Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is this on the app? If someone can tell me and let me have a referral code, I would be very grateful.

I added referral code after signup too - though for me it was just available via the account dashboard on normal web interface, I think near bottom of the page? I added it within one or two days of switching, not sure if that option would disappear after a while.

I've seen others on here have been able to add by contacting the customer service. (and you have mine in your DM's :) )

There seemed to be some comments above that they expire after some time?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick.....
It was that you couldn't use someone else's code retrospectively after a certain time. I'm pretty sure Octopus are very happy for all its customers to sign up as many more customers as possible; I'm waiting for the invite to a special commendation event for @Roy W. :) :D (only kidding; well done Roy for being so quick off the mark!)

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
It was that you couldn't use someone else's code retrospectively after a certain time. I'm pretty sure Octopus are very happy for all its customers to sign up as many more customers as possible; I'm waiting for the invite to a special commendation event for @Roy W. :) :D (only kidding; well done Roy for being so quick off the mark!)
You’ll be the first on my invitation list! ;)

Reactions: vitesse
Test drove the Mini Electric I’m getting for my progeny today. One interesting feature was the ability to program in your own off-peak charging slot, AND your departure time. Hope Tesla adds this as well.
9ED5FCB0-206E-4089-9BFE-7CB45E3602E6.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and drewpost
The smartgo tarrif from Octopus - off peak time from 00:30 to 04:30 - only 4 hours - not very helpful, should be something like 9 or 10pm upto 7am atleast. Any thoughts?
It's been fine for us. In the unusual event more than 4 hours charging is required to charge to the target level set, but it's not actually needed, I set Teslafi to stop charging at 4:30.

Reactions: Greenstar
The smartgo tarrif from Octopus - off peak time from 00:30 to 04:30 - only 4 hours - not very helpful, should be something like 9 or 10pm upto 7am atleast. Any thoughts?
I’ve found that I’m able to add 60% of battery charge in 4 hours. As I set my max charge to 90%, I make sure I charge my M3 before the battery charge drops below 30%.

I have the M3 scheduled to start charging at 0:30am when plugged in, and I leave it to charge to 90% and have seen that the charging completes before 4:30am

Edit: FYI I have an SR+

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenstar
You won’t find an off-peak period that long.

Actually, you can, EDF offers exactly that, but as usual the devil is in the detail...

They give you a low rate from 9pm - 7pm Monday to Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday, sounds great doesn't it...

Well lets take a look at the actual charges, £0.08/kWh, but that's the 'low' rate, the normal day rate is £0.165/kWh and £0.29/day standing charge.

So yes, the headlines sound good, but unless you have very little usage between 7am-9pm Mon-Fri. the low rate isn't low enough to offset the higher charge, and even the low rate all weekend doesn't help that much as it really isn't all that low.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Actually, you can, EDF offers exactly that, but as usual the devil is in the detail...

They give you a low rate from 9pm - 7pm Monday to Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday, sounds great doesn't it...

Well lets take a look at the actual charges, £0.08/kWh, but that's the 'low' rate, the normal day rate is £0.165/kWh and £0.29/day standing charge.

So yes, the headlines sound good, but unless you have very little usage between 7am-9pm Mon-Fri. the low rate isn't low enough to offset the higher charge, and even the low rate all weekend doesn't help that much as it really isn't all that low.

I just plugged in the above rates into my spreadsheet and worked out that Octopus Go is still the cheaper option for me. See below. Note I charged my car (from 50 to 90%, which was around 20 kWh of energy from the grid) on 2nd March during Octopus Go off peak hours. All costs include daily standing charge.

0E356EC1-9210-454E-B660-C443DEB39DCD.jpeg