Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He said starting "Monday".

No he didn't. He said:

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 11h11 hours ago

Replying to @aNichiporchik

New nav starts rolling out this weekend. Should be considered a mature beta at first, so won’t be perfect, but will improve rapidly. With the old system, we were stuck with legacy 3rd party black box code and stale data. No way to improve.

Are you thinking that it will just be a change in maps?
My impression was the it was all of the navigation system being updated. I could be wrong of course, but vector maps doesn't seem to quite the big difference that Musk suggested earlier was coming.

I suspect it will be the vector maps ( google ) CID display and the enablement of Vahalla which is Tesla Maps that would be used for routing aka IC display.

Reactions: croman
I suspect it will be the vector maps ( google ) CID display and the enablement of Vahalla which is Tesla Maps that would be used for routing aka IC display.
To be honest, it doesn't sound like "light years ahead of the current system" to me, I guess I was imagining things like waypoints, taking SuC occupation into calculations or something like that.

Well, I guess I can be pleasantly surprised if it contains some of that stuff. I suppose I should try to see the battery as half full instead of half empty.

Have been using the Model 3 system since Christmas. Find it terrific.

Definite huge step up from existing MS/MX system.

Does it do traffic-based routing like Waze and Google Maps do, or does it still prefer the shortest distance route? Without the former, it's still useless and I'm still forced to look at my tiny phone screen rather than using the fantastic built-in displays.

What? You have some problem with "in THREE miles, turn left on some-word-produced-by-running-together-the-actual-street-name-and-the-St./Ln./Ave./etc.-suffix" ? ;)
Still beats the nav in my old car. The TTS library was setup for computer terms, not driving. So "Hwy 92 WB" was "Highway Ninety Two Dubble-you Bee" and "Hwy 92 EB" was "Highway Ninety Two Exabytes"