Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you see a pad for the transformer near the pad with the cabinets? Last time I was there was before the concrete had been poured, and I didn't see any room for the transformer pad. I was curious where they were going to put it.

I'll be through there later in the week (yesterday's meeting cancelled); I'll post pictures then.

Did you see a pad for the transformer near the pad with the cabinets? Last time I was there was before the concrete had been poured, and I didn't see any room for the transformer pad. I was curious where they were going to put it.

I'll be through there later in the week (yesterday's meeting cancelled); I'll post pictures then.

Not sure what you mean exactly, as all I saw related to visible infrastructure were the electrical cabinets pictured. I did notice an asphalt section to the left of the pictured cabinets that seemed to be an area with two reserved parking spaces. I speculate this area may be for a CHAdeMO charger and/or BLINK type charger...perhaps?

I heard from a reliable source that South Burlington, VT is on the way.

Utilities in Vermont have been supportive of EV infrastructure, so I'm optimistic there will not be inordinate delays having transformers installed at this location or elsewhere in the Green Mountain state.

The area around Burlington may have the most CHAdeMO units per capita in the USA. Two of these stations also offer CCS/Combo, which isn't bad when you consider there's currently only one other CCS/Combo station in the USA East of Colorado on plugshare.

ChadeMo Vermont.jpg

Not sure what you mean exactly, as all I saw related to visible infrastructure were the electrical cabinets pictured. I did notice an asphalt section to the left of the pictured cabinets that seemed to be an area with two reserved parking spaces. I speculate this area may be for a CHAdeMO charger and/or BLINK type charger...perhaps?
Posts 43 and 46 in the Auburn Supercharger thread have pictures that show what I mean.

Each supercharger site consists of the 3 grey Square D boxes and 3-4 white Tesla boxes (each contains 12 chargers that feeds two charging stations). This is all Tesla owned equipment, and is inside the fence. You can clearly see that in your last Hooksett photo. However, the utility-owned transformer (about 1/2 the height of the tall Square D box and wider) is mounted outside the fence, often on a separate pad.

When I was there, it looked like the bump-out in the curbing would only have enough space for the fenced in area - I couldn't tell where they would put the transformer. But at that time, there was a big hole in the ground, so it was hard to tell, and I didn't think to ask the crew.

There is a large transformer many spaces away (close to the building, behind where the food truck was parked), but I assumed that was for the building itself. Most (all?) supercharges get a dedicated transformer.

I'll snoop around more on Thurs.

Posts 43 and 46 in the Auburn Supercharger thread have pictures that show what I mean.

Each supercharger site consists of the 3 grey Square D boxes and 3-4 white Tesla boxes (each contains 12 chargers that feeds two charging stations). This is all Tesla owned equipment, and is inside the fence. You can clearly see that in your last Hooksett photo. However, the utility-owned transformer (about 1/2 the height of the tall Square D box and wider) is mounted outside the fence, often on a separate pad.

When I was there, it looked like the bump-out in the curbing would only have enough space for the fenced in area - I couldn't tell where they would put the transformer. But at that time, there was a big hole in the ground, so it was hard to tell, and I didn't think to ask the crew.

There is a large transformer many spaces away (close to the building, behind where the food truck was parked), but I assumed that was for the building itself. Most (all?) supercharges get a dedicated transformer.

I'll snoop around more on Thurs.

Ahh got it. Did not know a dedicated transformer was typical. I'm passing by again on my way to work tomorrow so I'll see what I can see on that score.

BTW, all of you will be happy to know that on my way home tonight I stopped by the Southbound side and they had big lights on over the Supercharger area and about 10 guys were working--there was a mini-exc and shovels etc. It was a very active work site at 5:30 pm--impressive. As I got back onto the highway I glanced across to Northbound and clearly a crew was working there too.

Seems like the team wants this SC site operational ASAP. Great news indeed.

Ahh got it. Did not know a dedicated transformer was typical. I'm passing by again on my way to work tomorrow so I'll see what I can see on that score.

BTW, all of you will be happy to know that on my way home tonight I stopped by the Southbound side and they had big lights on over the Supercharger area and about 10 guys were working--there was a mini-exc and shovels etc. It was a very active work site at 5:30 pm--impressive. As I got back onto the highway I glanced across to Northbound and clearly a crew was working there too.

Seems like the team wants this SC site operational ASAP. Great news indeed.
bailyhill14 posted a picture here in the Hooksett thread taken from a slightly more northern vantage point. You can see the transformer pad there.

I noticed Tesla updated the Supercharger map. The slider now reads "Open Now", "End of 2014", "Coming Soon", "2015"

Open Now - Do I really have to list these? :smile: Oh, ok... Greenwich N/S, Darien N/S, Milford N/S, East Greenwich, Sagamore, West Hartford.

End of 2014 - No surprises - dots on Auburn, Hooksett, and Brattleboro (although this is the first I've seen the last 2).

Coming Soon - West Springfield and WRJ/West Leb (so WRJ/West Leb appears to is still be in the running)

2015 - Still shows Portsmouth, Portland, and Bangor. Also Burlington (and another one which appears to be on the NY side of Lake Champlain - maybe on I-87? That would help Albany<->Montreal)

I'm not sure if we can take the 2015 as committed, or if it's far enough out to still be fuzzy. I found it interesting that Burlington hasn't moved into "coming soon" given Cottonwood's hint.

Although if I've learned anything, it's not to put to much stock in this map. :smile:

Anyway, I'm headed through Hooksett shortly. I'll take some photos and post them in the Hooksett thread if there are any updates from the last round.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, as an aside - look at the charging locations on the "Find Us" map if you haven't recently. Destination chargers are popping up like mushrooms...

Good find, @tga. Although not in New England, it's useful to see that the I-90 corridor is "Coming Soon": Utica, Syracuse, Buffalo, and Erie. These SCs open routes west from New England without having to drive through NYC, Philly and Baltimore. They also opens up drives to Toronto. We should do a group drive and see a Red Sox game in Toronto--with zero fuel cost, it'll be much cheaper than seeing a game in Fenway!

FWIW, my guess is that "Coming Soon" sites are fairly far along the process, which bodes well for WRJ/West Leb.

I noticed Tesla updated the Supercharger map...

End of 2014 - No surprises - dots on Auburn, Hooksett, and Brattleboro (although this is the first I've seen the last 2).

Brattleboro by end of 2014 is a surprise to me. Nobody here has posted anything about progress in Brattleboro. Do we even know where in Brattleboro it's going to be?

Portland, ME "sausage making" update:
9/26: not received final lease as hoped
10/10: lease still with Tesla legal department (aside: looking into trading in to get a P85D)
10/24: believes last remaining lease issue is solved
10/31: hopeful final iteration was sent the previous day
11/07: lease agreement is done; now need site visit from Tesla and CMP to confirm all OK
11/14: Tesla contact called away to deal with another site issue; Tesla needs some information from CMP
11/21: not enough room for larger transformer on site; will first check his neighboring site to see if it can go there; hoping for resolution in next couple of weeks. I passed on some of the thanks from this thread.
12/5: transformer issue not yet resolved, but has received information about possible solution
12/12: utility not yet answered on possible solution.
12/19: CMP does not like proximity of transformer and gas lines …back to the drawing board...

(Holidays are coming, so I'll not be checking in for 2 or 3 weeks. It's frustrating all round, but this is truly an excellent location, so would be worth waiting to get it.)

Probably obvious to most but those Superchargers that have only 2 stalls are not only short on stalls but they're sharing power so you have more chance of having nowhere to get a charge or taking longer. So Darien, CT North is a better choice than Milford, CT North. Problem is then you're 30 miles or so shorter on range to the next :p

One of my reliable sources (a TMC member and Tesla owner, who does not post much) has informed me that Salisbury, MA and Augusta, ME are on the way! I'm not sure what is happening to Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME, but these do look to be pretty good locations for continuing north on I-95.

Auburn, MA to Augusta, ME - Google Maps

I-95.jpg

With Salisbury, Auburn, and Sagamore, there is quite a ring of Superchargers developing around Boston.

One of my reliable sources (a TMC member and Tesla owner, who does not post much) has informed me that Salisbury, MA and Augusta, ME are on the way! I'm not sure what is happening to Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME, but these do look to be pretty good locations for continuing north on I-95.

With Salisbury, Auburn, and Sagamore, there is quite a ring of Superchargers developing around Boston.
Great news. Hookset--Augusta is 155 miles, so people coming across NH on 101 can continue on towards Down East Maine, too.

Hopefully the Salisbury SC will be near I-95 and/or I-495, which is also very near a huge solar installation (just northeast of the intersection of I-95 and MA-110). This SC provides a good jumping-off point to the NH mountains and lake district (e.g. Conway).

I'd hope that the Portland SC negotiations continue, as that provides a link to the coastal US-1 route, not served by Augusta.