Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks chaps. Have done a bit more digging and crunched some numbers (using a spreadsheet) and the closest offering from Octopus would be Super Green where they carbon offset gas (although they don't appear to use green gas like bulb) which is broadly similar in price. I'll stick with Bulb I think.

I have a Bulb SMETS2 smart meter which was installed back in June 2019.

It has been displaying in the IHD since then, but Bulb had been sending emails asking me to submit meter readings each month since. I assume they were unable to take readings themselves. That was until January when the email requests stopped. Looking at my Bulb app I can see that the last two months readings (for January and February) say “Smart” next to them as opposed to “Estimated” or “Customer”. Presumably Bulb have finally figured out how to take readings remotely.

To come back on topic, I’ve actually requested my switch to Octopus on 5th February, with an estimated switch date of 22nd February. Finger crossed Octopus can take readings from my smart meter and that they’re able to move me on to their Go tariff soon after the switch is completed.

FYI I’m based in London.

That’s sounds like progress, I think I’ll start chasing Bulb again, I would imagine it will be easier to switch provider with a working meter rather than the other way around.

I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Follow up from my previous post and my actual electricity switch experience.

My electricity was successfully switched over to Octopus on 22 February, right on schedule. I was put on to a fixed flat rate tariff initially. I was told that once the which was completed, Octopus would verify that they could take half hourly readings from my existing SMET2 meter before offering me the opportunity to move onto the Octopus Go tariff.

Well today I received an email from Octopus confirming that they can indeed take readings directly from my existing smart meter (I’m even able to view my half hourly usage history via their website). Now all I have to follow the instructions in the email to request transfer over to the Go tariff, which I’ll be switched over to from midnight after submitting my transfer request. I plan to do this on Saturday so should be on the Go tariff from Sunday.
0B26403A-800F-4F5D-9736-311B31F34BB7.jpeg 43157A04-F53A-4FFD-95A7-869726A77FFD.jpeg

FYI looks like the Go tariff is fixed for 12 months and not a variable tariff, which some had suggested in earlier posts.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau and Roy W.
Go has always been a fixed tariff, it is Agile that is the variable one.

The GO electricity tariff is variable, so no fixed term, no guarantee it won’t change. The gas tariff is fixed for 12 months.

They do seem to have quite a fair pricing policy, I read a while ago that they reduced some of their rates last year in line with wholesale prices. Also I imagine they are getting shedloads of new customers from pushing the GO tariff, and remember they don’t charge exit fees, so there’s two more reasons for them to stay competitive.

Don’t forget to use my referral code if you do decide to switch :) (Shameless...)

Thanks @Mark_T

It was this post by @Roy W. that had confused me.

So just to clarify: the Octopus Go tariff is indeed fixed for 12 month. In my region the rates are:

25p standing charge
14.71p peak rate (4:30-0:30)
5p off peak rate (0:30-4:30)

Go has always been a fixed tariff, it is Agile that is the variable one.

So just to clarify: the Octopus Go tariff is indeed fixed for 12 month. In my region the rates are:

25p standing charge

Correct, the Go tariff is fixed for 12 months from your start date on the tariff.

You will see something like this on your bills:

upload_2020-2-26_9-12-11.png

Note that those figures are ex-VAT (5%)

So far at least, there has been no change in the tariff even after the first 12 months...

They do actually issue electricity bills? Only been waiting 6 months for one

If nothing is appearing in your bill section on the web portal I'd be inclined to give them a nudge.

If you are not yet on a smart tariff with them then the trigger for a charge and a bill is usually your submission of a meter reading so that could be as frequent as you want.

If you are on a smart tariff then the charges and the bills should be happening at roughly monthly intervals.

If nothing is appearing in your bill section on the web portal I'd be inclined to give them a nudge.

If you are not yet on a smart tariff with them then the trigger for a charge and a bill is usually your submission of a meter reading so that could be as frequent as you want.

If you are on a smart tariff then the charges and the bills should be happening at roughly monthly intervals.
I get gas bills when I submit the readings but have not had an electricity bill since I joined on my dumb meter and then changed to a SMETS1. I'm not overly worried as I have more than enough money in my account to pay the bill.

Thanks @Mark_T

It was this post by @Roy W. that had confused me.

25p standing charge
My apologies. My bad. I’ve checked and you’re correct. What confused me is that I’m actually on the GO Faster trial tariff, and my own account doesn’t show an end date for any fixed term.

• Helpful
Reactions: mo.dilwar
I switched December 15th, still waiting for the meter. Now complained as costing more due to charging i3 until Tesla arrives. So dont hold your breath for the 6 weeks. could be 6 months
if you complain enough they will compensate you. Not being on Go was costing me £10 per week. and they said they would compensate me after the meter was fitted and it was all sorted. in the end I did not actually take them up on it but the offer was there.
They did give me £30 though after I fed back that the installer was not great i.e. being late (outside his fitting window), not phoning to say he would be late. not phoning to say on his way etc ( all stuff he was supposed to do). I had to go out in the end and only my Nest doorbell saved me from missing him altogether.

I get gas bills when I submit the readings but have not had an electricity bill since I joined on my dumb meter and then changed to a SMETS1. I'm not overly worried as I have more than enough money in my account to pay the bill.
might want to think about moving the gas. no dual fuel discount on octopus. I am about to move mine. probably to gulf energy. should save about £200 per year

might want to think about moving the gas. no dual fuel discount on octopus. I am about to move mine. probably to gulf energy. should save about £200 per year

Gulf is currently more expensive than Octopus for me...

You can change tariffs any time with Octopus at no cost and currently they have the same unit price for gas as Gulf, but with a lower standing charge for my post code...

upload_2020-2-26_11-29-35.png

If you don't get a bill within a month or so of the SMETS1 install I'd still raise it with them as it suggests there is a config problem with your account.

I assume the SMETS1 data is showing up OK online?

If there are gaps in the data that can cause the billing to pause and requires some manual intervention.

If you don't get a bill within a month or so of the SMETS1 install I'd still raise it with them as it suggests there is a config problem with your account.

I assume the SMETS1 data is showing up OK online?

If there are gaps in the data that can cause the billing to pause and requires some manual intervention.
Data is showing just fine. Meter was installed 23/09 and the only missing day of data I'm aware of is 12/12 which means I should at least have had October and November generate

The most frustrating delay for me moving over to the Go tariff has been the delay between SMETS2 meter install, and the new tariff starting.
Currently now 3 weeks in, but at least I have now had a vague promise of 'next week' and an even more vague promise of some credit to my account for the delay.
I think they have over-stretched themselves with new customers and service is suffering,