Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too moved from OVO and had their SMETS1 Secure branded smart meters.

I transferred to Octopus on a Friday on their standard tariff, and by the following Monday I was live on the GO tariff. They will only fit a SMETS1 meter as a last resort, because SMETS1 installs do not count towards their smart meter targets. Pester them!

Coming up to 4 months since I tried to switch, paying 25% more than I was because I'm on their 'standard tariff' and no end in sight, due to the inability of their support people to remember the things they were told the previous week, or indeed what their own installers said..

Keep track of your bills ... Octopus will reimburse you once the intended tariff is initiated.

Without getting into politics do we know where the north south divide is for this? Sutton Coldfield is not exactly in the North by most objective measures. I am at a similar latitude. Mine was fitted in about 5 weeks and seems to work. no idea which network it is on though.

The only image I found with a divider is https://www.speakev.com/attachments/31aa98f3-0c58-4a99-9e1a-98349365fbff-png.125438/

But I doubt it's really a straight line, so no idea where the actual boundary is.

I asked for one and they didn't even reply to the question, which I took as a 'no'.
I sent the email straight after I clicked the button to move to Go and got a reply as if they hadn't even read my email and then sent another two weeks later which I seem to recall didn't get a reply but I got a phone call to discuss a date for install

I sent the email straight after I clicked the button to move to Go and got a reply as if they hadn't even read my email and then sent another two weeks later which I seem to recall didn't get a reply but I got a phone call to discuss a date for install

They probably hadn't read the first one.. :p I've had a few replies that have made me WTF.

Not convinced when you email a named person at octopus that person actually exists, because if they do these people have some kind of chronic short term memory loss.. It's more likely it goes into a pot and is picked up randomly, and they don't have anything like zendesk to track responses, hence the really wierd responses you get sometimes and the need to explain problems over and over again.

Hi, first post so hello everyone. Thinking of purchasing an EV in the near future and if we did would like to move to Octopus Go tarriff. Currently with eon and they have booked me to get a smart meter fitted next week. I asked if it will be a generation 2 meter that will be installed which the lady confirmed it will be. Will this be the correct type of meter required for the Octopus Go tarriff?

Hi, first post so hello everyone. Thinking of purchasing an EV in the near future and if we did would like to move to Octopus Go tarriff. Currently with eon and they have booked me to get a smart meter fitted next week. I asked if it will be a generation 2 meter that will be installed which the lady confirmed it will be. Will this be the correct type of meter required for the Octopus Go tarriff?

Hi Seadog, welcome :)

That's correct, it's the gen 2 meters (SMETS2) which allow switching between suppliers easier so you shouldn't have any trouble.

Make sure you use a referral prior to switching as you'll get £50 (and the person whose referral you use). If you haven't got one already, let me know and I'll happily oblige or someone else will help you out.

Any questions, please feel free to send my way.

EDIT: I'm sure you've looked already but it's worth checking with EON on whether there is an exit fee - this is usually stated on your bill.

Reactions: seadog
Welcome to the forum

You said that you’re thinking of getting an EV, but which one?

All SMETS2 meters will work with Octopus.

Very keen on a Tesla 3 LR or Performance (but haven't driven or even sat in one yet), main niggle is Edinburgh is the nearest dealer and service centre so it's a 360 miles round trip for me, fine if the car is perfect on delivery, but have read a few horror stories regarding multiple visits to get anything put right and problems with getting loan cars etc. This would be a nightmare for me because of my location so still trying to convince myself and my wife its worth going Tesla, but there really seems little competition for them in that sector. It's quite a basic package requirement really, a good quality family car with decent boot, good performance and range but I don't think any of the other mainstream makers are close to what Tesla offer yet.

Very keen on a Tesla 3 LR or Performance (but haven't driven or even sat in one yet), main niggle is Edinburgh is the nearest dealer and service centre so it's a 360 miles round trip for me, fine if the car is perfect on delivery, but have read a few horror stories regarding multiple visits to get anything put right and problems with getting loan cars etc. This would be a nightmare for me because of my location so still trying to convince myself and my wife its worth going Tesla, but there really seems little competition for them in that sector. It's quite a basic package requirement really, a good quality family car with decent boot, good performance and range but I don't think any of the other mainstream makers are close to what Tesla offer yet.
They really are well ahead of the competition in the EV game.

I had a test drive in a Model 3 Performance at Stockport, but in the end I decided the LR AWD was quite fast enough for me, and cheaper to insure too.

As you’re so far away from Edinburgh, perhaps one of our Scottish members on here can offer to take you for a ride in their Model 3, and a guided tour of the car?

All the calculations I did for my switch from Outfox the Market and owning our Tesla last Spring have turned out to be conservative. I've just requested a reduction in monthly payment from £156 to £140 and £500 returned from the rather large credit that has grown (though some of that is referral payments). Octopus have responded very positively. Even £140 is, possibly, excessive.

I'm not sure when Octopus will revise the GO tariff pricing (which will surely happen sooner or later) but, if anything, I'm adapting to charging the car and other domestic demand off-peak even better now and can see my credit in the account continuing to rise, if more slowly. And a bonus for us free-supercharging Tesla Owners - we'll be doing over 1,000 miles from the end of next week in France for next to nothing in electricity cost (well, we will pay our friends for a bit of their electricity :) ) - that's probably £200 worth of petrol with our old car.

Reactions: Roy W.
All the calculations I did for my switch from Outfox the Market and owning our Tesla last Spring have turned out to be conservative. .

That mirrors my experience as well, both in the initial switch to Octopus Go and in the subsequent switch to the Octopus Agile tariff.

Modelling our usage against the different tariffs showed enough of a saving to make the move each time, but once moved, further tuning of use against the specific tariff greatly increased the expected savings.

Reactions: vitesse
For those on the Agile tariff (just switched from GO today) who have a Powerwall what settimgs do you use as the “off peak” on the powerwall. With Go it was simply between 00:30 and 04:30 but looking at yesterday’s data for example with Agile the best slot would be 03:30 to 06:30 where the price is at max 0.9 pence per Kwh. As a general rule would that be an ideal set and forget slot (also for the car?).

Last edited:
With Go it was simply between 00:30 and 04:30 but looking at yesterday’s data for example with Agile the best slot would be 03:30 to 06:30 where the price is at max 0.9 pence per Kwh. As a general rule would that be an ideal set and forget slot (also for the car?).

Short answer is no, there really isn't any ideal 'set and forget' slot.

I'm not using a Powerwall, but I still track the prices to pick a good time for recharge each night for the car.

3:30am is commonly the cheapest point for the night, but 3:30 - 6:30am are not typically the cheapest 3 hours of the night.

If you really have to set and forget then I'd suggest that 2:00 - 5:00am is probably better, but frankly, Agile isn't really aimed at 'set and forget' users, this is why some have spent a lot of time introducing automation to aspects like this.

Best idea would be to use the API and pull down a few months of data then make your own decision based on that, or use the information available here to help - Home - Energy Stats UK

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: im85288
Thanks for the detailed reply, I will be tracking things in more detail via their API and looking to maybe automate timed charging based on that in the future. I have checked out the Tesla API and can see things like starting a charge etc is indeed possible..just need to get some spare time and do some developing to get it all sorted.

Am I correct in thinking Teslafi is the only way at the moment to set a start time for the model 3 to charge? (Not including the API). Do you know of any decent IFTTT apps to look into?