Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Hooksett, NH Superchargers

Stopped at the Northbound Hooksett service area today, on my way to work, in the midst of a Nor'easter...figured I'd snap a few pics to update everybody...

Looks like six SC stations are planned...

SC Pylons2.JPG

SC Pylon Close.JPG

The location of the SC spots is on the southeast side of the gas pumps, separated by a single traffic lane from the gas pumps. Perfectly located, in my view, to prevent ICEing as the SCs are almost an extension of the gas pump line. So I don't think anyone is likely to park in a SC slot, any more than they would just park at a gas pump without filling up. My gut tells me this location will naturally send the message that this general location is for fueling/charging only--nice! The location of the SC spots are next to the orange dumpster and behind the mini-excavator in the pic below...

SC NB Location.JPG

I counted six conduit "spots" like the one in the pic below. This tells me six SC pylons are planned.

Conduit.JPG

Will try to snap some pics of the Southbound progress on my way home tonight :)

Last edited:
The location of the SC spots is on the southeast side of the gas pumps, separated by a single traffic lane from the gas pumps. Perfectly located, in my view, to prevent ICEing as the SCs are almost an extension of the gas pump line. So I don't think anyone is likely to park in a SC slot, any more than they would just park at a gas pump without filling up. My gut tells me this location will naturally send the message that this general location is for fueling/charging only--nice! The location of the SC spots are next to the orange dumpster and behind the mini-excavator in the pic below...
Thanks for the updates. I'm really excited about this SC - this is the one that's critical for me.

My meeting up north yesterday got cancelled, and today's changed to a conference call with the weather, so I won't be by to take pictures until late this week or early next.

I was thinking about the ICE'ing issue. I agree with your assessment about northbound. However, after re-thinking it, the southbound side may be at greater risk, since the supercharger spots are fairly close to the bathroom/store entrance. People who come around the front of the building (highway side) probably won't go over there to park, but anyone who drives around the back side may be tempted when looking for a quick parking place.

In reality, that probably wouldn't be the end of the world. Heavy traffic on 93 is usually one-sided. People are heading north to ski/lakes on Fri, south on Sunday. NASCAR traffic is similar. Worst case, you can always go to the next exit, turn around, and charge on the other side. Yes, it's a pain, but you'll get to your destination.

Thanks for the updates. I'm really excited about this SC - this is the one that's critical for me.

My meeting up north yesterday got cancelled, and today's changed to a conference call with the weather, so I won't be by to take pictures until late this week or early next.

I was thinking about the ICE'ing issue. I agree with your assessment about northbound. However, after re-thinking it, the southbound side may be at greater risk, since the supercharger spots are fairly close to the bathroom/store entrance. People who come around the front of the building (highway side) probably won't go over there to park, but anyone who drives around the back side may be tempted when looking for a quick parking place.

In reality, that probably wouldn't be the end of the world. Heavy traffic on 93 is usually one-sided. People are heading north to ski/lakes on Fri, south on Sunday. NASCAR traffic is similar. Worst case, you can always go to the next exit, turn around, and charge on the other side. Yes, it's a pain, but you'll get to your destination.

On my way home tonight I stopped by the Southbound Hooksett rest area. Its construction overall is lagging a bit behind the northbound side. I did manage to snap a few pics though. The weather was getting so bad I had to make it a pretty quick visit...

image1.JPG

On the Southbound sides the materials still appear to be in storage/standby. But the electrical conduits are in the ground already...I counted six conduit "posts" sticking up, for six SC pylons, just like on the Northbound side...

FullSizeRender.jpg

I agree that the location of the SC stations is less ideal than on the Northbound side but I think it's out of the way enough that an ICEing situation is only likely during peak usage times when drivers are fighting for a parking space.

To orient everyone, the Southbound SCs are on the southwest side of the new building, and west of the center of the new gas pumps. There are several rows of parking spaces between the gas pumps and the SCs...you can see the conduits way back, just to the left of the gray parked car in the pic, and to the right of the lamp post...

SB SC Area.JPG

Will keep everyone posted with what I see going forward :)

--James

Last edited:
I agree that the location of the SC stations are less ideal than on the Northbound side but I think it's out of the way enough that an ICEing situation is only likely during peak usage times when drivers are fighting for a parking space.

To orient everyone, the Southbound SCs are on the southwest side of the new building, and west of the center of the new gas pumps. There are several rows of parking spaces between the gas pumps and the SCs...you can see the conduits way back, just to the left of the gray parked car in the pic, and to the right of the lamp post...

--James

thanks for the update. The site plans (June 26, 2014 revision) show the SB superchargers directly 'behind' the liquor store in the angled in parking. those spots were fed by a conduit from the spot you have identified. perhaps the builders realized angled front-in parking isn't an ideal supercharger configuration and they've moved to the more obvious straight in spots further south (-south-east)

This is a cross post with Eastern Canada Superchargers.

I heard from a reliable source that South Burlington, VT is on the way. This is a very important Supercharger Site for connections from New York and New England to Eastern Canada. From the center of South Burlington, here are the distances to known Supercharger Sites:

• 212km, 132mi — Cornwall, ON
  • 157km, 097mi — Montréal, QC
  • 195km, 121mi — Drummondville, QC
  • 233km, 145mi — Albany, NY
  • 243km, 151mi — Brattleburo, VT
  • 249km, 155mi — Hooksett, NH

The U.S. distances are a little on the high side, and could make winter travel in a 60 a bit of a challenge. While this is not the shortest route from Montréal to NYC, it will work for now.

For Supercharged travel between Canada and the U.S., South Burlington, VT, will be a very big milestone!

Last edited:
This is a cross post with Eastern Canada Superchargers.

I heard from a reliable source that South Burlington, VT is on the way. This is a very important Supercharger Site for connections from New York and New England to Eastern Canada. From the center of South Burlington, here are the distances to known Supercharger Sites:

• 212km, 132mi — Kingston, ON
  • 157km, 097mi — Montréal, QC
  • 195km, 121mi — Drummondville, QC
  • 233km, 145mi — Albany, NY
  • 243km, 151mi — Brattleburo, VT
  • 249km, 155mi — Hooksett, NH

The U.S. distances are a little on the high side, and could make winter travel in a 60 a bit of a challenge. While this is not the shortest route from Montréal to NYC, it will work for now.

For Supercharged travel between Canada and the U.S., South Burlington, VT, will be a very big milestone!

What's the status of Brattleboro?

I heard from a reliable source that South Burlington, VT is on the way.
Great news - I don't see how Montreal <-> Hooksett is possible without some charging stop along the way.

I'll add that Cottonwood's "Hooksett on the way" post was on 11/14, and construction started 20 days later.

Now we just need WRJ/West Leb for the S60's

- - - Updated - - -

What's the status of Brattleboro?
My friend who lives nearby said they were going grocery shopping today/tomorrow, and he'll take pictures when he's there.

Perhaps the next Supercharger in northern New England should be at St Johnsbury, Vt rather than the expected one at W Lebanon.

Hooksett to W Lebanon - 70 mi
Hooksett to St J - 115 mi
Hooksett to S Burlington - 156 mi - This seems pretty far for a 60 in the winter.
St J to S Burlington - 74 mi
St J to Drummondville - 126 mi
W. Lebanon - Drummondville - 187 mi - This seems pretty far in the winter for an 85, especially given the terrain and frequent high winds.

Brattleboro to S Burlington - 149 mi
Brattleboro to St J - 121 mi

Overall:
Hooksett to Drummondville via S Burlington - 279 mi
Hooksett to Drummondville via St J - 240 mi

Hooksett to S. Burlington via S. J - 187 mi
Hooksett to S. Burlington via W. Lebanon - 159 mi

Perhaps the next Supercharger in northern New England should be at St Johnsbury, Vt rather than the expected one at W Lebanon.
That may not be a bad idea. Could also help w/ trips to the White Mountains, Mt Washington runs, and apres-ski charging after leaving some of the further north I-93 areas. Not the most efficient route, but 20-30 miles of backtracking beats not being able to reach Hooksett.

Personally, I'd like to see WRJ/West Leb, if only for self interest. I don't think I could get to Mad River Glen and back without charging at (a) WRJ/West Leb, (b) backtracking ~50 miles to Burlington, or (c) using the not-yet-available Chademo adapter at the stations in Middlesex or Montpelier. (A) is clearly cheapest, fastest, and most convenient. Given the current SC's under construction or imminent, I think this one trip is the only need I'd have for a Chademo adapter.

Current Portland, ME timeline
9/26: not received final lease as hoped
10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
10/24: believes last remaining lease issue is solved
10/31: hopeful final iteration was sent the previous day
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/12: utility not yet answered on possible solution.

Current Portland, ME timeline
9/26: not received final lease as hoped
10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
10/24: believes last remaining lease issue is solved
10/31: hopeful final iteration was sent the previous day
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/12: utility not yet answered on possible solution.

Site acquisition is a difficult and tangled process. Thanks for sharing some of how the sausage is made.

Personally I'd vote for a St. Johnsbury SC. We drive up to visit friends near Sherbrooke, QC a couple of times a year. St. Johnsbury would also be a key link over to Québec City.

I'd be interested where in St Johnsbury should the supercharger be located? Very few places to eat near the highway. Having done business in the area several times never had much luck finding good places to eat.
There is a Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and a thai cuisine restaurant near price choppers right off of exit 22.

Would the Maine Mall work better for a SuperCharger location? I've been there a couple of times when visting family....
That location has been discussed. Not sure if the issue is TM or .Maine mall. It would be a good location if placed away from the mall. There are many people whomight be tempted to plug in and go shopping for hours. TM likes places where there is food but no shopping.

I'd be interested where in St Johnsbury should the supercharger be located? Very few places to eat near the highway. Having done business in the area several times never had much luck finding good places to eat.
There is a Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and a thai cuisine restaurant near price choppers right off of exit 22.

Depot Square in the center of town has ample parking and several (weak) food choices. Or perhaps at the Comfort Inn right at Exit 20? Convenience vs food?

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn several times but it only offers continental breakfast so that doesn't really work unless your ok with just staying in your car. Very convenient though to the highway. Yes Depot Square is a possibility but as you said very week food choices and the sidewalks roll up early at night. If they chose to use the area by exit 22 it would be similar to Brattleboro which is located next to a Price Chopper and a limited set of restaurants.