Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard that Octopus are offering some alternative time starts for their off-peak tariffs, as well as a 4.5p tariff for 3 hours instead of 4 and 5.5p for 5 hours - something like that. Speculation is that they are trying to spread the starting times and load. I've heard nothing from them directly. It seems it's invitation-only at present.

Weirdly, I came across some data from a week in November a few years back and we're actually consuming less kWh than we did back then even though we're charging the car most nights. Granted neither of our kids are at home now, but still.

If you want an Octopus referral :) please PM!

Lucky you lot being able to think about cheap overnight tariffs!! We have virtually no mobile reception where we live and certainly nothing strong enough to satisfy a smart meter requirement. So no smart meter means no cheap off peak tariffs unless we go retrograde on economy 7. Unless anybody can suggest something better?

Lucky you lot being able to think about cheap overnight tariffs!! We have virtually no mobile reception where we live and certainly nothing strong enough to satisfy a smart meter requirement. So no smart meter means no cheap off peak tariffs unless we go retrograde on economy 7. Unless anybody can suggest something better?
IMHO Economy7 is perfectly adequate.
I'm getting 8.9p per kW/h. Even if I were to charge the car fully (which you couldn't do on the Octopus Go cheap time anyway), the difference in cost would be just less than £3. Realistically it will be a lot less than this in most usage cases, and the cheaper rate lasts for 3 more hours.
Is it worth the aggro?

Reactions: WannabeOwner
unless we go retrograde on economy 7

How much is your E7 tarrif? For anyone on a fairly high mileage 4 hours per night isn't enough anyway, plus E7 has the ability to charge the hour before going to work for most people, so battery is warm, whereas 4 Hour rates the battery will be cold again before departure. Some further potential benefit from the rest of the house using E7 rate over 7 night hours ...

But Smart Meters will allow for Time-of-Use rates, so folk that can take advantage of that might well pay nothing for their juice ...

I have heard that Octopus are offering some alternative time starts for their off-peak tariffs, as well as a 4.5p tariff for 3 hours instead of 4 and 5.5p for 5 hours - something like that. Speculation is that they are trying to spread the starting times and load. I've heard nothing from them directly. It seems it's invitation-only at present.

Weirdly, I came across some data from a week in November a few years back and we're actually consuming less kWh than we did back then even though we're charging the car most nights. Granted neither of our kids are at home now, but still.

Wow id be up for the 5 hour at 5.5p tariff. I am in process of joining Octopus now - hopefully the switch happens end this week then I can call to get Smart Meter installed and move to Go in 2 - 4 weeks realistically.

Do you know if the customer can choose the 5 hour window? Or will it be 00:30 -> 05:30?

Wow id be up for the 5 hour at 5.5p tariff. I am in process of joining Octopus now - hopefully the switch happens end this week then I can call to get Smart Meter installed and move to Go in 2 - 4 weeks realistically.

Do you know if the customer can choose the 5 hour window? Or will it be 00:30 -> 05:30?
Details not very clear at the moment. Only a few people have apparently been offered it (and not me, dammit :) )

I joined Octopus on the 10th October 2019 on the 27th October my account switched over to them. I have just had a phone call saying they can install my meter on the 19th November, They said it takes about a week after the install before they get all the details from the installer after that I can switch to the go tariff. so hopefully buy the end of the month.

good luck with getting onto Go. I’ve been waiting a year now for compatible smart meters.

4 Hour rates the battery will be cold again before departure
Ah, but if the "new" Go offer is intended to also "encourage" users to stagger the start of their 4 hours you could start at 4:30am? Of course, if everyone did the same thing then it wouldn't help spread the load at all.

hopefully the switch happens end this week then I can call to get Smart Meter installed and move to Go in 2 - 4 weeks realistically

Already had Secure "Liberty 100" smart meters fitted by EDF a few years back and changed from Bulb (who were unable to use the meter readings) to Octopus last December, they were able to use the meter.

A fortnight or so ago, as delivery day approached, I used the web page one evening to change over to Go and it was active from midnight the same night. From memory they only needed to >24 hours of 30 minute data points from the meter in order to confirm that it works and then you can switch.