Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really do not think you can base their nationwide SC rollout strategy based on California. We've seen since the beginning that that region is highly favored for locals. That's not true for the rest of the country.

Not sure how else I would describe so many SC's either in place, or planned, in a small area.

Most vocal owners writing and calling all the time?

I'll be happy if it carries into the New England area getting Model 3 delivery preference, but I won't hold my breath and stamp my feet.

Not sure how else I would describe so many SC's either in place, or planned, in a small area.

Not which "small area" you are referencing.

I'm sure, except for California where Elon Musk and his employees live, that Tesla is not in the free energy business for their customers. The idea of SCs are to enable long distance travel, evidenced by the nastygrams TM had sent out to local people using SC on a regular basis.

So saying that Burlington, MA has a high concentration of tech workers makes it a prime location for a SC doesn't make sense. Those companies should be offering destination charging for their employees, not Tesla.

It just so happens that Burlington is near the intersection of several highways, which might make sense for long distance travelers.

I refer back to my original analysis -- the "second" drop-pin on the "coming soon" map is just too far south to pin point the Burlington/Woburn area.

Not which "small area" you are referencing.

I'm sure, except for California where Elon Musk and his employees live, that Tesla is not in the free energy business for their customers. The idea of SCs are to enable long distance travel, evidenced by the nastygrams TM had sent out to local people using SC on a regular basis.

So saying that Burlington, MA has a high concentration of tech workers makes it a prime location for a SC doesn't make sense. Those companies should be offering destination charging for their employees, not Tesla.

It just so happens that Burlington is near the intersection of several highways, which might make sense for long distance travelers.

I refer back to my original analysis -- the "second" drop-pin on the "coming soon" map is just too far south to pin point the Burlington/Woburn area.

So Chelmsford/Lowell. 495/3?

I find it odd that when I present a theory, I am wrong and we have no way of knowing what Tesla thinks, but when you present a theory, it's right, but we have no way of knowing what Tesla thinks...huh...?

Also, 6 Supercharger sites within a 1 hr drive if downtown Boston is definitely "small geographical area".

Last edited:
So Chelmsford/Lowell. 495/3?

That's even further north and west of the mysterious drop-pin on the coming soon map.

Look, I'm not here to argue what area and why Tesla may put in a new SC. That's like arguing religion or politics. I simply posted just to hypothesize exactly where the mysterious drop-pin is pointing. Using a strictly computational method (see original post), the point of the drop pin simply can not be north of the Masspike. Unless, as I already pointed out, the hidden drop-pin is the existing Dedham location, and the visible one is "coming soon", which places the new SC south and west of Dedham, near Mansfield.

so potentially the Burlington area. There's a ton of IT companies and stores/shopping plazas that seem to fit Tesla's SC strategy in that area, so that may be where it's going to be.
IT professionals travel and stay at the many hotels in the area.
I find it odd that when I present a theory, I am wrong and we have no way of knowing what Tesla thinks, but when you present a theory, it's right, but we have no way of knowing what Tesla thinks...huh...?

I didn't say you were wrong, I just provided evidence refuting it. Tesla and Elon Musk have said on many occasions and through distinct actions that the SC network is to enable long distance travel (except for the anomalous California areas already pointed out -- that pattern does not occur anywhere else on the map). The SC network is not for free energy for locals or businesses where there may be high concentrations of the core Tesla owner demographic.

That's even further north and west of the mysterious drop-pin on the coming soon map.

Look, I'm not here to argue what area and why Tesla may put in a new SC. That's like arguing religion or politics. I simply posted just to hypothesize exactly where the mysterious drop-pin is pointing. Using a strictly computational method (see original post), the point of the drop pin simply can not be north of the Masspike. Unless, as I already pointed out, the hidden drop-pin is the existing Dedham location, and the visible one is "coming soon", which places the new SC south and west of Dedham, near Mansfield.

I didn't say you were wrong, I just provided evidence refuting it. Tesla and Elon Musk have said on many occasions and through distinct actions that the SC network is to enable long distance travel (except for the anomalous California areas already pointed out -- that pattern does not occur anywhere else on the map). The SC network is not for free energy for locals or businesses where there may be high concentrations of the core Tesla owner demographic.

They've been known to "approximate" their coming soon pins, and then narrow it down once they get permitting/site agreements, etc. For the longest time, the pin that "became" Seabrook, NH looked more like it was in MA, closer to 494/95.

So we're all just guessing, based on Tesla's current guess.

FWIW, I still think the "coming soon" pin could coincide with a new Service Center for North Shore/Southern NH, in which case, it WOULD be based on Tesla ownership in the area, while also serving as a nice stopping point for through-travellers.

We'll see..........

Look at what they did to NJ. Tripled the number of stalls while keeping the number of locations constant. Can't project anything from Elon's announcement last night. Maybe Dedham/Auburn will have 16 stalls, and still 3 locations in NH.

Look at what they did to NJ. Tripled the number of stalls while keeping the number of locations constant. Can't project anything from Elon's announcement last night. Maybe Dedham/Auburn will have 16 stalls, and still 3 locations in NH.
fair point.

but Newark, DE didn't get its own "coming soon" pin when they added stalls to it.

Based off what was seen around here (eastern MA, northern CT, RI, and Southern NH+ME), the current amount of service centers won't cut it.

expect to see more.

They've been known to "approximate" their coming soon pins, and then narrow it down once they get permitting/site agreements, etc. For the longest time, the pin that "became" Seabrook, NH looked more like it was in MA, closer to 494/95.

So we're all just guessing, based on Tesla's current guess.

FWIW, I still think the "coming soon" pin could coincide with a new Service Center for North Shore/Southern NH, in which case, it WOULD be based on Tesla ownership in the area, while also serving as a nice stopping point for through-travellers.

We'll see..........

You're right about the guessing, of course - the guessing is what makes it fun! However, as the person who did the photoshop work on the "coming soon" map (back a ways on page 39, #779), I can tell you with some certanty that the coming soon marker lands right on Boston. All the other markers line up exactly with existing chargers. Now it could be that someone just threw it down on the map, but it would be funny to put it almost exactly behind the Dedham one if you intended to represent something on 128 or 495.

Believe me, no one would be happier that I to see a supercharger/service center in the northwest suburbs (in fact, I'm pushing for Burlington, but that's the subject for a different thread)!

You're right about the guessing, of course - the guessing is what makes it fun! However, as the person who did the photoshop work on the "coming soon" map (back a ways on page 39, #779), I can tell you with some certanty that the coming soon marker lands right on Boston. All the other markers line up exactly with existing chargers. Now it could be that someone just threw it down on the map, but it would be funny to put it almost exactly behind the Dedham one if you intended to represent something on 128 or 495.

Believe me, no one would be happier that I to see a supercharger/service center in the northwest suburbs (in fact, I'm pushing for Burlington, but that's the subject for a different thread)!

I remember that, but it's also changed, Tesla seems to have a habit of making pins come and go and move around.....

And yes, seeing as I am in Ayer....I'd love to see something covering N and W of Boston, and Southern NH.

And at this point, it's more about the Service Center for me. When I get my fully loaded Model 3, I'm not going to care about a "local" supercharger, unless I've been travelling and need the juice to get home.

I remember that, but it's also changed, Tesla seems to have a habit of making pins come and go and move around.....

And yes, seeing as I am in Ayer....I'd love to see something covering N and W of Boston, and Southern NH.

And at this point, it's more about the Service Center for me. When I get my fully loaded Model 3, I'm not going to care about a "local" supercharger, unless I've been traveling and need the juice to get home.

I'm certain that Tesla will have an SC in the Metrowest area by that time - if you look at the map of EV rebates on mor-ev . org, it's clear that the bulk of EV owners in MA are in that area. And you're right about local supercharger access - I've had my Model S for 8K miles now, and never wanted for one. I don't know why Tesla wouldn't put one in at the SC, though. It can't cost much more to install while they're doing construction, like they did in Dedham, and with the various interstates threading through the area it would make sense for long-distance travel as well.

Congrats on reserving a Model 3 - that's a sharp-looking car. They're going to sell a ton of those.

In terms of enabling travel - something between Augusta and the Quebec network would be nice. Drummondville is likely only reachable from Augusta in summer. Sherbrooke and St. Georges would fill that in to connect to Montreal and Quebec City.

Across the roof of New England, it's a haul from Augusta to Burlington. Gorham might be a good spot, or St. Johnsbury.

I'm certain that Tesla will have an SC in the Metrowest area by that time - if you look at the map of EV rebates on mor-ev . org, it's clear that the bulk of EV owners in MA are in that area. And you're right about local supercharger access - I've had my Model S for 8K miles now, and never wanted for one. I don't know why Tesla wouldn't put one in at the SC, though. It can't cost much more to install while they're doing construction, like they did in Dedham, and with the various interstates threading through the area it would make sense for long-distance travel as well.

Congrats on reserving a Model 3 - that's a sharp-looking car. They're going to sell a ton of those.

I'll be installing a 14-50 on a 50A breaker when I get a little closer to delivery...which is admittedly a while from now.....

It would be great if they have a Metrowest/Merrimack Valley/North Shore service center online by the time Model 3's start rolling out.

I'm thinking that the Superchargers-at-a-Service-Center model is what Tesla is going to gravitate towards in the next year-plus. The build-out plan of both is fairly aggressive, and from a land use/permitting standpoint, it makes a lot more sense for Tesla to get them approved together rather than separately.

I'm excited to have a more robust Supercharger network, and AUTOPILOT 2.0 for those long drives to see the in-laws in Virginia.

That strategy still makes no sense. Assume that all those people in metrowest like to vacation in Maine and NH. That's where the superchargers should go.

That strategy still makes no sense. Assume that all those people in metrowest like to vacation in Maine and NH. That's where the superchargers should go.

And they will. Remember, as part of the presentation, the number of Destination Chargers is expected to explode as well.

Superchargers are nice, but as long as you can get to your destination (a hotel, B+B, whatever) and let the car charge while you're skiing, eating, etc, then what's the difference? Depending on where you live in MA right now, you should easily be able to make your way into a majority of NH, ME, and VT with the existing network. And once they build-out the proposed SC locations headed towards Northern Maine, between expected DC build-out and existing SC's, it's not as dire as everyone is making it out to be.

(and some of us head south for vacations, not everyone with a Tesla is going to go to NH, ME, VT)