Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charged there today as well. Little chance of that location being iced. It is in the back parking lot of Stop & Shop. I walked around the building and went into the store but I'm not sure it would be such a comfortable walk at night alone. I'm glad it's online but location doesn't feel all that safe, especially during the evening.

Moderator's Note

Please note that all North American Supercharger threads have been moved out of the Charging & Infrastructure forum into their respective regional forums. So, this forum is the right place to discuss all the New England Superchargers. (For the record, New England = CT, MA, ME, NH, RI & VT).

Please note that all North American Supercharger threads have been moved out of the Charging & Infrastructure forum into their respective regional forums. So, this forum is the right place to discuss all the New England Superchargers. (For the record, New England = CT, MA, ME, NH, RI & VT).
Would it make sense to consider closing this thread and enforcing further granularity by discussing the "Location X" supercharger in a dedicated "Location X" thread?

We get a lot of cross posting here - look at Tliving's meta-post above:

West Springfield is online. I charged there yesterday. See this post:
West Springfield, MA - Supercharger - Page 7

I did the same thing with Hooksett updates. Posted to both this thread and the Hooksett thread. It just seemed to clutter everything up.

I don't see a general "CA superchargers" thread; seems like there is a specific thread per supercharger (maybe I'm wrong; I don't spend much, if any, time in other regions' sub-fora).

(a) We rarely close a thread, but let things die a natural death.
(b) There's still some value in this thread for general discussions/speculations about new SCs where we don't yet know a specific location. As soon as we get a definite confirmation about intent for a location, I think that's when we spin off a dedicated thread (as I did this AM re WRJct).

Email from Tesla about Hookset yesterday "The planet’s fastest charging station is now just a road trip away.” but I would stil have to stop somewhere along the way for a not so super charge. Close but no cigar. I am hopefull there will be one more charger between Augusta and Portland by the time I have the car so Hookset can be a real road trip.

(a) We rarely close a thread, but let things die a natural death.
(b) There's still some value in this thread for general discussions/speculations about new SCs where we don't yet know a specific location. As soon as we get a definite confirmation about intent for a location, I think that's when we spin off a dedicated thread (as I did this AM re WRJct).

Here's how I've handled the alternate site question:

I'm writing to express my support for establishing a supercharger in Portland, ME, as proposed. I understand approvals for a downtown site have been slow to come, but I consider this a critically important location. A supercharger in Portland will be an important link to the rest of the state and maritime Canada. An alternate site in the Portland to Freeport area may be tempting, but should be prioritized only if it will produce an operating supercharger sooner than the downtown site.

Maine is our personal vacationland and ancestral home, and a large number of our relations are scattered around the state as far north as Fort Fairfield (about 300 miles north of Portland). Also, we have roots in the Maritime provinces, and Maine is our gateway to those as well as to the Acadia National Park coastline.

Optimal initial spacing of superchargers would seem to suggest priority be given to the Portland site.

Best regards,
Thomas Earle Moore

Gwen Marie Moore
Annapolis MD 21401
Model S P26474

Portland, ME sausage making now appears under threat:
9/26: not received final lease as hoped
10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
10/24: believes last remaining lease issue is solved
10/31: hopeful final iteration was sent the previous day
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/12: utility not yet answered on possible solution.
12/19: CMP does not like proximity of transformer and gas lines …back to the drawing board...
1/9/2015: CMP and Tesla will meet within next two weeks to come up with a solution.
1/15/2015: CMP and Tesla visited and met and agreed a solution, but it needs to be documented and then reviewed and agreed by CMP.
2/27: Seems like Tesla wants to back out of the deal, from email sounds like they want more years and better terms.
Previously site owner had suggested that a recent conversation implied senior pressure to negotiate better site deals, and this is the consequence. Site owner trying to convince Tesla to continue with agreed terms, or if Portland will help compensate to allow for new terms. I don't have more details.

I really hope Tesla owners don't end up with a long walk to a food court.

PS Augusta March planning board agenda still doesn't show any sign of Tesla.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney thanks for keeping tabs on things. I also do not have a MS yet but am very interested in the green movement to NOT further destroy our planet. My in-laws live around Portland Maine and I would love to find out when a Portland area SC would be installed. I keep looking on the supercharge website to find a blue permit circle but NONE exists in ALL of Maine !!!! Ahhhhh! Thanks again.

Portland, ME sausage making now appears under threat:
9/26: not received final lease as hoped
10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
10/24: believes last remaining lease issue is solved
10/31: hopeful final iteration was sent the previous day
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/12: utility not yet answered on possible solution.
12/19: CMP does not like proximity of transformer and gas lines …back to the drawing board...
1/9/2015: CMP and Tesla will meet within next two weeks to come up with a solution.
1/15/2015: CMP and Tesla visited and met and agreed a solution, but it needs to be documented and then reviewed and agreed by CMP.
2/27: Seems like Tesla wants to back out of the deal, from email sounds like they want more years and better terms.
Previously site owner had suggested that a recent conversation implied senior pressure to negotiate better site deals, and this is the consequence. Site owner trying to convince Tesla to continue with agreed terms, or if Portland will help compensate to allow for new terms. I don't have more details.

I really hope Tesla owners don't end up with a long walk to a food court.

PS Augusta March planning board agenda still doesn't show any sign of Tesla.

While I have no 'inside or direct' knowledge, from the vibe I get this site is not going to happen. :mad: I hope I am wrong.

We got a quick reply:

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Moore,

Thank you for your email and feedback. There are a number of scenarios that can affect our ability to complete a station at any particular site. However, we are committed to establishing the Supercharger network throughout Maine. The timeline for a new site can vary, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Thank you,
The Tesla Supercharger Team

Here's how I've handled the alternate site question:

I'm writing to express my support for establishing a supercharger in Portland, ME, as proposed. I understand approvals for a downtown site have been slow to come, but I consider this a critically important location. A supercharger in Portland will be an important link to the rest of the state and maritime Canada. An alternate site in the Portland to Freeport area may be tempting, but should be prioritized only if it will produce an operating supercharger sooner than the downtown site.

Maine is our personal vacationland and ancestral home, and a large number of our relations are scattered around the state as far north as Fort Fairfield (about 300 miles north of Portland). Also, we have roots in the Maritime provinces, and Maine is our gateway to those as well as to the Acadia National Park coastline.

Optimal initial spacing of superchargers would seem to suggest priority be given to the Portland site.

Best regards,
Thomas Earle Moore

Gwen Marie Moore
Annapolis MD 21401
Model S P26474

I just talked to the owner of the Fore St. Garage, and that location is definitely not going to happen. Tesla changed its mind about what an acceptable business arrangement would be, and those terms don't recognize the difference between parking spots at a big mall and those at a busy, space-constrained business in a city center. I'm not sure how Tesla is going to get spots installed in city centers with its new policy, but at least in Portland I expect that they'll be able to find a location at or near the Maine Mall. Maine Mall has its own exits off both I-95 and I-295, so even I will acknowledge it's better from an EZ-off, EZ-on perspective. It will not, though, be nearly as pleasant a place to spend time.

... it's better from an EZ-off, EZ-on perspective. It will not, though, be nearly as pleasant a place to spend time.

What people consider a pleasant place to spend time varies wildly. Also, pretty much all places are uninteresting after hours. Convenience, however, is pretty universal and doesn't vary much with time of day. I think Tesla is refining its criteria and is on the right track.

In the long run, if I'm going to spend 10-20 minutes somewhere my top priorities are convenient access, a bathroom, and WiFi. If I'm going to spend longer then I'd add other things.

That was one reason the Fore St Garage option is so good: it's adjacent to a brand-new Hyatt, providing 24/7 access to clean bathrooms and a pleasant place to sit. BTW, I gather from further emails that the owner is still exploring some ways to make this happen.
Is he still planning to buy a Chademo adapter to lend to visiting Model S's? I'd think an hour at the Chademo while eating dinner would be sufficient for a Boston->Bar Harbor run.

That was one reason the Fore St Garage option is so good: it's adjacent to a brand-new Hyatt, providing 24/7 access to clean bathrooms and a pleasant place to sit. BTW, I gather from further emails that the owner is still exploring some ways to make this happen.

I think his best change is a destination charger at this point. TM seems set on Maine Mall, Augusta and eventually Bangor.