?

Is the update a mix of firmware and a new map database? If the former, which firmware is required to run the new maps?

That is our understanding is that the Navigon system is going away. According to reports, the new system has been in the firmware for a while, it just hasn't been turned on. So the firmware required will be the one Tesla requires before they flip the option to enable the new navigation system. (And we won't know what version that is until they do it.)

Though our understanding is that the Model 3 is already using the new system.

• Helpful
Reactions: apacheguy