Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally finding these 2021 maps to be very problematic in and around Southampton.
The roads are there on the map, but the navigation keeps doing crazy detours like the following from today... Before then shoving me off the Main road down a single-track farmers road to only re-enter the original road once again...
Something similar happened to me. Was going to a place I'd never been, do when it had me drive by it and then U-turn a mile down the street wtf? But I didn't know until I came back to where I'd been. Hoping new version will be better

The Nav does seem rather strange. Was driving round the M25 when it told me to come off for one junction before rejoining a junction later. There was no traffic showing on that stretch of the M25 so just stayed on and it was absolutely fine. It did a similar thing to us heating up the A1(M) a couple of weeks back. There’s something weird going on and unfortunately it means I have to double check any unexpected instructions and can’t just trust it to know better.

Had the new maps for a while but pressed the ‘hungry’ and ‘I’m feeling lucky’ buttons the first time last night. It’s suggested various restaurants in Dublin which is somewhat inconvenient given I live in the north of Scotland. I may not be furnished with much choice up here but there‘s definitely plenty of nearer options. Anyone else have the same issue or know how it can be resolved please?

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Had the new maps for a while but pressed the ‘hungry’ and ‘I’m feeling lucky’ buttons the first time last night. It’s suggested various restaurants in Dublin which is somewhat inconvenient given I live in the north of Scotland. I may not be furnished with much choice up here but there‘s definitely plenty of nearer options. Anyone else have the same issue or know how it can be resolved please?

It's a regular problem in some places. I live near the mouth of a major river, so when I search for something nearby I usually get a dozen options that are just the other side of the river. Technically close, but it would be around a 10-15 mile drive to actually get to them. (I've just had a look for my nearest KFC, top answer is 3.8 miles away on the other side of the river, but in reality 9.6 miles to drive.)

Sadly, Tesla aren't unique, as far as I can tell all the mapping solutions have the same fault - including Waze - because they only ever use proximity in their searches; I'm not sure that it's even practical to search any other way unless you want to wait a long time for results.

When Google maps calculates directions, it tells you the miles travelled.

Why can't Google searches just find stuff based on that figure rather than as the crow flies?
Because it would need to calculate the route every time and for every single potential destination. Its the same with all mapping systems and search, the dirty distance is as the grow flies which is simple trig based on coordinates, and actual requires a route to be calculated

Picked up my SR+ on 17th August 21 and it didn't recognise my home address, though it did recognise my postcode which is exclusive to the small development where I live. The nearest address that is "on the list" is an adjacent road which actually has a different postcode. My NAV Data is EU-2019.21-12489 The position marker is in the about right place. I also note from looking at Google Maps webiste that my road is not named so I guess thats why. I added the name to Google Maps so lets see what happens.

Picked up my SR+ on 17th August 21 and it didn't recognise my home address, though it did recognise my postcode which is exclusive to the small development where I live. The nearest address that is "on the list" is an adjacent road which actually has a different postcode. My NAV Data is EU-2019.21-12489 The position marker is in the about right place. I also note from looking at Google Maps webiste that my road is not named so I guess thats why. I added the name to Google Maps so lets see what happens.

You just need to park up and then get the car to set that location as "Home". It shouldn't even need to be an identifiable street. My Home is (slightly) off the road. (Maybe it works differently for me because I don't live in a street so there are no alternative choices flagged up.)

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I picked up my M3 performance on Saturday.
Blue, black interior. Great car and getting to know it thoroughly now.

One thing, the maps seem to out of date. We've had a lot of work of late in the Cambridge (A14) area but the map doesn't applied these changes to the navigation. I was under the impression this was BASED on Google Maps, rather than being the ACTUAL Google Map app.

Has anyone else noticed map-reality variations and if so, how do we update?

Thanks
Beej
I was at Cambridge at the weekend, and there are still major errors getting on and off this road. I think on my Cardiff to Cambridge run, I missed most of the new A14 stretch , because of these errors . The road has been open over a year now . My Tesla was delivered new 4 days ago!

On the day of collection for me 4/12, I got a navigation update as below. I must admit I didn’t check the software version on collection.

Attachments

• DBA8E305-5BAD-44BD-BD87-91939229BF5A.jpeg
    DBA8E305-5BAD-44BD-BD87-91939229BF5A.jpeg
    727 KB · Views: 118
This seems the best place to ask UK people about maps ........

In the "Go Anywhere" route planner on the Tesla UK website Go Anywhere | Tesla I'm testing out various trips across Europe for different options, e.g. LR 3, RWD 3, etc. Problem is I don't seem to be able to get beyond Budapest or Szeged in Hungary. As soon as I enter (say) Nis or Belgrade in Serbia, or destinations in Romania or Bulgaria I get the same "Sorry we could not calculate a trip from .....to........" error. This error persists even if I shift the start location to be outside of the UK - to be (say) Budapest to Nis, etc. This error persists even if I use a S with 405-mile range. I noticed this error in the Autumn when I drove past the Superchargers in Nis (which prompted me to check the route) and the error is still there. Similarly I'm unable to check a trip from (say) Athens to Patras in Greece.

(I suspect the charger gap between Nis and northern Greece will be filled in the next several months, making that route viable. Similarly a charger at Igoumenitsa or Preveza will make the routes via the Italian ferries possible out of Ancona etc. But that's not the issue I'm describing.)

Any ideas ?