Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it seems octopus rates varies a bit by region my Octopus go day rate is only 13.72p/KWh
I am in Shropshire
All providers have regional electricity pricing. This is because the cost of ‘delivery’ varies between DNOs. I think it’s a hangover from the good old days of regional electricity boards, where the electricity board was both the supplier and the DNO.

it seems octopus rates varies a bit by region my Octopus go day rate is only 13.72p/KWh
I am in Shropshire
Yes it's true of most suppliers, I think it's to do with how much energy they buy/generate and sell in each area plus local distribution network operator charges. I noticed a while back that Ecotricity, for example, don't ever seem to offer competitive rates in North Scotland. It seems to be swings and roundabouts though - an article on Uswitch says North Scotland and East Midlands are cheapest but the graphic below (for 2020 prices) suggests otherwise.

ScreenShot079.png

Has anyone successfully moved to Go from a Bulb tarrif with a SMETS 2 meter?

I'm currently with Bulb for both Gas and Electricity, they installed a SMETS 2 meter last April, since install the Gas meter automatically reports readings and shows on the IHD, but the electricity meter doesn’t report usage and doesn’t show in the IHD.

This is apparently not out of the ordinary for Bulb, there are pages of customers on their forums with the same issue, they are currently unable to resolve it.

So... has anyone else had a similar experience and successfully moved over to Octopus Go?

I emailed Octopus, after a lot of chasing they gave me a very vague answer which amounted to “complete the move and we’ll see if we can get it working” it didn’t fill me with much confidence!

I'm currently with Bulb for both Gas and Electricity, they installed a SMETS 2 meter last April, since install the Gas meter automatically reports readings and shows on the IHD, but the electricity meter doesn’t report usage and doesn’t show in the IHD.

This is apparently not out of the ordinary for Bulb, there are pages of customers on their forums with the same issue, they are currently unable to resolve it.

There appear to have been problems for many different suppliers trying to get the SMETS2 meters working properly. This is why Octopus have, in some cases, resorted to going back to using SMETS1 which reportedly are more likely to connect in borderline areas. If your meter problem turns out to be related to location then all the suppliers are going to be facing a similar issue.

Reactions: R.A.G
There appear to have been problems for many different suppliers trying to get the SMETS2 meters working properly. This is why Octopus have, in some cases, resorted to going back to using SMETS1 which reportedly are more likely to connect in borderline areas. If your meter problem turns out to be related to location then all the suppliers are going to be facing a similar issue.
Thanks, yeah I totally understand it’s not just a Bulb problem, hence my lack of confidence in Octopus managing to resolve what Bulb are currently unable to.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a geographical problem for me as Bulb are getting my gas readings ok, I think it’s just a commissioning problem. I’m just hoping someone else on here has been in the same boat, and managed to get onto Go as I’m keen to switch if it will work.

Reactions: Adopado

So... has anyone else had a similar experience and successfully moved over to Octopus Go?

I emailed Octopus, after a lot of chasing they gave me a very vague answer which amounted to “complete the move and we’ll see if we can get it working” it didn’t fill me with much confidence!
I have a Bulb SMETS2 smart meter which was installed back in June 2019.

It has been displaying in the IHD since then, but Bulb had been sending emails asking me to submit meter readings each month since. I assume they were unable to take readings themselves. That was until January when the email requests stopped. Looking at my Bulb app I can see that the last two months readings (for January and February) say “Smart” next to them as opposed to “Estimated” or “Customer”. Presumably Bulb have finally figured out how to take readings remotely.

To come back on topic, I’ve actually requested my switch to Octopus on 5th February, with an estimated switch date of 22nd February. Finger crossed Octopus can take readings from my smart meter and that they’re able to move me on to their Go tariff soon after the switch is completed.

FYI I’m based in London.

Moving from bulb with such a meter was the start of my saga (my IHD didn't work at all, though). Took a couple of months for Octopus to give up on it and try to install their own. Turns out not all smets2 are equal..

But if you're prepared to tough it out they'll try to get it working.

I have a Bulb SMETS2 smart meter which was installed back in June 2019.

It has been displaying in the IHD since then, but Bulb had been sending emails asking me to submit meter readings each month since. I assume they were unable to take readings themselves. That was until January when the email requests stopped. Looking at my Bulb app I can see that the last two months readings (for January and February) say “Smart” next to them as opposed to “Estimated” or “Customer”. Presumably Bulb have finally figured out how to take readings remotely.

To come back on topic, I’ve actually requested my switch to Octopus on 5th February, with an estimated switch date of 22nd February. Finger crossed Octopus can take readings from my smart meter and that they’re able to move me on to their Go tariff soon after the switch is completed.

FYI I’m based in London.

That’s sounds like progress, I think I’ll start chasing Bulb again, I would imagine it will be easier to switch provider with a working meter rather than the other way around.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.