Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Noob Owner- Necessary accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most critical need is an Xbox controller and the USB wireless adapter so you can play some of the games such as Beach Buggy and Cat's Quest! No seriously, it is nice to have something to do when you are sitting in a parking lot for 30+ minutes waiting for someone else.

You need a USB stick or SSD drive for Sentry mode to work.
I do agree with the all weather floor mats.
How do you plan to charge the EV? Might need a 14-50 or 14-30 adapter.
Sun shade is a good thing.
The stock interior/puddle lights are dim. I wasn't sure until I got a few from Abstract Ocean and replaced the stock lights. WOW. Sadly, now have to buy more and replace the rest.
Screen protector is a good thing.
I think the key fob is bulky and too expensive, so did not get it. The phone works 99.5% of the time. Just make sure to have the key card with you for that 0.5%.
Learn how to set dog mode... even if you don't have dogs. In the winter or summer, leaving the car for an hour+ and having it use dog mode will not affect range very much (a few miles of range) but it is really, really nice to come back to a car that is not cold or baking.

Good luck.
May the (Tesla) force be with you.

I have an early production car so all my accessories may not apply.
- lights from Abstract Ocean - trunk, footwell and puddle so far. Easy to install and really cool. Trunk light especially is much brighter than original
- mini compressor and tire repair kit from amazon (about $60?). Fits nicely in frunk. Haven't had to use the repair kit but I have used the compressor to top off my tires a few times.
- high quality tire pressure gauge - analog so I don't have to worry about battery being dead
- Roof sunshade from Tesla. Kinda pricey but well made and worth it (I'm in AZ)
- Center console wrap
- High quality and capacity USB drive
- Charging mat for phone
- Spotify premium account - once I got this I had no longer had need for any of my music on USB. Spotify quality has been superb.

I don't understand the need for a screen protector. It's thin plastic, not armor, so it won't protect from impacts. Maybe if I wore a ring with a stone I'd be worried about scratches. The only benefit I see would be possibly to reduce glare which can be a problem.

Might consider another charging cable to keep in the trunk. They are expensive but used ones are available. I'd also need another 14-50 adapter to be fully prepared. Fortunately, in 70k miles I've never had need for anything outside of Superchargers when on the road.

I like the game controller idea some have suggested. The steering wheel controls make some of the games almost impossible.

I don't understand the need for a screen protector. It's thin plastic, not armor, so it won't protect from impacts. Maybe if I wore a ring with a stone I'd be worried about scratches. The only benefit I see would be possibly to reduce glare which can be a problem.
Note, almost all of the screen protectors out there for Model 3 are tempered glass, not plastic. It's not really to protect from impacts, more from scratches, and some have coatings that make it so fingerprints don't show up as easily. Plus as you mention you can get ones that help with glare.

Last edited:
So far, I've ordered storage compartment inserts for the middle and front armrest compartments (they haven't gotten here yet), a set of bag hooks for the trunk (note: I found that the '21 M3 only has 1 exposed screw back there... so you can only use 1), and a white silicon license plate frame. Also ordered the wall connector which I have going into a 14-50 plug. Oh, and the key fob since I have to leave my phone in a box at work... so I didn't want phone key.

Debating if I want the garage door opener as I'm not sure if it's worth $300 (should have come standard).

Debating if I want the garage door opener as I'm not sure if it's worth $300 (should have come standard).

I have a 2018 so it came with Homelink and I have to say it might just be my favorite feature of the entire car. Just the fact that it automatically opens and closes my garage door as I leave and arrive is so awesome. I know it's inconsequential compared to Autopilot etc, but for some reason I just love it.

I have a 2018 so it came with Homelink and I have to say it might just be my favorite feature of the entire car. Just the fact that it automatically opens and closes my garage door as I leave and arrive is so awesome. I know it's inconsequential compared to Autopilot etc, but for some reason I just love it.

Oh neat - I knew it would pop up on the screen automatically, but didn't know about the open/close thing. How far away do you have to go for it do to that? If you're not going far (say car wash in the driveway), will it close?

Easy to install? Do you know a trick because everything I read and even videos I've seen it seems like a royal PIA, primarily the accelerator pedal.
I installed mine with no issues. it does take a little time and some patience. Best to do it on a hot day as it makes the rubber a little softer. Leave them out in the sun for an hour before installing. Strong fingers also help!

Easy to install? Do you know a trick because everything I read and even videos I've seen it seems like a royal PIA, primarily the accelerator pedal.

chinese manufacturing tolerances. When I put my silver/aluminum ones on it literally sat there for an hour before the accelerator pedal one would go on.

More recently I bought some black ones (same style but just black rather than aluminium. fits better with my stealth performance). Went on fine in <1min.

Oh neat - I knew it would pop up on the screen automatically, but didn't know about the open/close thing. How far away do you have to go for it do to that? If you're not going far (say car wash in the driveway), will it close?

auto open is fantastic and worth the $300 imo.

you train the car where it should send the signal and the distance away from that point. depending on your situation, it may take a little experimenting to find the optimal settings. in my case, our house is on the entrance corner of our neighborhood so I have the distance set low so that driving by the house doesn't send the open command. it gives you the ability to abort the commands but you need to be quick and hit the little stop button at the right moment.

I don't use auto close because I don't think it is safe enough in our situation.

Reactions: eisenb11
$300 is definitely steep for homelink, but I agree with the poster above that it's really a great feature. It sounds silly, but hearing that ding and not having to manually open/close the garage door is nice. I'd buy it again. Remember, the installation is included in that $300.

For other accessories, I recommend Abstract Ocean. They're great- they sell everything you see elsewhere, but it's the best versions. Their support is also great with videos, user reviews, and they even have a little loyalty/point system.

I've purchased the HD screen protector, noise reduction kit, center console tray, and center console wrap.

Be careful with Jeda. They over promise and under deliver. I waited 6 months for my USB hub. Others waited even longer.

It's really easy to go crazy buying accessories.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
On cars where homelink is an option it runs in the $250 range but sometimes that also includes an auto dimming mirror. however it doesn't include a technician coming to you house and installing it in your driveway.

In other words, it may be overpriced, but it isn't ridiculously overpriced. I'd buy it again if my next one doesn't have it.