Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no update here. Pinged Tesla Service via the app and got the below answer:

Hi, we have checked this and your maps are on the current latest version available for your Model 3. When a new map update is available this will be sent directly to your vehicle. As no appointment is currently required we will remove this from our calendar. Thank you. Tesla Brooklands

Very weird as I am still on 2019.20.
Is it because I don’t subscribe to premium connectivity (wouldn’t think so) or Tesla servers think this has been pushed to my car?

i challenged them but no reply…

My M3 was in the local SC for the Super Manifold replacement thing a couple of days ago and I asked about maps because I figured they would be able to force and update.

Man behind the desk checked and said they've had no notes from Tesla about new maps, so I have no idea what's going on there. I'm still on 2019, it sort of looks like they've been scheduled in error from Tesla to some of the fleet.

Man behind the desk checked and said they've had no notes from Tesla about new maps, so I have no idea what's going on there. I'm still on 2019, it sort of looks like they've been scheduled in error from Tesla to some of the fleet.

I'm pretty sure most of us remain on the 2019 maps. Given the information already provided by those few individuals who have had a maps update there appears to be absolutely no reason to get excited about the prospect!

I'll also mention once more for the uninitiated: There is no connection between your version of maps software and you system software version. There is no reason to think that because you got a system update that you should expect new maps. They don't come at the same time and are not coordinated. They are also not notified to you when they download .. it happens in the background.

Reactions: rlasry1
Today I drove along the M27 where they are converting the motorway into a (not)smart motorway, and with the 2021 maps, my Mod3 failed to detect any of the 40mph and 50mph roundels. On my way back, the M27 had 45min delays, so the Tesla sat nav took me down some single track roads and B roads home:oops:, however, the Tesla correctly identified all established speed limits.

I did note that new roundabouts in Winchester were on the maps.

So, has the software upgrade gone back to GPS speed limits exclusively?

Today I drove along the M27 where they are converting the motorway into a (not)smart motorway, and with the 2021 maps, my Mod3 failed to detect any of the 40mph and 50mph roundels. On my way back, the M27 had 45min delays, so the Tesla sat nav took me down some single track roads and B roads home:oops:, however, the Tesla correctly identified all established speed limits.

Speed limit signs are only on 'local roads' whatever that means. From what I can tell, its any road where Navigate On Autopilot cannot be engaged - so anyone without EAP or FSD will be none the wiser. For NoA capable roads, then GPS mapping is used. It also uses GPS mapping when it loses continuity of speed signs.

Its been like that since speed sign recognition was introduced on HW3 cars. If it use to detect them, then its likely an indicator that the map now recognises that section of M27 as being NoA capable. Certainly M27 around Portsmouth was always NoA capable - I've used it between A3 and M27 off ramp for Portsmouth only disengaging for a roundabout at end of offramp.

Reactions: RedMod3
Speed limit signs are only on 'local roads' whatever that means. From what I can tell, its any road where Navigate On Autopilot cannot be engaged - so anyone without EAP or FSD will be none the wiser. For NoA capable roads, then GPS mapping is used. It also uses GPS mapping when it loses continuity of speed signs.

Its been like that since speed sign recognition was introduced on HW3 cars. If it use to detect them, then its likely an indicator that the map now recognises that section of M27 as being NoA capable. Certainly M27 around Portsmouth was always NoA capable - I've used it between A3 and M27 off ramp for Portsmouth only disengaging for a roundabout at end of offramp.

Ah, that would match my experience, I'd been trying to figure out why sometimes it seems to detect signs and other times it doesn't.

Another reason not to buy EAP/FSD in the UK in that case - you're going to find yourself with a lot of fines when the car hammers through roadworks at 70 on the motorway, or ignores the limit changes on smart motorways.

You are joking I hope! You remain in charge of the vehicle at all times and continue to take full responsibility for speed limits etc.
Whilst this is of course true, it is disappointing that Teslas can’t read speed limit signs, including variable ones on NoA roads. Much cheaper MobileEye equipped cars have been doing this reliably for years.

IThere is no connection between your version of maps software and you system software version.
Largely true, although there was recently a software update that required a map update before one of the features could be activated (I think it was either stop signs or traffic lights) but it's certainly true the two don't come together in as a single update.

There's also no connection between the map you see on the screen (taken live from google) and the map used by the satnav (which is the 2019 version most of us are using), same with traffic information, the data shown on the map from google is not the traffic data used for routing by the satnav. What we see on the screen is literally just live google maps with our location on and its used for nothing else, the actual Sat Nav used for routing is a pretty average affair otherwise.

Reactions: rlasry1
You are joking I hope! You remain in charge of the vehicle at all times and continue to take full responsibility for speed limits etc.

Only partly. The ultimate aim is for the car to be fully autonomous with FSD and ignoring speed limits isn't a good start.

Maybe it's just me, but I already don't use auto steer in my car because the car doesn't seem to be able to detect that I'm holding the wheel half of the time, so I end up pressing my arms down and that results in being more tiring than just steering myself, so as a result I'm extremely sceptical about the benefits of FSD right now - if it was a person I wouldn't get in a car that they were driving.

Reactions: Yachtsman
This in Italy, this night.
Not mine!
FB_IMG_1626859204611.jpg

I can see something is about to come in to mine... nothing at all on the display, yet in the Vehicle data from the API:

JSON:
{
    "software_update":
    {
        "download_perc":"0",
        "version":"EU-2021.8-12875",
        "install_perc":"1",
        "status":"",
        "expected_duration_sec":"2700"
     }
}

Reactions: Irata