Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with you Bob on this. California is mostly flat.

Makes sense to have WRJ/West Lebanon since the road there leads to higher elevation changes which may significantly reduce the range. Worst in the winter time too. It's even more important to have the super chargers located there because of these environmental affects. Not only that, alot of Canadians pass through this route as well when they head South to visit relatives in the US. Plugshare showed a few members who have the HPWC, but, it's still not super charging.

I would like to push for the supercharging location in WRJ/West Lebanon. But, I would also like to see a super charger location continuing up to Lincoln, NH as well. For Tesla owners who lives on the West side of NH, the road between I-91N/S to reach I-93 N is full of hills and valleys which is quite demanding on an electric car. Again, if it's winter, even thought the map says 70 miles to get from West Lebanon NH to Lincoln NH, your range is limited to the big hills and valleys in between which significantly reduce your range. So, getting back to West Lebanon NH from Lincoln NH, may leave you out of juice if you are at 90% charge leaving West Lebanon/WRJ superchargers.

Lincoln, NH after all is also a major tourist location. So, it would atleast permit the MA Tesla owners to super charge there after leaving HookSet.

I sure hope not! WRJ / West Lebanon is still a major crossroads. While it's only 60-70 miles from WRJ to either Hookset (on I-89) or Brattleboro (on I-91), it's still a strategic location. It's easy to get to WRJ on a single charge from Boston (~125 miles) or Hartford (~150 miles).

Looking at California, the density of SuperCharger spacing is often 50-60 miles. I hope that Tesla is willing to keep that density in the Northeast.

(btw, Hookset and Brattleboro are on supercharge.info but not on any official Tesla map.)

Given Brattleboro and Hookset, something like Waterbury, VT would make for more evenly spaced segments to get to Montréal from either of those sites.

I understand that, for spacing, but suppose the question to ask may be if there are many travelers from the WRJ (edit) crossroads who continue north on 91?? I don't, but they would be the ones put out.

RE: Hookset
I won't take this as news, since NHDOT previously worked with Tesla to be sure the wiring was in place to install super-chargers, at an indefinite later date. I don't see anything in this thread, from David Smith, that suggests Tesla has resumed contact with NHDOT, to actually install them. "Tesla and NHDOT is working to get the superchargers there" - and then they stopped, IOW. There could be lots of rest stations in the multi-state ZEV MOU, who pick up the phone to Tesla and ask what they should put under the asphalt for ~150kw charging. That doesn't mean SCs are going to show up.

Last edited:
Good point.

However, it would not a good strategy for Tesla not to have superchargers in the hookset rest area. That places provides the key for southern Tesla owners to the Upper Valley NH/VT area. That area has more prius/ford c-max/fusion hybrid cars than anywhere in the Northern part of NH. Tesla would generate lots of sales from former prius owners. But, it's a hypothesis as there are no study that I've read which help supports this idea.

I understand that, for spacing, but suppose the question to ask may be if there are many travelers from the WRJ (edit) crossroads who continue north on 91?? I don't, but they would be the ones put out.

I won't take this as news, since NHDOT previously worked with Tesla to be sure the wiring was in place to install super-chargers, at an indefinite later date. I don't see anything in this thread, from David Smith, that suggests Tesla has resumed contact with NHDOT, to actually install them. "Tesla and NHDOT is working to get the superchargers there" - and then they stopped, IOW. There could be lots of rest stations in the multi-state ZEV MOU, who pick up the phone to Tesla and ask what they should put under the asphalt for ~150kw charging. That doesn't mean SCs are going to show up.

Two confirmed sitings of Tesla equipment and construction crews at the NB Hookset station: #88

Looking at the map, there's still a pretty big jump to get to Quebec City even if there is a supercharger at WRJ, 186 mi, which is possible in an 85 at lowered speed in the winter, but doesn't strike me as very comfortable, particularly since it's not very flat.
So even with one at WRJ, in the winter, it looks like it will be necessary to go through Burlington (assuming there's one there) even though that's about 40 miles out of the way. Even with just the Hooksett supercharger it's not crazy for an 85 with one in Burlington, Vt., but it would be a lot nicer with one in WRJ and another in St J, but St J doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Looking at the map, there's still a pretty big jump to get to Quebec City even if there is a supercharger at WRJ, 186 mi,

Yes, 186 miles to the eventual Supercharger in Drummondville on the way to Quebec City. This is one of the reasons I suggest a SpC in Magog at the intersection of highways 10 (from Montreal) and 55 (the extension of I-91 North of the border). It is 128 miles from WRJ. Magog is also in the center the Eastern Townships, a region in Quebec where many of TM's Montreal clients go on weekends. A rather large Tesla store is opening in Montreal this weekend, and a Magog Supercharger would definitely help with sales there.

You're right, as it stands 185 miles is too long, so hopefully they have someplace in mind. Besides I-91's importance for intra-New England and New England to Quebec traffic, it's key for travel between Quebec and New York City and points South. Google Maps says the preferred route between NYC and QC City is 516 miles via I-87, as opposed to 542 miles by I-91. However, Google doesn't seem to take into account that the border waits on I-87 North of Plattsburgh are usually longer than those at the QC/VT lines.

Kennebunk should be easily reachable from Plymouth. I have been to Wiscasset ME several times, with a charge from East Greenwich RI and from the Natick Mall Tesla chargers. Looking forward to Auburn which will make ME much easier. Portsmouth will be nice too, but mid-coast is very reachable from Auburn.

The key question is whether @cfava can "destination charge" at his family's place in Kennebunk. It's easy to get from Plymouth to Kennebunk on a charge, but impossible to do the round trip on a single charge.

@cfava: you could always bring family here to Portland for a day of shopping and culture. Park in the Fore Street Garage, plug in, and you'll be set. Particularly if you have dual chargers, since the J1772 is rated to 80A @ 208v.

From Plymouth MA to Kennebunk ME is 140 miles, easy in a S60. Unfortunately, I have no destination charging because her folks have a condo with no outside electrical service. Furthermore, the condo association requires guests to park in an area with no electrical service as well.

Hence, I park my car about 2 miles away at the Kennebunk Power and Light building which has a 20amp 208V Clipper Creek Charger. I'll get 12 miles/per hour charge. Better than nothing; however, its not ideal. When in Maine, I like to take the family to the beach, go to Freeport, etc. A Supercharger any place in Maine would be great.

I've also met a Tesla owner in NM who lives in Biddeford Pool ME, he offered to let me charge my car with his HPWC which was a very nice offer.

A Supercharger in Portsmouth NH would be great!!! A Supercharger around the Portland area would be great too. When it comes to Maine, I think Tesla Motors should consider somewhere along Route 1. Many Maine destination points are along Route 1.

Last edited:
From Plymouth MA to Kennebunk ME is 140 miles, easy in a S60. Unfortunately, I have no destination charging because her folks have a condo with no outside electrical service. Furthermore, the condo association requires guests to park in an area with no electrical service.

Hence, I park my car about 2 miles away at the Kennebunk Power and Light building which has a 20amp 208V Clipper Creek Charger. I'll get 12 miles/per hour charge. Better than nothing; however, its not ideal. When in Maine, I like to take the family to the beach, go to Freeport, etc. A Supercharger any place in Maine would be great.

A Supercharger in Portsmouth NH would be great!!! A Supercharger around the Portland area would be great too. When it comes to Maine, I think Tesla Motors should consider somewhere along Route 1. Many Maine destination points are along Route 1.

There is destination charging at the Nonantum Resort in Kennebunkport as well.

I just found out about the Nonantum Resort a couple of weeks ago. I called them about there policy...

1. Hotel Guests use it for free
2. Non- Guests $10.00 charge

I'll glad its there...

$10 is the same as 4 or so gallons of gas. I know that we get spoiled with free charging, but this seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Those are 80A HPWCs, so for the intelligent who have dual chargers, you can charge at 50+ mph!

From Plymouth MA to Kennebunk ME is 140 miles, easy in a S60. Unfortunately, I have no destination charging because her folks have a condo with no outside electrical service. Furthermore, the condo association requires guests to park in an area with no electrical service as well.

I've also met a Tesla owner in NM who lives in Biddeford Pool ME, he offered to let me charge my car with his HPWC which was a very nice offer.

I've been emailing with someone at LL Bean in Freeport letting them know of the Destination Charging program and asking him to consider requesting a HPWC from Tesla. They are a very environmentally focus company and I cautiously optimistic they will think its a good idea. He told me he would take it to some committee he sits on who makes such decisions.

Shop for a couple of hours and get 120 miles+ of range.

I've been emailing with someone at LL Bean in Freeport letting them know of the Destination Charging program and asking him to consider requesting a HPWC from Tesla. They are a very environmentally focus company and I cautiously optimistic they will think its a good idea. He told me he would take it to some committee he sits on who makes such decisions.

Shop for a couple of hours and get 120 miles+ of range.
Good idea -- I will send them a note, too.

- - - Updated - - -

I just found out about the Nonantum Resort a couple of weeks ago. I called them about there policy...

1. Hotel Guests use it for free
2. Non- Guests $10.00 charge

I'll glad its there...
I agree that the charge is reasonable. The hotel is making some margin, but they also paid to wire the HPWC up. The days of free charging everywhere can't last forever. I'm happy knowing that there is one more place where I can get some extra range if I miscalculate getting back to Portland.