Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Noob Owner- Necessary accessories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
auto open is fantastic and worth the $300 imo.

you train the car where it should send the signal and the distance away from that point. depending on your situation, it may take a little experimenting to find the optimal settings. in my case, our house is on the entrance corner of our neighborhood so I have the distance set low so that driving by the house doesn't send the open command. it gives you the ability to abort the commands but you need to be quick and hit the little stop button at the right moment.

I don't use auto close because I don't think it is safe enough in our situation.
What if the door is already open when I come home? Will it close it?

mine wont. I had this very concern so I built an opener just for the tesla that will only open the door if it is closed.

some openers have this capability built in. mine did but for some reason the tesla wouldn't store the open only code, just the toggle code which defeated the purpose.

so I built an opener just for the tesla
You mean you installed a garage door opener (Chamberlain, or whatever, the operator that opens and closes the door) that could handle this?

Seems that garage doors are like a lot of TVs. The signal to open / close is the same as the signal to power on off.

A problem with TVs and universal remotes. You push a button to turn on everything - cable box and TV for example. But you end up turning off the cable box and the TV goes on, and vise versa.

On a garage door pressing a button will close it if its open and open if closed.

Easy to install? Do you know a trick because everything I read and even videos I've seen it seems like a royal PIA, primarily the accelerator pedal.
I did mine two years ago. So my memory is a little faint but I remember being worried after watching videos on YouTube and for me it was pretty easy. The brake pedal is easier. You remove the existing pedal and it’s easy to slide the new one on. The accelerator goes over the existing pedal so it’s harder. I can’t recall exactly but I went from top to bottom or the other way and had my fingers underneath so I could stretch the lips of the new pedal over as I slid onto the old pedal. It squeezed my fingers pretty good but I got it on in one or two tries. Maybe I got lucky?

I hope it’s just a rare gift of skill since I have a Y on the way and will be doing it again soon. ;-)

I’m surprised at the number of people who think a screen protector is necessary. The screen isn’t a cell phone that you move everywhere in all kinds of environments, it just sits there in your car. I’ve had my car for nearly two years and the screen looks like the day it was delivered. But, it’s cheap peace of mind if you want it.

In no particular order:

Floor mats
Frunk & trunk mats
Homelink
PPF - I did hood, bumper, fenders
Aero caps
14-50 adapter
Air pump, patch kit, or spare & jack
Tint - I did 35% on all glass except windshield
Ceramic coating
My wife doesn’t own a cell phone (refuses) so she has has a fob - works great
Frunk power lift from Tesla Offer (don’t buy Hansshow). I know this is a luxury item, but it turns a rather useless frunk into my goto space for light groceries and fast food.

I’m surprised at the number of people who think a screen protector is necessary. The screen isn’t a cell phone that you move everywhere in all kinds of environments, it just sits there in your car. I’ve had my car for nearly two years and the screen looks like the day it was delivered. But, it’s cheap peace of mind if you want it.

In no particular order:

Floor mats
Frunk & trunk mats
Homelink
PPF - I did hood, bumper, fenders
Aero caps
14-50 adapter
Air pump, patch kit, or spare & jack
Tint - I did 35% on all glass except windshield
Ceramic coating
My wife doesn’t own a cell phone (refuses) so she has has a fob - works great
Frunk power lift from Tesla Offer (don’t buy Hansshow). I know this is a luxury item, but it turns a rather useless frunk into my goto space for light groceries and fast food.

how hard is the frunk power lift to install? And is there a reason you don't recommend hansshow?

how hard is the frunk power lift to install? And is there a reason you don't recommend hansshow?

I found the power frunk relatively easy to install, especially if you follow Frugal Tesla Guy’s excellent step-by-step installation videos. It’s far easier to install than a power trunk kit. But it will take a first-timer a couple of hours - it isn’t installing floor mats.

I installed the Hansshow kit which worked for almost a year until it didn’t and Hansshow support failed to honor their warranty. The frunk lift failed in the closed position and Tesla had to break into my frunk at a cost to me of $675. After 4 months of back and forth with Hansshow replacing only some of the parts I had returned to them and them wanting to charge me $200 more for the correct parts, I gave up.

You can read all about my sad tale here: Problem with Hansshow Support

L
ike the Frugal Tesla Guy, I switched to Tesla Offer’s frunk lift kit and am happy with the product and the support. A search of Tesla Motor Club will show many other’s having trouble with their Hansshow frunks, though to date I’m the only one I know of who had their’s completely fail while closed. I’d never recommend Hansshow, ever.

I love my Tesla Offer frunk kit because it makes the unfriendly frunk worthwhile. Opening and closing from my phone or the screen inside is simply a pleasure.

You mean you installed a garage door opener (Chamberlain, or whatever, the operator that opens and closes the door) that could handle this?

Seems that garage doors are like a lot of TVs. The signal to open / close is the same as the signal to power on off.

A problem with TVs and universal remotes. You push a button to turn on everything - cable box and TV for example. But you end up turning off the cable box and the TV goes on, and vise versa.

On a garage door pressing a button will close it if its open and open if closed.

No. I designed a new receiver using a different wireless relay and magnetic switch. It will only open the door if it detects that it is closed. This was a requirement for me from a safety point of view.

It actually took quite a bit of experimenting to find the right rx that the tesla would learn and had useable range. One version I designed was actually as sophisticated as the myq wifi stuff (wifi/smart home control/web page with status/safe open and close) but the rf receiver had only about a 10' range with the door open. at that point I gave up and went back to an intermediate solution which uses this 433mhz relay and works 30'+ away:

https://www.amazon.com/eMylo-Wirele...ords=emylo+433mhz+relay&qid=1614691839&sr=8-4

and this magnetic reed switch:

https://www.amazon.com/SM-226L-3Q-S...etic+garage+door+switch&qid=1614691900&sr=8-5

Also, almost every piece of home theater equipment sold in the last 20+ years has what are called discrete codes that only turn it on, off, switch to specific inputs, etc. Even cheap tvs have them. You just need to know how to find and use them. Automated remote controls need them to properly do things like turn the system on and switch to the dvd player, or whatever.

My liftmaster garage door actually has this feature as well. You can put it in a mode where the 3 button remotes operate this way. 1 button only opens if it is closed, 1 button closes if open, and 1 button will toggle (open or close like normal). However the tesla wouldn't learn the open only button. if I teach it open only button it would play back the toggle. I'm not sure how the rf codes work and if this was a tesla/homelink issue or something with the opener receiver. it was really frustrating though.

I may experiment again with the smart one if I get bored. It was a much better solution overall if I can get acceptable range.