Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Nomad delivered today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just following up on this thread.....when I got my Nomad they also included $5 to buy a splitter, this is the one they recommended from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked it up and hooked everything up, seems to be working perfectly. So now I have the left side of the Nomad plugged in the left USB port. The right USB port has the splitter coming out.....I have my flash drive for cam on the data side of the splitter, and I have the right side of the Nomad plugged into the charging side of the splitter.

Seems like it's working, I don't know what watts I'm charging at but in theory it should be better compared to both chargers sharing one port, right? So far so good.....

Just following up on this thread.....when I got my Nomad they also included $5 to buy a splitter, this is the one they recommended from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KX4TKH6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked it up and hooked everything up, seems to be working perfectly. So now I have the left side of the Nomad plugged in the left USB port. The right USB port has the splitter coming out.....I have my flash drive for cam on the data side of the splitter, and I have the right side of the Nomad plugged into the charging side of the splitter.

Seems like it's working, I don't know what watts I'm charging at but in theory it should be better compared to both chargers sharing one port, right? So far so good.....
Some people report that they can charge two Iphones with just one port. However, I found that one port wouldn't charge two Android phones. So undoubtedly there are more watts delivered with the two ports. Even with Iphones, I would imagine faster charging if the two ports were used.

yep correct, I had my Nomad charging both iPhones with one USB port......but decided to add the splitter and see if I can notice a difference. Honestly, if I don't charge enough on a long trip or something while using Waze, I can just attach my phone to the higher output 12V source in the console for a while, no big deal.

Mine charges 1 iPhone and 1 Samsung s7 simultaneously, with dash cam working off splitter. Not sure the charge rate although Samsung phone did not indicate “fast charging”. Both have otterbox cases. I could close lid with 1 phone, but oddly it won’t close with both in there. Nice product so far

My nomad was a Xmas present, but it came with 2 splitter wires. I can’t imagine the giver thought to order me something they didn’t include with the nomad order

Mine didn't have the splitter cables, so they included $5. I purchased the splitter to use on one side, but two is even better!

By the way, the splitter they recommended has a red stripe on the wire that can be used for charging. The other wire is data only.

Mine didn't have the splitter cables, so they included $5. I purchased the splitter to use on one side, but two is even better!

By the way, the splitter they recommended has a red stripe on the wire that can be used for charging. The other wire is data only.

I could be wrong, but I thought actually both sides of the splitter work for charging, but only one side also works for data?

The latest version of Nomad comes with two splitters, specifically for the USB cam. Mine came with those and shipped just before Christmas. Yours should come with them as the Nomad page states there are two USB splitters included. Overall, for Nomad, it is cheaper than the battery backup they used to include so probably not a big issue to include them for the price.

I skipped this and use a multi port USB plug-in from the link below. I want the ability to charge other devices if I need to via the front just in case. I run the USB cam and one side of the wireless charger off the USB plug-in. Charging is not affected. USB cam is not affected. I get the same rate of charge from either side. No issue with USB cam recording and saving.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LRYUJQS/ref=twister_B07F8JBMQ9?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The latest version of Nomad comes with two splitters, specifically for the USB cam. Mine came with those and shipped just before Christmas. Yours should come with them as the Nomad page states there are two USB splitters included. Overall, for Nomad, it is cheaper than the battery backup they used to include so probably not a big issue to include them for the price.

I skipped this and use a multi port USB plug-in from the link below. I want the ability to charge other devices if I need to via the front just in case. I run the USB cam and one side of the wireless charger off the USB plug-in. Charging is not affected. USB cam is not affected. I get the same rate of charge from either side. No issue with USB cam recording and saving.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00LRYUJQS/ref=twister_B07F8JBMQ9?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I bought this splitter already after reading about splitters and USB music, charging etc:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKK4C52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine right now for both USB and music, so I figure i can just move things around and use it when I get the nomad. I bought a couple of splitters from amazon too, that say they work for one side data and charge, and other side charge, but the data side did not work for charging my iPhone even though it was supposed to.

Im just excited to get the nomad, as I am looking forward to not worrying about plugging my phone in and still getting power on my commute.

+1 for the 2 splitter crew!
I have not done much testing, aside from making sure my dashcam feature worked while plugged in to a splitter. I used both splitters and plugged in one Nomad chardger cable to each, then added the dashcam to the left one.
As my wife has an older phone, I plugged in the Tesla phone connector to the other splitter and am keeping it routed back in to the lower right corner of that console area. I’ve yet to test if that affects my phone’s charging, because it means two charging cables on the same splitter (Nomad + Tesla phone connector). Am not expecting it to allow charging three phones, and that is perfectly fine by me. Only two humans fit up front in this car. No bench seating.

No clue what a stick-on wallet is.....but I have an iphoneX with a soft Apple protective case, works perfectly.

cubi_029_470_120_cardninja_black_1324250.jpg