TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

New "No Parking" signs at Glen Allen, VA supercharger

Discussion in 'North America' started by wk057, Jan 25, 2015.

1. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I didn't see this noted elsewhere, but in the past 5 days new signs were added to the stalls in Glen Allen. They weren't there on Tuesday.

Official "No Parking Except Electric Vehicle Charging" on all 8 stalls.

2015-01-25 15.52.51.jpg

2015-01-25 15.53.15.jpg

I'm hoping this is the beginning of a trend...

2. swegman

swegman Member

Do we know whether these signs were installed by Tesla or an EV owner?

3. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

I personally don't know, but I doubt an EV owner would do so. Not here at least. I've seen a couple of stalls here ICEd, but I've also never seen more than 4 Model S here at the same time either. So doubt any EV owner was mad enough to spend time, money, and effort illegally placing these signs.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, Newark, DE has only 4 stalls that are frequently ICEd. (Two were when I passed through today...) These stalls have had the no parking signs for a while but some people don't seem to care. However, it would likely be a bigger issue if the no parking symbol wasn't there. Would be good if they were bigger signs, like these, in Newark, DE, though. I think the solution for Newark would be to add 4 stalls to the northbound side of the complex.

4. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Before I bought my car, I used to troll this supercharger to get a look at one. It is completely empty more often than not and I don't think I've ever seen more than 3 cars there. I seriously doubt any locals put up the signs -- it really isn't even in a section of the parking lot that attracts anyone to park there.

5. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

If I recall those spaces aren't too far from the Chili's, so the signs may be useful at times...

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

This should put this up in Bethesda. I dropped by last week and their were 5 Teslas parked there - everyone of them was done charging - but hadn't moved their cars. I really didn't need a charge so it was no big deal, but i was stunned the five cars would all park there and no move their cars after completing their charge cycle...

7. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Very likely demo cars from the store, I'd guess.

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Didn't realize there was a store there. I would have dropped by.

9. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I like the No Parking Signs, but I'm confused about the Red Tesla signs in the picture. Doesn't "General Parking" mean that ICEing is authorized? I would have expected to see the "No Parking Except for EV Charging" type signs under the Tesla ones that say, "Electric Vehicle Parking."

10. timf

timf Member

This is the one thing that really raises the question of who put the signs up. The whole purpose of the "General Parking" or time-limited spots is a compromise to the landlords to not take over their parking spots full-time. If it's the landlord putting up the signs, then they should all be signed as "Electric Vehicle Parking". Otherwise, only the full-time spots should have the No Parking signs.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

YES. That is fantastic. There is a serious problem with ICEing at the Woodstock, ON Supercharger and I was going to write to Tesla about using these signs.

12. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

The continued saga of parking and SpCs and charging and....

...my take on this is that TM made a strategic mistake at the beginning, although it is not too late to correct. ALL the signs should use only the word "charging" rather than having any mention of "parking". That would create, reinforce, imbue into all - not just Tesla owners and not just ICE drivers - that these slots really and truly are analogous to fuel station spots: they are NOT meant as parking sites.

Thus, we would have signs like "30 Minute Charging Only", "General Charging Only", "Tesla Charging Only" and so forth. AND...would probably (am sure this depends on locality-by-locality ordinances, though) avoid the need for TM to relegate some of those valuable 6 or 8 or so slots to handicap only - as, again, these are not parking spaces.

13. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

How could you tell they were all done charging?

14. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Maaaaybe the electric meter wasn't spinning...

15. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

#15 wk057, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Mine was spinning the other night charging the car and using aux electric heat...

16. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Doesn't the charge port blink green while charging? Perhaps none of them were blinking.....

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Only when the car starts charging. It stops when the car locks after you walk away.

18. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

You can tell you are drawing some power when you can HEAR your meter before you get close enough to see it...

19. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I always charge in my garage with the doors unlocked so I didn't realize it stopped blinking when locked. Sorry.

20. liuping

liuping Active Member

It also blinks it's status if you touch button on the handle, so you can check them that way at Superchargers, though not from a distance.