TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New noise

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Steveb48, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Steveb48

Steveb48 Member

Hi All,

Last night my car started making a noise like a fan with a bad bearing near the headlight on the passengers side.
    It doesn't mater if the AC is on, at least in the cabin. I'm trying to make a service appointment but the app just spins on
    "Getting Appointment Details".

Any ideas on what the noise is and if it's safe to drive? Any ideas how to get the app to get past the spin?

thanks,
    Steve

2. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

There is a fan there, you can get it fairly easily by popping the plastics around the frunk - I would check if anything got stuck in the fan. I once had a sticker fall off the wire harness fall into the fan and make a whole lot of noise.

3. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

The firmware increases the motor speed of the cooling system. The noise increased in my car, too, but the tech said it was normal. In very cold weather the equipment runs faster to keep the battery warm.

4. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

Careful, whenever a tech says this is normal it usually means:

A: its normal
    B: I have no idea
    C: theres a bigger issue but I'm not gonna mention that to you and send you on your way and refer you back to A.

If the fans are running faster it would cool the system not warm it up. When your hot do you turn your fan on to

A: COOL down
    B: warm up

;)