Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Maps for Europe Rolling Out 2021.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone noticing significant routing differences since the new update? I had a few odd ones since, but then yesterday I had a wft* one and mentioned it to my wife. Completely independently she said that she had had a few weird ones recently.

* Yesterday it wanted to take me by the slightly shorter, but much slower B382 (arrowed). The reality, I kept with the faster, quicker, slightly longer A3 and encountered no traffic. Took me about 17 minutes according to TeslaFi so no way that the suggested route was going to be any quicker on much less preferable roads.

View attachment 666725
There are some navigation companies that currently try a different approach. Instead of suggesting to everyone the same, currently fastest streets, they shuffle routes a little bit to distribute traffic evenly instead of focusing it. The goal is that the navigation system not only re-routes you AFTER a traffic jam has occured, but actively tries to prevent traffic jams from even happening. So basically going from simple point-to-point navigation to complex traffic management.

This of course works best if as many people as possible use the same system. Tesla would have an advantage here, since they can "force" every user to use the same system.

So maybe they try to go in that direction too.

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
So maybe they try to go in that direction too.

The reroute is a B road, below left - it would only take a cyclist struggling to get up a hill to cause a traffic jam. The preferred route, below right, is effectively motorway standard.

1622194237939.png vs 1622194362159.png

I think any system that thinks routing everyone up the B road to avoid creating a traffic jam on the A road is going to work is imho, rather flawed in its execution.

The reroute is a B road, below left - it would only take a cyclist struggling to get up a hill to cause a traffic jam. The preferred route, below right, is effectively motorway standard.

View attachment 667167 vs View attachment 667168

I think any system that thinks routing everyone up the B road to avoid creating a traffic jam on the A road is going to work is imho, rather flawed in its execution.
You didn't get it. It's not about routing EVERYONE just to another road but to route SOME to other roads so traffic gets distributed more equally.

But as I said, that is just one possibility (that would be an interesting and intelligent new way for AIs to manage traffic in general instead of just routing), but another possibility is of course that the routing was just bad in that case 😋

I did get it*. It takes just one cyclist/tractor/badly parked delivery van etc to cause a traffic jam for one car on that type of road.

I think rerouting was just bad.

* I actually worked on a system that did similar and could route traffic to reduce vehicle emissions in hot spots and divert them via routes where we modelled that there would be more headroom in the pollution.

Last edited:
Not too much to feel you are missing out on. I've only noticed a few speed limit corrections - still noticing uncorrected ones that due to their location are not picked up with visual. Not sure if its recent software or navigation update, but I've started to see traffic lights visualised on some motorway overhead gantries - thankfully I've turned off the FSD stop line control function. I've also had the car travelling on a motorway but speed slowing as if it was on the adjacent off ramp - I think that one may be an existing bug as it occurred in very specific circumstances (was 'on NoA' that wanted to turn off but NoA was disabled due to poor weather so car didn't actually turn off) and when I did same section of road with NoA turned off, everything was fine.

Not too much to feel you are missing out on. I've only noticed a few speed limit corrections - still noticing uncorrected ones that due to their location are not picked up with visual. Not sure if its recent software or navigation update, but I've started to see traffic lights visualised on some motorway overhead gantries - thankfully I've turned off the FSD stop line control function. I've also had the car travelling on a motorway but speed slowing as if it was on the adjacent off ramp - I think that one may be an existing bug as it occurred in very specific circumstances (was 'on NoA' that wanted to turn off but NoA was disabled due to poor weather so car didn't actually turn off) and when I did same section of road with NoA turned off, everything was fine.
I forgot that. The stop line got miffed today. It stopped a good 30 feet from the line and then gave me a warning and a red line when still 15 feet away!

I seem to remember from an earlier software release that there was going to be some additional visualisation of complex junctions once the new maps were available. Has this happened, or was it only for some overseas markets?
No obvious changes in my car.

To be fair though, the new map has now made me anticipate 'minor updates & bug fixes' with a heightened level of excitement.